none
Sound in Windows 7 stopped working

Question

• HP Laptop EliteBook 2540p Windows 7 64 bit.

Windows 7 installed Sept 2011 and was fine for several months, in fact a big improvement.

Changed jobs and all fine but moving from home with docking station to office and back with no docking station sound stopped working after about 3 weeks. I have tried advice from previous threads (uninstall drivers etc.) and followed advice to no avail. I also tried the latest HP diagnostics which did not find any issues. 

It lists two High Definition Audio Devices (Microsoft) both working normally and in the Sound tab the High Definition Audio Device speakers are set to default with green check mark. All volume controls are set fine with no muting visible and all settings are normal.

Most of the threads I am looking at are from 2009 or 2010 so would like to have an updated view of solutions please.

Thank you for your help.

Diolch

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:17 PM

Answers

• Try uninstalling the driver from the deivce manager and let it reinstall on reboot.

Also I used to have an issue with Windows 7 beta where my realtek onboard audio used to stop in the middle of playing back media.

From the Start Menu in either the search box or the Run box type:

services.msc

from the services menu look for the "Windows Audio" service. is it started? if not try starting, if so try restarting.

Also look for a newer audio driver from HP.

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:00 AM

All replies

• not likely to be hardware as portables are generally designed to be in the field

have you tried an alternate speaker or headphones to see if there is any sound

check the volume control too to be sure its not muted

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Try uninstalling the driver from the deivce manager and let it reinstall on reboot.

Also I used to have an issue with Windows 7 beta where my realtek onboard audio used to stop in the middle of playing back media.

From the Start Menu in either the search box or the Run box type:

services.msc

from the services menu look for the "Windows Audio" service. is it started? if not try starting, if so try restarting.

Also look for a newer audio driver from HP.

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Sorry for the late response. I have been using another laptop in desparation. Tried uninstalling drivers and rebooted - no luck.

All services seem to be running.

No sound on headphones or speakers.

Looked for newer driver from HP but doesn't seem to be anything updated for my model.

May have to go back to an old laptop or buy a Mac (heresy).

Diolch

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:49 PM