none
Xbox 360 controller (wired) and compatability with Windows 7

Question

• Ok, here's the scoop. I have an Xbox 360 controller and a plug 'n play kit for it. I have tried the normal solutions for hooking it up and getting it to recognize in Windows 7 (32 bit) Home Prem. Edition, and all I get is it is an 'Unspecified' device in the Control Panel, and as a result, it will not be recognized in games as a controller, and will not work. I have installed the proper drivers and the 360 Accessories for Windows, but even that doesn't recognize the controller when it is plugged into my USB 2.0 port. The driver is properly installed (Windows told me the driver was installed correctly when I first plugged in my controller, after installing the program from the Microsoft website), so I have no idea why it is not working. I have followed all the stepd that I can find. Please give me some assistance.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, make sure you have installed the latest driver:

Xbox 360 Accessories Software 1.2 32-bit for Windows 7
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/4/69446ACF-E625-4CCF-8F56-58B589934CD3/Xbox360_32Eng.exe

From device manager, is there any exclamation mark before the device? I would suggest uninstall and reinstall it again to check the result. Based on the following website, you may need to install the "MotioninJoy XBOX/PS3 Controller Emulator"  before installing the offical controler.

http://windows7themes.net/how-to-use-xbox-360-controller-on-windows-7-64-bit.html

Can it be recognized now?

If the issue persists, right click on the 'Unspecified' device, properties, under "Hardware tab", what is shown under "device functions"?

In addition, what is the model of your PC?
    Monday, January 04, 2010 5:38 AM
  • I tried all your options, and no dice. The Motionnjoy emulator, following the instructions from the official website (do the official install, then the Motioninjoy install) did not work. Kept giving me an error. I think it is because I have a 32 bit system, instead of the 64 bit system they have been using for their testing. My system specs are an MSI a6000 w/ Intel Core 2 Duo at T6600 rated at 2.2 GHz, 4.0 GB Ram, Win 7 32 bit Home Prem.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

What is the error when installing Motioninjoy? From the page they offer both 64 bit and 32 bit MotioninJoy XBOX/PS3 Controller Emulator, should download the 32 bit.

Did the XBOX work before installing windows 7? Was it an upgrade to windows7 or clean install?

I would suggest go to device manager, right click on the unspecified device, remove it, restart the computer and install the latest driver again to check the result.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

What is the error when installing Motioninjoy? From the page they offer both 64 bit and 32 bit MotioninJoy XBOX/PS3 Controller Emulator, should download the 32 bit.

Did the XBOX work before installing windows 7? Was it an upgrade to windows7 or clean install?

I would suggest go to device manager, right click on the unspecified device, remove it, restart the computer and install the latest driver again to check the result.

I could post the entire error message, but in essence, it is not rewriting things like it should for the use of the controller. I have no idea why it won't. The laptop came with Windows 7 installed, so I assume a clean install. The device manager does not show any errors.

At the Xbox forums, it says that the plug and play adapter I was using is not valid for connection into a computer, and that is only for charging a controller, not for connecting to anything other than a 360. So it won't show up connecting to a computer that way, which, to me, makes no sense. They say I am going to need to buy the wireless dongle to use them. If that is the case, fine, but still, seems kinda cheap to me.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 2:34 PM
  • I am sorry to say that the plug-n-play kit doesn't allow the controller to connect to a PC. I have tried this numerous times and looked at numerous forums. You either need a wireless usb adapter to catch the wireless signal from the controller, or you need a wired controller. the plug-n-play sends a charge through to the computer and therefore it can recognize the controller, but the cord doesn't send "game control signals" through it. you will need to use one of the above methods. i think im going to buy a wired controller myself, because it will also work with the 360 so it will get two uses. hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by TKD NiNjA Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:51 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:51 PM
  • All you need to do is get the driver and you will find it in this link .. give me your feed back

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming

XxVipeRxX
    Friday, January 22, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Plug 'n play kits work as chargers when they hook them up to your pc. Your pc recognizes the kit as a charger, not a controller. 

• Proposed as answer by razzer87 Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:51 AM
  • i have a inspiron 14 i3-4 gb ram and 1 gb ati radon with 64 bit

i have instaled xbox360_64Eng.exe software

after intalling it has be recognized by pc but it is not recognized while playing games

i have [moto gp utr 3],[ashes 2009],[delta force xtrem 2]

please help me.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Have you specified in game to use a controller? 
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:39 AM
  • hi, im havin the same problem as you, did u ever find a solution???
    Sunday, June 05, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

I think I have found a solution. As mentioned before wireless controller will not work with windows 7 when connected via play and charge. Windows will recognise it but you will not be able to use it in games. U need to by either Xbox wireless controller for windows or if you allready have one for your Xbox you will need a XBOX 360 Wireless USB Games Receiver 4 PC controller

Hope that helps.
    • Proposed as answer by DrBreak Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:33 PM
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:03 PM
  • It is called Plug & "Charge" Kit, not plug 'n play kit.

You can only charge the controller while connecting to PC, not use it as a PC gamepad.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:01 AM
  • its actually called a" play and charge kit"

but it also wont work on my alienware laptop,

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:30 AM
  • If you already have the software installed, go to programs and features and uninstall Microsoft XBOX 360 Accessories 1.2.

1) Download the drivers from http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=gaming

2) Choose Gaming > Xbox 360 Controller for Windows > Windows 7 64 bit > English.                                            Don’t run the drivers.  Save them to a folder. (Or Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows depending on your controller)

3) Right click the Xbox360_64Eng file in the folder you downloaded to and click "create shortcut"

4) Right click the shortcut you created.  Select properties.

5) On the compatibility tab in properties, click "Run this program in compatibility mode"                   Choose Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 1 as the compatibility mode. Apply setting and click ok.

6) Right Click on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator"

7) With your controller plugged in go to Device Manager.  You should see Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class. It located under Mice and other pointing if you do, you have arrived. If you don't, try this.

Continue only if you don’t see Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class in Device Manager

8) Right click the unknown device that shows a problem.

9) Update Driver Software > Browse My computer for Driver Software > Let Me Pick from a List of Drivers

10) Choose Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class > XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows

Ignore the warning.

Should work now.

• Proposed as answer by Cman333 Saturday, December 07, 2013 6:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:15 PM
  • If you already have the software installed, go to programs and features and uninstall Microsoft XBOX 360 Accessories 1.2.

1) Download the drivers from http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=gaming

2) Choose Gaming > Xbox 360 Controller for Windows > Windows 7 64 bit > English.                                            Don’t run the drivers.  Save them to a folder. (Or Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows depending on your controller)

3) Right click the Xbox360_64Eng file in the folder you downloaded to and click "create shortcut"

5) On the compatibility tab in properties, click "Run this program in compatibility mode"                   Choose Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 1 as the compatibility mode. Apply setting and click ok.

7) With your controller plugged in go to Device Manager.  You should see Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class. It located under Mice and other pointing if you do, you have arrived. If you don't, try this.

Continue only if you don’t see Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class in Device Manager

9) Update Driver Software > Browse My computer for Driver Software > Let Me Pick from a List of Drivers

10) Choose Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class > XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows

Ignore the warning.

Should work now.

THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT! Thanks, not sure how you figured it out but you hit the nail on the head!
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:08 PM
  • You are da man!!!! Worked awesome!!!!
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Thank you, thank, you, thank you, thank you! This same process worked for the wired controller I have that wasn't working; just picked the driver for the wired controller instead of for the receiver. Can't say how glad I am to have found this. Just wish I'd stumbled across your post three hours ago. 

Once again, thank you!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Thank you!  I have yet to try it in-game.  I wonder if this older model 360 controller is the problem as it was probably purchased back in 2005 shortly after the Xbox360 launched and I needed a second controller.  

Its a little frustrating in that a USB device made by Microsoft should be recognized and at least somewhat usable in Windows.  I recall in Windows XP (and maybe earlier versions on win7?) that it was plug-n-play and had a native calibration tool which may not have even needed a patch or download.  Regardless, it used to work great and now this hassle.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:03 PM
  • This still didn't work for me.

I couldn't find any 'Microsoft common controller for windows class' in the list of available drivers, either.
    Sunday, December 01, 2013 12:57 AM

Ignore the warning.

Should work now.

THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Tried exactly as you said and it worked!
    Saturday, December 07, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Please help :(  It's still not working!   Your suggestions helped almost everything.  I don't think there was the Microsoft Common Controller for Windows class/Xbox 360 Wireless Controller via Play and Charge Kit in Device Manager before I tried your tips of reinstalling under that old service pack compatibility mode.

Now that I see that, I thought it'd be fixed... but no!  If I run joy.cpl (the Game Controllers window) it still doesn't see my Xbox controller.  It still isn't recognized by the actual 360 controller software for my PC.  

I did try updating the drivers again in the device manager, and I am plugged into a Blue USB port.  What else?  Is it something to do with my battery pack or something?  Help!!

I don't know if this will notify me of a response, so please feel free to email me at smorin1487 @   gmail

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:01 AM

Ignore the warning.

Should work now.

Please help :(  It's still not working!   Your suggestions helped almost everything.  I don't think there was the Microsoft Common Controller for Windows class/Xbox 360 Wireless Controller via Play and Charge Kit in Device Manager before I tried your tips of reinstalling under that old service pack compatibility mode.

Now that I see that, I thought it'd be fixed... but no!  If I run joy.cpl (the Game Controllers window) it still doesn't see my Xbox controller.  It still isn't recognized by the actual 360 controller software for my PC.  

I did try updating the drivers again in the device manager, and I am plugged into a Blue USB port.  What else?  Is it something to do with my battery pack or something?  Help!!

I don't know if this will notify me of a response, so please feel free to email me at smorin1487 @   gmail

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Just used this fact on 2-12-2014 it did work. forgot all other links
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:22 AM
  • thank you so much been trying for a couple days doing everything i could think of but this does work thank you 

Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:43 PM
  • Okay, I've done the same thing, I however am using a Wired controller, I plug it into the USB port, tried a few actually, it can't find the drivers, typed in joy.cpl, it can't find the controller, it is not wireless so it shouldn't need a receiver at all... Downloaded Xbox 360 Accessories Software 1.2 64-bit for Windows 7 and still nothing, and I am running a 64bit system for windows 7, there's nothing it seems I can do... to get this dang device to work properly...
    Monday, March 03, 2014 10:04 PM