none
Windows 7 System Reserved Partition (100mb) Active, not C:\ drive

Question

• Hello,

I recently did a full install of windows 7 and I can't reboot windows.

It boots from no-power fine, but reboot just hangs (seems like it is powered down but fan stays on).

If i look in disk manager I have:

- System Reserved partition, 100mb (System, Active, Primary)
    - c:\ 93 gb (Boot, Page File, Crash dump, Primary)

I have been reading various posts out there and it seems like i need to do a couple of things here:

1) make my c: drive the Active drive and
    2) boot using a recovery disk (or similar) and copy my boot files from System Restore to C:

I know my way around a little but am unsure here as to what i need to do exactly. I would rather not lose any data on this box (it's a lenovo thinkpad z61m BTW), and also do this the quickest way possible (i don't want to backup data, reinstall windows if i can help it).

I'd appreciate some help if any one is kind enough to do a little hand holding :)

If i just make C: active will it bugger everything up? will that help?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:57 PM

Answers

• Whatever you read is blatantly wrong (Or just not for Windows 7)
    Windows 7 uses the System Reserved partition so that it can store recovery options and other information away from the C partition so that malicious parties, or un-knowledgeable users won't destroy the boot partition
    The system reserved partition MUST be kept as Active to make Windows 7 boot properly, otherwise it won't boot at all, and copying the files from that partition to C: won't help any either.
    Booting into the revocery disk will just reset the system reserved partition as active, and re-copy the files needed, so you'll be running in circles with that one as well.
    The problem appears to be a problem with your systmboard's bios not being able to completely re-power on, and wouldn't be a problem directly related to windows.
    What hardware\system model are you running Windows 7 on?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:58 PM

All replies

• Whatever you read is blatantly wrong (Or just not for Windows 7)
    Windows 7 uses the System Reserved partition so that it can store recovery options and other information away from the C partition so that malicious parties, or un-knowledgeable users won't destroy the boot partition
    The system reserved partition MUST be kept as Active to make Windows 7 boot properly, otherwise it won't boot at all, and copying the files from that partition to C: won't help any either.
    Booting into the revocery disk will just reset the system reserved partition as active, and re-copy the files needed, so you'll be running in circles with that one as well.
    The problem appears to be a problem with your systmboard's bios not being able to completely re-power on, and wouldn't be a problem directly related to windows.
    What hardware\system model are you running Windows 7 on?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:58 PM
  • wackerPC is right. In Windows 7, System Reserved partition is set as active. It seems that the computer isn't powered on loading the data from Windows partition. Do you happen to plug multiple hard disks? If it is the case, try to unplug other hard disks and only connect the system disk. Othewise, I kindly recommend you to send your computer to tech company for support.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, March 01, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Hi wackerPC,

Thank you for the reply, apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but the No Alerts came through to me.

I am running Windows 7 on a Lenovo ThinkPad z61m. Do you nee any more information than that?

Hi Dale, thanks for you reply also.

I do have an external HDD that I plug in using a drive caddy in the disk drive. I will take this HDD out and put the dvd drive back in and try and do a reboot when I get a break from work today and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers
    Matt
    Monday, March 01, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Hi Dale, see my reply to you above.

Thanks
    Monday, March 01, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Dale,

I tried taking out my second HDD and plugging the DVD drive aback in and rebooting; but the same problem occurs.

Matt
    • Proposed as answer by Thaya1088 Friday, March 02, 2012 6:35 AM
    Monday, March 01, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Have you changed settings in BIOS? Make sure that you have configured your computer to support SATA drive in BIOS. Try to change the disk controller and see how it works.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:38 AM
  • sorry!! but thats not right my windows 7 100mb system partition isnt marked as active, its only the partition with boot files that needs to be active, ive ran windows 7 like this since oct 09 and i use 2 internal drives and 1 external caddy drive & had no issues,now i believe there is some intel based boards that require this partition to be made active so system will boot but its by no means a MUST for all windows 7 users, even friends with windows 7 have informed me they have checked disk manager and the 100mb system partition isnt marked active,yet other friends say its the only active partition on C:[the intel based mobos i refered to, only 1 partition can be active on a hdd. i by no means trying to outsmart u here as im too old to play that game just added this in case any other windows 7 users wondering why theirs is/isnt marked as active. scots love 2 ya. 7UP!
    • Edited by nailzuk Saturday, May 01, 2010 12:09 AM error
    • Proposed as answer by nailzuk Saturday, May 01, 2010 12:17 AM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Hate to burst your bubble there buddy, but all boards need it marked as active, because it's what has the boot files.

I know this for a fact, because both my nVidia board and my AMD board require it to boot.

The idea is actually genius by Microsoft, because it keeps the average user from ever screwing up their boot files, and keeps viruses from doing the same under normal circumstances.

The only way I see it not being active is from an upgrade from Vista, as the boot files were on the main partition, and I could see how booting from either partition would still allow it to boot because of the BCD being on both partitions and pointing to the same place.

Just a heads up.

-pizzaboy192

• Proposed as answer by wackerPC Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:51 PM
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:51 PM
  • no m8 my bubble is fully functional and my 100mb reserved partition isnt marked as active[only partition with mbr is], with a clean win 7 ultimate install go figure?  shall we agree to disagree "buddy "? :)....
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 1:12 AM
  • I'd love to know the answer to this.  My system will not boot up.  It gets to the "starting windows" screen, then everything goes black.  I put the restore CD in it showed I had 3 drives (C being the system reserved, D being the local drive, and X being the boot drive)  I thought something had happened and created all these extra drives (C should be my local and only drive).  Does anyone have any clue where I go from here to restore whatever files I need to get this thing to boot?

Thanks  

Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:05 PM
  • I just built a system and changed my c: drive to active, then ended up having the same problem that you are having.  Nothing would come up.  Fortunately, my motherboard has a configuration mode which allowed me to start up into my bios settings and make sure I was booting from the Windows installation disc.  A jumper on the board allowed me to do this.  It also has a recovery mode, which I didnt' know at the time.

I booted from the Windows dvd and went into the recovery section and windows automatically resolved the problem.  So now I know that the c: drive does not need to be active for Windows 7 and it can cause major problems if you do this.  I'm just glad the software is smarter than I am.

Good Luck,

Daryl

Saturday, September 03, 2011 1:10 PM
  • I have committed the same error -- marking the c drive active-- and cannot boot even from the windows 7 DVD.  How were you able to use your motherboot to fix this?  I am running an ASUS p8z68v-le board.  I tried booting from motherboard disk, and even my old XP disk.  I can get to BIOS  when booting and can set the boot drive to the DVD but it acts and if it can't read anything. Can't get anywhere.

Rupert

REXBOND

Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:37 PM