none
Licensing and activating Windows 7 on multiple computers

Question

• I have a multi-part question and am not really sure how to ask, so here goes:
    We will be purchasing computers from Dell.  Because we have in excess of 4000 computers, we want to know the most efficient way to go in terms of the version of Windows to purchase/install.  We use Ghost to create images.

In terms of licensing and activating, is there a benefit of choosing Win 7 pro over Ultimate?

I have read that Enterprise and Ultimate are the same (except for volume licensing) - is this true?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hi, I'm pretty sure Ent and Ult are the same except Ult is aimed at home users on a 1 off licence and Ent is aimed at businesses via an Enterprise Agreement (or whatever MS call it this week) licence.

In a coporate environment, you would want to choose between Pro and Ent, not Ultimate. Enterprise edition has Bitlocker and the extra language options , so if you want to use these, you'll need Ent.

I can activate both Pro and Ent using our Enterprise Agreement keys but not Ultimate (at least, I don't believe so).

You'll need to install a KMS server (probably several with your number of computers). You can activate up to 6 KMS servers on one KMS licence key although this can be extended I believe. Once you get 25 PCs running Windows 7, activation will start. In the meantime, you can use a MAK key to activate IT/testing etc machines.

Hope this helps!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hi, I'm pretty sure Ent and Ult are the same except Ult is aimed at home users on a 1 off licence and Ent is aimed at businesses via an Enterprise Agreement (or whatever MS call it this week) licence.

In a coporate environment, you would want to choose between Pro and Ent, not Ultimate. Enterprise edition has Bitlocker and the extra language options , so if you want to use these, you'll need Ent.

I can activate both Pro and Ent using our Enterprise Agreement keys but not Ultimate (at least, I don't believe so).

You'll need to install a KMS server (probably several with your number of computers). You can activate up to 6 KMS servers on one KMS licence key although this can be extended I believe. Once you get 25 PCs running Windows 7, activation will start. In the meantime, you can use a MAK key to activate IT/testing etc machines.

Hope this helps!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Rob, that is my understanding as well.  Pro is the business edition of Windows 7 as is Enterprise.  However, you will need a Enterprise Agreement with software assurance to use the Enterprise edition, which will give you the ability to use BitLocker. 

JustinS
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Hello Eddythorm,

Add to Rob's answer, Windows 7 Enterprise can only be activated with a Volume License MAK or KMS key if it is not activated against a local KMS server. Enterprise requires a VL KMS/MAK out of the box or activation against a local KMS server. It can be rearmed up to 3 times.

Windows 7 Ultimate edition activates conventionally via the internet to Microsoft activation servers.

Since you are in a business enterprise environment, then Windows 7 Enterprise should be your choice. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Andy

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:28 AM
  • Ok,  What about the Technet Subcription keys?  how many Enterprise activations are available with the single key you get with your TechNet Plus/
    Friday, November 06, 2009 4:23 PM