none
Windows Time starts/stops at system startup

Question

• According to the event log, when Windows 7 starts up, the "Windows Time" service starts, then stops.  In between is the event log entry below.

The Windows Time service was successfully sent a stop control.
     The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]
     Comment: None

There are no other events similar to this; "Windows Time" is the only service affected.  This has happened four restarts in a row.  Any ideas what's going on?  Thanks.

- Vince

Monday, August 08, 2011 5:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you run the following command to remove the trigger events, change the startup type of the Windows Time service from Manual to Automatic:

sc triggerinfo w32time delete

Or, run the following command defines the trigger event for your environment.

sc triggerinfo w32time start/networkon stop/networkoff

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:07 AM

All replies

• According to the event log, when Windows 7 starts up, the "Windows Time" service starts, then stops.  In between is the event log entry below.

The Windows Time service was successfully sent a stop control.
     The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]

There are no other events similar to this; "Windows Time" is the only service affected.  This has happened four restarts in a row.  Any ideas what's going on?  Thanks.

Actually, after checking the event log more thoroughly, I see this has happened upon every restart since I installed Win7 (on 7/29).  Which service was affected changed.  Here are the first four instances of 0x40030011; they from the first four startups after installation.

7/29/2011    20:08:56    4    0    7042  Service Control Manager
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM       zz   The Computer Browser service was success
    fully sent a stop control.   The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating S
    ystem: Network Connectivity (Planned)]   Comment: None

7/29/2011    21:15:08    4    0    7042  Service Control Manager
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM       zz   The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was su
    ccessfully sent a stop control.   The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operat
    ing System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]   Comment: None

7/30/2011    16:21:55    4    0    7042  Service Control Manager
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM       zz   The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was su
    ccessfully sent a stop control.   The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operat
    ing System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]   Comment: None

8/4/2011    21:23:49    4    0    7042  Service Control Manager
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM       zz   The Windows Time service was successfull
    y sent a stop control.   The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating Syste
    m: Network Connectivity (Planned)]   Comment: None
     - Vince

Monday, August 08, 2011 2:52 PM
  • And if I configure W32Time for delayed startup, I get

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control.

Unlike W32Time, NetBiosHelper restarts immediately after it stops.

I have found plenty of queries about 0x40030011(various services) but no solution.

Monday, August 08, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you run the following command to remove the trigger events, change the startup type of the Windows Time service from Manual to Automatic:

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:07 AM
  • I suggest you run the following command to remove the trigger events, change the startup type of the Windows Time service from Manual to Automatic:

Alex Zhao

Thanks, Alex.  I'll try that next time I restart.  That might be after quite a while since I want to give W32Time a chance to zero in on some consistent behavior.

Now, W32Time has two (start/stop) triggers of type 3 (domain join/leave).  Those don't seem particularly appropriate since I'm not in a domain.  Having read the MSDN docs on service triggers I'm comfortable monkeying with them.

Off topic:  Does anyone know what's the ideal behavior of W32Time after it has zeroed in on some consistent behavior?  Left alone, my PC would lose about 2 sec per day and W32Time is set to sync once a day.  What should I expect to see (ideally) if I monitored, for a day, my computer's time offset and the SystemTimeAdjustment?

- Vince

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Alex Zhao

Thanks, Alex.

As I said in an earlier post, there were domain join/leave triggers (no domain here?).  I removed them and set W32Time to Auto (I had it on Auto/Delayed to work around my problem.  I don't thoroughly understand it, but it's working OK now.  W32Time starts and stays started and there are no more event log entries about "planned" network outages at boot time.  If it gives me trouble in the future I'll try the triggers you mentioned.

Friday, August 12, 2011 2:27 AM