none
Windows Update Very long time to Install

Question

• Hi, I installed Windows 7 64 bit RC1 and then ran windows update.  Just for kicks I basically selected all available updates.  The installation process is taking forever.  It has now been running for nearly 24 hours and is on update 19 out of 40.

There is a warning that language installs can take a long time, but I thought that meant maybe a few hours at most.

This is on a Core 2 duo laptop less than a year old (Sony Vaio), which has not shown any previous signs of being sluggish under Vista.

Is it dangerous to abort the updates?  Is it normal for them to take this long on RC1?
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:46 PM

Answers

• Ok, so the download time is in a normal range. As for the language pack install times, you may consider they will be different depending from the language. I've installed two besides English - German (DE) and Spanish (INT) - which wasn't a big problem as the changes provided by each language pack are relatively small. Some replacing of words, some minor changes to the keyboard layout. But if you want to switch between English and Chinese, just imagine how much changes must be provided only for proper font display (I don't know how many symbols there are in Chinese but it must be a lot compared with "letterized" languages). This alone could explain the long install times. - On the other hand, with the "test updates" there was no install time problem I could remember.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:13 PM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi -

no, I don't think an abort would be dangerous in this case. Cancel the updates and select a new update session, this time without all the language packs that you don't need (that must be roughly 1 G or more of unneeded data transfer). If the updates keep coming sluggish after doing that, it's another issue.

Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:16 PM
  • OK thanks for the advice.  Just to be clear, it is not the download that is sluggish it is the install.  The download completed in a couple of hours (about 1.2 GB).  Each language pack is taking at least an hour, sometimes much longer, to install, and the "test updates" that Microsoft sent out also took a long time as well.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Ok, so the download time is in a normal range. As for the language pack install times, you may consider they will be different depending from the language. I've installed two besides English - German (DE) and Spanish (INT) - which wasn't a big problem as the changes provided by each language pack are relatively small. Some replacing of words, some minor changes to the keyboard layout. But if you want to switch between English and Chinese, just imagine how much changes must be provided only for proper font display (I don't know how many symbols there are in Chinese but it must be a lot compared with "letterized" languages). This alone could explain the long install times. - On the other hand, with the "test updates" there was no install time problem I could remember.
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:13 PM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:06 PM