none
Windows 8.1, High CPU usage

    Question

  • Hi,

    SInce I've upgraded to Windows 8.1, on my Asus G74sx (and a Dell M4600 has the same issue), we have really high CPU usage.

    After doing some test, I have found that there is a process called: System Host: local system. After trying to kill some of them, there is one called: Application information. When I kill it, everything goes back to normal, but after, I can't access the task manager.

    Anyone alread yseen this problem? I get about 20-30% CPU usage, while the M4600 has over 70% :/

    Thanks for any help

    Monday, November 04, 2013 1:41 PM

Answers

All replies

  • We need a xperf trace to capture the cpu usage.

    To see a high CPU usgae you need to capture a xperf trace. Please install the WPT (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt.aspx , open a cmd prompt with admin rights and run this command for 60s:

    xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d cpuusage.etl

    press a key to stop logging. Zip and upload the file to your skydrive and post a link here (post a link without http or replace http with hxxp if you still can't insert a full link)


    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

    Monday, November 04, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Hi!

    Thanks for your reply.

    here's the link: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EA9DDC9DFA5AFAC4!338&authkey=!AFyHV6mFqXA1FNw

    Monday, November 04, 2013 8:30 PM
  • you have the well known Windows backup issue. the sdclt.exe is started and stopped every second.

    You have to disable the backup task in the task scheduler:


    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"


    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Thanks, it seems to work like a charm! :)

    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:50 PM
  • I have a suggestion and it worked for me!!

    Well I updated from windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro, and that was from Windows store.

    I had high cpu usage, you should not kill any thing in your task manager. Now this is the solution, download an original Windows 8.1 ISO from internet and then install it. I had problems with updating from Store, try this method everyone.

    Hope this helps somebody!!


    Sunday, December 08, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Hi. It worked initially. But I have been keeping it disabled for a while now and after some time problem reappeared. I have been trying to shut down all running scheduled tasks. Some taks temporarily solve the problem again, some don't.

    The bottom line is that I have been disabling a lot of scheduled tasks for now and the problem still appears. I am using Windows 8.1 that has been upgraded on top of Windows 8.0 via Windows Store.

    Hardware is Lenovo Carbon X1.


    Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:51 AM