none
Keyboard suddenly & randomly stops working

Question

• Specs: DELL XPS M1530, 4 GB RAM, Running WInodws 7 Home.

At random times my keyboard will stop working on my laptop. I went into device manager and there are no yellow marks. Only thing that gets it back is either a reboot, or to press the power button for a second and wait for it to sleep, and then press it again to reawaken it. 

I have no viruses, walmare, or any other crapware.

I have no windows 7 dvd yet- even though they said it was shipped.

Any ideas? Should I uninstall a keyboard driver from the device manager?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:01 PM

Answers

• I haven't tried an external keyboard, but I uninstalled the driver, rebooted, windows automatically installed it and rebooted again. So far so good, but I guess I really won't know for a few more days. So far so good though.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suspects some new updates are causing the issue. It may be solved by restoring the system to an earlier restore point.

regards from www.windowsadmin.info
    ManuPhilip
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a try.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure that you have installed the latest keyboard driver and the motherboard is updated as well. This kind of issue may be related to program conflicts, please go to Event Viewer to see if any error logs can be found.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Unfortunately it has returned. I did a system restore to the earliest date, Nov. 9th. I have the latest Dell Bios update, and in device manager it says I have latest drivers for keyboard. I'm not sure what to look for in event viewer but see nothing out of the ordinary. 

Anything else I can try?

Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Try another keyboard instead of the one you are using and see if the problem still happens.
    Hey there! Please reply back promptly so we can answer your problem faster!

JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Visit websites
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:37 PM
  • It's a laptop.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

Have you noticed when the keyboard crashed frequently? In addition, I recommend you to perform a Clean Boot to test if the crash occurs.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Hi Dale,

I'm not sure that would help in this case because it is so random. It's been fine for the past 5 days or so. Is there anything else I can try?

Regards
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Do external desktop keyboards do the same thing when plugged in the laptop? Have you tried reinstalling the keyboard driver?
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Space | ----- | Email me | 'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:39 AM edit signature :)
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:50 PM
  • I haven't tried an external keyboard, but I uninstalled the driver, rebooted, windows automatically installed it and rebooted again. So far so good, but I guess I really won't know for a few more days. So far so good though.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:29 PM
  • So far, I'm glad to see that the issue hasn't occurred any more after uninstalling the driver. Currently I would like to mark it as the answer, if the issue reproduces, please feel free to open the thread and ask more in your post.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:45 AM
  • My computer has the same symptoms as Mortys, conducted the clean boot and also uninstalled the keyboard with a restart. So far so good.

Dell Latitude E5520 WIN 7 64bit

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:40 PM