none
Disable Windows Media Player

Question

• Hello,

I was trying to download a movie from the internet. When I clicked on "download", Windows Media Player popped up and started to play the movie instead of downloading it. How can I completely disable the WMP temporarily, when I want to download a movie?

I have read all the related topics but failed to find the answer.

Thank you.

melita

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are the steps to reinstall Windows Media Player.

1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".

2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".

3. Browse to the Media Features and check the mark in front of Windows Media Player.

4. Restart the computer

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:56 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:57 AM
  • I'm not sure but when saving a movie download,

If you right click the download link and click on Save Target as, it is downloaded to your hard drive,

If wmp is playing the movie it means your using the wrong option, check with the site for download instructions.

• Edited by ThrashZone Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:02 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to disable Windows Media Player, you can turn off it using "Turn Windows features On or Off". For detail steps:

3. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.

4. Restart the computer

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:00 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:18 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure but when saving a movie download,

If you right click the download link and click on Save Target as, it is downloaded to your hard drive,

If wmp is playing the movie it means your using the wrong option, check with the site for download instructions.

• Edited by ThrashZone Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:02 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Thank you for the above information. Generally speaking, how can I disable the WMP temporarily, whenever I want to, for any other purpose?

Regards.

melita

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:00 PM
  • I don't know of a quick way to disable wmplayer,

Turning windows features on or off requires a Boot to complete which can take at least a couple of minutes loosing what ever page you were on.

If your having problems finding the download instructions on the site you can post a direct link to it here, and I can look into the issue for you ?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to disable Windows Media Player, you can turn off it using "Turn Windows features On or Off". For detail steps:

3. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.

4. Restart the computer

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:00 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Thank you for this thoughtful offer. Here is the link:  http://archive.org/details/DeathRidesAHorse

What I wanted to download is the 512Kb MPEG4 download, and instead of downloading, the WMPlayer pops up and start playing the movie. The Ogg Video downloaded well but it does not play on my little Digital Media Player, which I use, to watch the movie on TV. The Cinepack also plays in WMPlayer instead of downloading. In any case, this file is too large for my limited bandwidth.

Best regards.

melita

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried right click the file and select save target as to check the result?

In addition, I suggest you can try the steps to reinstall Windows Media player to reset Windows Media Player 12 to default Settings.

Regards

Vincent Wang

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hello,

The 'right click' and 'save target' method works fine. Also, I am able to do 'unchecking windows media player' in 'windows fearures'. I am yet unable to find the steps to reinstall WMPlayer, to reset to default settings. Can you help?

Regards.

melita

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

Here are the steps to reinstall Windows Media Player.

3. Browse to the Media Features and check the mark in front of Windows Media Player.

4. Restart the computer

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:56 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Thank you very much for all the help.

Best regards.

melita

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:59 PM