RTM 8.1 Pro wrecks Windows Media Center

Question

• I upgraded a machine from TechNet Win 8 RTM (with TechNet pro key) to Windows 8.1 RTM--it activated and all was well, but Windows media center was removed during the update since you have to run from the ISO. So, I put in my (purchased) Windows Media Center key and it added back, but now Windows 8.1 is not activated. Now no key seems to be able to activate, purchased keys (had 4 from the upgrade offers for all my machines, plus a full key), no TechNet (I have two subscriptions, standard and professiona), and it says my media center key was blocked, even though this is my key, only ever been installed on this same machine. It was a key I got during the 'free' offer right after release so not sure if that has a time bomb that would cause this.

But there seems to be no way to purchase another WMC key, if that is indeed the problem. I can't remove WMC since it seems to fuse at the molecular level to Windows, and nothing will activate. It shows the last few digits of my WMC key, not the basic product key so it looks messed up there.

There's no option to call in. Am I just screwed on this now? God I hate activation. I legally own a ton of licenses and two TechNet subscriptions...anyone have any clue how to maybe fix this without a total destruction of the current install?

Curt Kessler - FLC

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:50 AM

All replies

• Same here...
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:59 PM
  • I upgraded a machine from TechNet Win 8 RTM (with TechNet pro key) to Windows 8.1 RTM--it activated and all was well, but Windows media center was removed during the update since you have to run from the ISO. So, I put in my (purchased) Windows Media Center key and it added back, but now Windows 8.1 is not activated. Now no key seems to be able to activate, purchased keys (had 4 from the upgrade offers for all my machines, plus a full key), no TechNet (I have two subscriptions, standard and professiona), and it says my media center key was blocked, even though this is my key, only ever been installed on this same machine. It was a key I got during the 'free' offer right after release so not sure if that has a time bomb that would cause this.

But there seems to be no way to purchase another WMC key, if that is indeed the problem. I can't remove WMC since it seems to fuse at the molecular level to Windows, and nothing will activate. It shows the last few digits of my WMC key, not the basic product key so it looks messed up there.

There's no option to call in. Am I just screwed on this now? God I hate activation. I legally own a ton of licenses and two TechNet subscriptions...anyone have any clue how to maybe fix this without a total destruction of the current install?

Curt Kessler - FLC

You should have your WMC and windows 8  Key by email. So you should be able to see the key. You must remember this is RtM 1 for you to make this work with activation you'll need to wait for the rtm2 or public release of windows 8.1. I am getting the feeling since the TechNet release people are thinking is ok to download the leak copy. I can reassure you if anyone here did, they are breaking the TOS of Microsoft and if you tried to activate with your key, your valid keys will be blocked. That is the risk people take.

• Edited by colakid Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:20 PM
  • I have my WMC and Windows 8 key and the original emails from my purchase. I also have 4 other purchased (yes, LEGALLY--I'm a little offended you're implying they're not). I also own two subscriptions (both active, on Standard, one Professional) to TechNet. I have plenty of REAL, PURCHASED keys, and access to TechNet LEGALLY--not leaked or ill gotten. Real. Active. Purchased. Licensed. I wasn't taking a risk with leaked or weird builds. These are mine, proper and official. I only use properly licensed software.

The reason why I would post to the TechNet forums, as a TechNet member, with two active TechNet subscriptions is because I ran into a problem that shouldn't be happening. Not a 'hands up in the air it must be a leaked key' response. Plus there is no RTM1 RTM2 etc. It's RTM and then GA (general availability). Very likely with day one updates. The RTM code will upgrade through the Windows Update process, not require a reinstall. This is the build being preloaded onto PC's by manufacturers. We've already found one major line of business application that fails under RTM since they (thankfully) released RTM early. This may give us a chance to fix it. Again, this isn't a preview build or weird leak, it's the RTM build.

The problem is installing with the right keys produced an abhorrent result, it may be the order of installation or because I used the ISO rather than upgrade. It's possible my WMC key (as part of the initial Win8 promotion) was time bombed and overwrote my key. It's possible I did something wrong in the process or that WMC is causing a weird interaction. I don't know, that's why I posted. I'm trying to find errors we're going to hit when 8.1 goes GA--and since our company is already about 50% Windows 8, the 8.1 will impact us in a variety of ways.

Curt Kessler - FLC

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:40 PM
  • My exact same situation. TechNet subscriber. Added my free media center key from win 8 and now win 8.1 cannot be activated. This is not good. Hopefully someone is going to post a solution and save me the trouble of phone support.

GaryG

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Same here. Techent subscriber. Activation worked fine, added the windows media center key and now windows shows it isn't activated. The product key windows shows is the media center key as well.
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:13 AM
  • False statement I have installed the RTM on 7 machines today, all owned windows 8 setup from a none pirated windows 7 cd key. Remember if anyone here has used a pirated key, download, in windows 8 series you may have voided your TOS with Microsoft and that key will be voided. It may take MS a few months to verify that key but make no mistake your key will be voided. You will always be able to buy a new key.

• Proposed as answer by colakid Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:28 AM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:27 AM
  • False statement I have installed the RTM on 7 machines today, all owned windows 8 setup from a none pirated windows 7 cd key. Remember if anyone here has used a pirated key, download, in windows 8 series you may have voided your TOS with Microsoft and that key will be voided. It may take MS a few months to verify that key but make no mistake your key will be voided. You will always be able to buy a new key.

Would you mind taking a breath, acting like an adult, and not telling people they are lying or using pirated software? Just because you installed something does not mean that everyone else is lying or using illegal software and/or keys. You are also seriously misinformed if you think there is such a thing as RTM 1 and RTM 2, or at the very least do not understand what the initials RTM mean.
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:00 AM
  • It's clear you either don't understand the problem some of us are having, or you're just trolling. Again, there are no 'pirated keys' involved, no leaked builds.

It's nice yours worked (although installing on 7 PC's makes me wonder if these are truly test/lab or training machines which is what they should be if you're using your TechNet subscription to install). We have brokers that use media center to feed in to their workstations and line of business software we test on to make sure 'the latest and greatest' software works in our environment. Again, so happy it works for you, but it doesn't for ALL of us, which is the questions we're focused on here.

Curt Kessler - FLC

Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Thanks for re-explaining Curt.

Today I have been passed around by MS departments all which said the problem was not their department.

1. MS Activation 1-888-571-2048

2. MS customer support 1-800-936-5700

3. MS TechNet Support 1-800-344-2121

4. MS Professional Support 1-800-936-4900

5. MS Partner Support 1-888-455-7422

I am a MS Partner and TechNet subscriber. So much for getting any help from these numbers. Really looking forward to any workable solution.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:31 PM
  • I forgot to mention that I couldn't even sign in to partner.microsoft.com because I was NOT using an approved browser! It doesn't recognize Explorer 11.
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:34 PM
  • I was hoping that I would be able to call for activation once I explained the situation, but it sounds like they're just avoiding the issue. I tried the automated call in but it doesn't work and doesn't give you the option of a person--so I was going to call and manually do it with (hopefully) a real person, but it sounds like they're not being helpful. I know how to make the phone activation process kick off, but going through the zillion numbers on the phone will take time so was going to do it this weekend.

What I'd like I guess now, is to know what are the correct steps for getting it to work--if I have to wipe and reinstall I'd rather just do right. So far we're finding a number of problems in Win 8.1 RTM that were not problems in Win 8...which is making me nervous.

Curt Kessler - FLC

Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:42 PM
  • use the key that is assigned to your subscription for the windows 8.1 RTM, after that is done, go to activate, use your windows 8 key, then after that use the add features use your media key that was mailed. 

Run setup in windows choose your kind of install, then do the process above.

en_windows_8_1_symbols_x64_2712576.msi
    • Edited by colakid Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:41 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hmm....I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

S.Sengupta Media Center MVP

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:57 PM
  • use the key that is assigned to your subscription for the windows 8.1 RTM, after that is done, go to activate, use your windows 8 key, then after that use the add features use your media key that was mailed. 

This didn't work for me.

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:39 PM
  • The very first entry from Curt explains the problem perfectly and in full detail.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Just my 2 cent worth (I don't have media center and when I try to buy it it says it is not available in my area).

From the sounds as it you all upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1.

From the sounds of people who got it working, theirs were fresh installs of 8.1 not upgraded?

• Edited by shawnfuller Friday, September 13, 2013 8:59 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 8:47 PM

Works good for mez. I have been setting up lots of computers for CCP, the largest computer chain in Canada I am one of CCP support members. If fact customers have been hearing how well I am setting up windows and software, My clients list is huge. I can tell you from my experience that windows media center and windows 8.1 RTM works fine.

Would you explain in detail what the issue is

Hmmm. I seem to recall from another thread that you admitted to driving a tractor for a living. A few months ago you stated in the forums that you were about to collect '"750 G's" from MS for your development work. Now you're setting up numerous computers for a large chain. Busy guy.

BTW, I also see that your alter ego rsebck is once again voting your posts helpful.

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:02 PM
  • That's quite possible, the test PC with the video feed (we only have one of those) was an upgrade from Windows 8 Retail to Win 8.1 RTM (using the TechNet ISO). Maybe there is key compatibility problem between retail and TechNet. Did not try a fresh install, actually we were specifically testing the upgrade process of 'keep everything' to make sure it actually does so not sure if the other method would have worked. We did a fresh install on a different PC, but I only had one WMC key for use, and it won't let us buy one on 8.1 yet, so don't know. Possibly the explanation though...I wonder if it can even be fixed?

Curt Kessler - FLC

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:24 PM

Works good for mez. I have been setting up lots of computers for CCP, the largest computer chain in Canada I am one of CCP support members. If fact customers have been hearing how well I am setting up windows and software, My clients list is huge. I can tell you from my experience that windows media center and windows 8.1 RTM works fine.

I did a clean installation-formatted my C Drive and installed Windows 8.1 RTM 9600 Build,32 Bit version. I used TechNet Retail Serial Key and there was no issue with installation or activation. Everything was fine.But all complications started after adding Windows Media Center feature using the WMC Product key which Microsoft provided last year.It installed fine and then asked for activation.I tried to activate online but it didn't accept the key.I then tried two TechNet retail keys out of three supplied-all failed.I then contacted Microsoft over phone-the activation team asked me it was technical team to look after the issue-so you need to get in touch with them.I did-the technical team provided me a few URLs of their global support which all found to be useless to me.I uninstalled Media Center but that didn't help me either.Finally I formatted my drive,reinstalled Win 8.1 RTM but this time without adding WMC.Now I am living without WMC.

• Edited by S.SenguptaMVP Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:57 AM Pressed the Enter Key by mistake.
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:48 AM

I did a clean installation-formatted my C Drive and installed Windows 8.1 RTM 9600 Build,32 Bit version. I used TechNet Retail Serial Key and there was no issue with installation or activation. Everything was fine.But all complications started after adding Windows Media Center feature using the WMC Product key which Microsoft provided last year.It installed fine and then asked for activation.I tried to activate online but it didn't accept the key.I then tried two TechNet retail keys out of three supplied-all failed.I then contacted Microsoft over phone-the activation team asked me it was technical team to look after the issue-so you need to get in touch with them.I did-the technical team provided me a few URLs of their global support which all found to be useless to me.I uninstalled Media Center but that didn't help me either.Finally I formatted my drive,reinstalled Win 8.1 RTM but this time without adding WMC.Now I am living without WMC.

You should not have to live without it, I had to phone in the keys for both activations. using support choosing the phone NO in my area. It was the only way I could activate it
    • Proposed as answer by colakid Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:27 AM
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Well movies in dvd format work well win 8.1.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:26 AM
  • Hi Curt,

I have exactly the same problem ... were you able to find a workable solution that doesn't require a re install.

In my case I installed Windows 8.1 Pro RTM with a valid key, activated it, then added the Media Center key which prior to the install was correct. After the entire install and reboot, it now shows that key is invalid and I can't go back.

Marek.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:50 AM
  • please mail me the key which u used i would be helpful :(

@abhi159ravi0@gmail.com
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Add me to the list. I tried going thru the MS support forums and got directed here. I've already phoned in to MSDN support, which passed me to product activation support, who passed me to Media Center something or other, who told me that there's no support for 8.1 via phone because it's not released.

My problematic path:

1. Windows 8 Pro w/ MC fully installed, activated, and working fine
    2. Upgrade with Win 8.1 RTM via MSDN - lost Media Center
    3. Computer reported unactivated after the upgrade, and wouldn't activate online. I use phone activation to activate windows 8.1 pro (without media center)
    4. Add Features to Windows 8.1 - punched in my *purchased* Media Center key, reports "Your key doesn't work."

Have yet to see any solutions posted from anybody from Microsoft yet. I assume we're all DOA until GA of Windows 8.1 at which point we'll have to go thru all the same channels as the average Joe, whatever that ends up being.

http://about.me/bc3tech

Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:12 PM
  • As per another post, after installing W8.1 (TechnetISO) as a full upgrade including apps, and using TechNet key, I then entered the Media Center key from W8 and Media Center installed correctly. All activated correctly.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 6:58 AM
  • I have the same problem in one machine. In another one everything works well.

Both machine had a valid Windows 8 key. The difference between the computers is that the one that works had WMC installed on Windows 8 prior to the upgrade to 8.1.

I am trying now to upgrade a third machine, this time installing WMC on Windows 8 before the upgrade. 

Alon.

אלון פליס http://codevalue.net

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:49 AM
  • I've also done a clean build with my MSDN Win 8.1 Pro keys, all working fine & activated.

I installed the Media Centre feature (which required a reboot to complete after telling me it failed) and promptly de-activated my machine and won't allow any valid licensing to be input!

So a very common fault c/o a decision to remove MC.

A plus note, MyMovies (www.mymovies.dk) installs and works fine on 8.1 with MC.  Just need to get it re-activated to re-enable a number of base Windows features.  

Not a positive impression to build when evaluating products for potential rollout to 180,000 users!

Justin B

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:21 PM
  • And the
    saga continues...<o:p></o:p>

I upgraded
    another Windows 7 Ultimate machine to Windows 8 Pro. I added the WMC feature
    using one of the free keys that I have got to my email and I got the same
    problem in Windows 8 (not 8.1). I think that the problem is that I did not use
    this key before, hence did not activate it. However, why did it let me use
    it in the first place? I am stuck now. It does not even let me buy a new key
    (it keep telling me that I can't buy a key in my region, although in another
    Win 8 computer it allows me to buy a key). I tried to activate over the phone
    and it tells me that my key is illegal. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1
    with a valid pro key from the MSDN. I will see if I will be able to buy a WMC
    key.<o:p></o:p>

Alon.

Monday, September 16, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Thanks for re-explaining Curt.

Today I have been passed around by MS departments all which said the problem was not their department.

1. MS Activation 1-888-571-2048

2. MS customer support 1-800-936-5700

3. MS TechNet Support 1-800-344-2121

4. MS Professional Support 1-800-936-4900

5. MS Partner Support 1-888-455-7422

I am a MS Partner and TechNet subscriber. So much for getting any help from these numbers. Really looking forward to any workable solution.

same thing happened to me last week. MSDN support -> Product Activation -> Customer Support -> Technical support

final answer "there's no phone support for 8.1 since it's not released. Go to the forums"

even though I explained to every single rep that I'm using the RTM version from MSDN as i'm an MSDN subscriber

Monday, September 16, 2013 3:08 PM
  • So it appears that when you put in the WMC key, that somehow replaces the TechNet/MSDN key which then renders Windows 8.1 'unactivated' since the WMC keys are retail and they're only activating TechNet keys right now. There must be some combination where it works, as many people seem to have gotten it to function, but from reading all of this I can't find the pattern. Some people upgrade over 8 and it works, some fresh install 8 and it works, and some do the exact same things and it fails. Hmmmph.

Curt Kessler - FLC

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:11 PM
  • So it appears that when you put in the WMC key, that somehow replaces the TechNet/MSDN key which then renders Windows 8.1 'unactivated' since the WMC keys are retail and they're only activating TechNet keys right now. There must be some combination where it works, as many people seem to have gotten it to function, but from reading all of this I can't find the pattern. Some people upgrade over 8 and it works, some fresh install 8 and it works, and some do the exact same things and it fails. Hmmmph.

Curt Kessler - FLC

Not only that, but for some of us you can't even put in the WMC key after you've activated 8.1 Pro

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:45 PM
  • A warning would've been nice of them to do--I actually thought about this when first doing it remembering that WMC didn't function during big parts of the Win8 preview (I did that on my home machine and lost WMC for a month before launch). Since this is technically release software, I had hoped this would kind of be worked out.

I still don't understand why WMC has to be such a weird add on with keys that affect activation. Why not make this an add on (or better yet do it through the Store) that doesn't touch Windows' core functions. It's clear they want to kill off WMC, but it's such an incredibly useful piece of software, and we've never found anything that even comes close to doing what it does in such a nice way (believe me, we've looked, it's all crap). A Metro version WMC would be fantastic, sold in the Store, licensed that way...I can dream :-).

Curt Kessler - FLC

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Finally, a Success!

I have upgraded the Windows 8 installation that had this illegal key to Windows 8.1. Before installing WMC, I have changed the key to a Windows 8 MSDN key. Then I tried to add the WMC feature using one of the free WMC key. This did not work. I realized that I need a new key assigned to this machine, but I could not buy it since I got the sorry-message telling me that buying the product is not available in my region. I replaced the hard drive and clean installed a new Windows 8 pro. Using the add Windows feature wizard I have bought a new WMC key and activated it on the new system. Then I replaced back the hard drive to my old Windows 8.1 installation and activated Windows 8.1 pro With Media Center using the new key, And it Works!!!

I am not sure that I needed the activation step that I did on the new hard drive, but since it is the same hardware (same machine) I knew I can re-activate it.

Alon.

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:03 PM

Colakid, are you running a fake account to vote for your main account?

If so, could you stop please?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:32 AM

Colakid, are you running a fake account to vote for your main account?

If so, could you stop please?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

... so... is anybody from MSFT looking in to the issue here? or just reading the forums looking for people not obeying the rules? C'mon guys. You want us to test the software ahead of time, and we are - it's broke. Please provide a solution, or at least let us know you're working on one.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:47 AM
  • it is not broke because many other people do not have your problem. U will have to wait for the release. Activation works fine for a test copy
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:40 AM

Curt Kessler - FLC

So I'm having the same troubles here;  I had Windows 8.1 Preview, then upgraded to 8.1 RTM, keeping everything.  Things worked great until I tried to add WMC using my free WMC key provided for Windows 8 Pro.  Now as you say, it's replaced my old 8.1 key with this WMC key and it's not allowing me to enter any other valid keys (from my MSDN subscription - I'm not a Technet subscriber, only MSDN)

I guess we're lost & stuck till GA?
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Lets see a pic of your activation, Im basically asking to see proof of everyone, not that I don't believe you, its I have  no issue with activation on 4 computers with CCP.  CCP support staff has even more with no issues.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/
    • Edited by colakid Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Lets see a pic of your activation, Im basically asking to see proof of everyone, not that I don't believe you, its I have  no issue with activation on 4 computers with CCP.  CCP support staff has even more with no issues.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/

And furthermore:

and i'm located in the US

• Edited by Brandon H_ Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:19 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:16 AM
  • Admin CMD

slmgr.vbs -ipk (wmc key)

slui 4 (pick phone No in your area)

activate MC

I have spoken with david owner of CCP with this issue, so far, all machines they setup windows 8.1 and MC, had no issue of this sort, CCP has a store or 2 in almost every major city in Canada.

• Edited by colakid Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Admin CMD

slmgr.vbs -ipk (wmc key)

activate MC

I have spoken with david owner of CCP with this issue, so far, all machines they setup windows 8.1 and MC, had no issue of this sort, CCP has a store or 2 in almost every major city in Canada.

after that first command:

displaying error text as instructed shows me

• Edited by Brandon H_ Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:56 PM
  • You are wrong Brandon, the only key that needed activated was my windows 8 key then MC key after installing windows 8.1. My subscription key automatically activated
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:17 PM
  • All I did to get MC back after upgrading to 8.1 RTM was add my MC key in add features. I did not use my Win 8 key only the 8.1 MSDN key that I used during the upgrade. After a reboot MC was back.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:50 PM
  • I was thinking of doing that dobleroll, I figured that process may have caused a issue with my activation Of MC, since I used that MC key with a windows 8 key.
     I used my windows 8 key using the, add new key feature, then activated it, then use add feature using, MC key, then activated MC.

I glad to see it works for you

• Edited by colakid Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:12 PM
  • You are wrong Brandon, the only key that needed activated was my windows 8 key then MC key after installing windows 8.1. My subscription key automatically activated

what exactly am I wrong about?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:14 PM
  • For the record here's my experience and how I solved.

It appears not all keys are equal.

1. Installed 8.1 RTM and activated (Installed over Win 8 and kept settings)

2. Installed Media Center using an old free Key sent out by MS

3. On reboot 8.1 Key is now blocked and can't Acivate Windows

===

Not to be deterred I tried again

1. Installed 8.1 RTM and activated again

2. Installed Media Center -- This time using an Official Purchased MC key

3. On reboot 8.1 is still Activated and Media Center is installed!!

All OK

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpwareGroup.com | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:16 PM

===

All OK

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpwareGroup.com | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Pretty curious. Esp since my key is a fully purchased one and doesn't work... :s

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Admin CMD

slmgr.vbs -ipk (wmc key)

activate MC

Windows Volume License is for upgrades only. Before you try to upgrade, you must first purchase an underlying, qualifying, and genuine Windows license.  For more information, visit the following Microsoft website: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/knowthefacts/legalizationsolutions.aspx
          (http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/knowthefacts/legalizationsolutions.aspx)    
    The information on this website includes an easy way to correct improper licensing by using a Get Genuine Agreement.  Next, you must change the product key to a Multiple Activation Key (MAK).  To do this, contact the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center at the following Microsoft website:
    https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter/
          (https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter/)    

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Right. Definitely a problem here.

You could certainly reinstall 8.1 RTM with you MSDN/Technet key and that will get your PC activated again.

But as one poster suggested, you may need to wait until this is fixed or baked properly.
    I remember there were problems when Win 8 RTM shipped as well. Frustrated a lot of us who were MC users.

Frustrating that some purchased keys work and some don't.

I suppose if you wanted to you could try and purchase a brand new $10 key using a Windows 8 Pro machine and see if that newly purchased key works.  If you can afford to blow $10.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:39 PM

===

All OK

This is exactly what I did.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:59 PM
  • Hello,

can I see some diagnostic output from people with failures

From an Elevated cmd prompt

run

LicensingDiag.exe -report report.xml -log report.cab

Then make the report.cab available for download.

can you answer this question

When using the Free Media Center key was that key used previously to activate a machine?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Hi Darrell

The free media Key never worked with Win 8 RTM which is why I also had a purchased key. So I was surprised when it was accepted by Win 8.1 RTM and MC downloaded OK.

Very easy to reproduce. Just take the Key below (see email from MS) and use it on Win 8.1 RTM (I believe I had all latest updated installed at the time).

Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a reminder that you must activate your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key** by January 31, 2013: 

2VX8F-7RB73-DQJNW-9JYCX-TFYRQ

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
    2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
    4. Then tap or click I already have a product key.
    5. Enter the product key, and then click Next.
    6. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.
    Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Hi Darrell

The free media Key never worked with Win 8 RTM which is why I also had a purchased key. So I was surprised when it was accepted by Win 8.1 RTM and MC downloaded OK.

Very easy to reproduce. Just take the Key below (see email from MS) and use it on Win 8.1 RTM (I believe I had all latest updated installed at the time).

Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a reminder that you must activate your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key** by January 31, 2013: 

2VX8F-7RB73-DQJNW-9JYCX-TFYRQ

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
    2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
    4. Then tap or click I already have a product key.
    5. Enter the product key, and then click Next.
    6. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.
    Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

Got to love those freebes, thanks Microsoft for that gift.
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:06 AM
  • So that appears to be my problem;  I entered the key that was given to me for Win 8 Pro, and in reading the fine print, it does indeed say that it has to be activated by February 1, 2013.

So, it it possible that there is any way I can undo the current license key and revert back to my regular old license key, or am I going to have to reinstall RTM from scratch?
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:04 PM
  • I think that if you can buy a WMC key using a Windows 8 installation, you will be able to change the current key and activate Windows 8.1. This should keep your current installation.

Alon.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Hello,

can I see some diagnostic output from people with failures

From an Elevated cmd prompt

run

LicensingDiag.exe -report report.xml -log report.cab

Then make the report.cab available for download.

can you answer this question

When using the Free Media Center key was that key used previously to activate a machine?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

report.cab: http://sdrv.ms/19hfK4n

report.xml: http://sdrv.ms/19hfW3D

And to reply to the posts regarding purchasing another key, keep in mind that I am NOT using one of the free (apparently now expired) keys from MS. I actually did purchase mine from an MS Store and, honestly, don't feel like an acceptable answer is "buy another one" ;)

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Admin CMD

slmgr.vbs -ipk (wmc key)

activate MC

Windows Volume License is for upgrades only. Before you try to upgrade, you must first purchase an underlying, qualifying, and genuine Windows license.  For more information, visit the following Microsoft website: 
    The information on this website includes an easy way to correct improper licensing by using a Get Genuine Agreement.  Next, you must change the product key to a Multiple Activation Key (MAK).  To do this, contact the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center at the following Microsoft website:

i'm not sure how your post is relevant to my issue as

1) The windows 8 pro instance I upgraded from had WMC added to it w/o issue

2) I upgraded to windows 8.1 w/o using any sort of "volume license" key. I am an MSDN subscriber.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:47 PM
  • I installed Windows 8.1 Pro on 9/9 when it surfaced on MSDN to download

The MCE is useless to me in Canada prefers to violate the charter right of freedom of expression etc

The services are all blocked

Corsair Carbide 300R with window & Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI & AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz & G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB 

GTX 260 SLI 216 core (GT200 Tesla) & Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p

ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play

Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:45 PM
  • If you have any other valid WMC key(I mean beside your existing one) which was provided by MSFT and was supposed to be activated before 31st Jan,2013-just use that key.WMC will be activated.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I think that if you can buy a WMC key using a Windows 8 installation, you will be able to change the current key and activate Windows 8.1. This should keep your current installation.

Alon.

To whoever is interested, this worked for me.  I had to pay the extra $10, but it definitely beats the cost in downtime having to reinstall Windows from scratch :)

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Hello Brandon,

Thanks for the logs.  Looking at the logs this appears to be a Windows 8 Professional key, I am not sure it's a WMC Key. Could this be a Pro Pack only key?

Can you send me the key via Email?  Darrellgremovethis@Microsoft.com

take out the removethis  before sending

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Hello Brandon,

Thanks for the logs.  Looking at the logs this appears to be a Windows 8 Professional key, I am not sure it's a WMC Key. Could this be a Pro Pack only key?

Can you send me the key via Email?  Darrellgremovethis@Microsoft.com

take out the removethis  before sending

done

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:21 PM

Alon.

To whoever is interested, this worked for me.  I had to pay the extra $10, but it definitely beats the cost in downtime having to reinstall Windows from scratch :)

I also just tried this and it worked fine.  ie. installed win8pro on old hw with mdsn key and then bought WMC key from there but then used it on my windows8.1 install instead.  Activated and all appears to be working.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Admin CMD

slmgr.vbs -ipk (wmc key)

activate MC

The free WMC key issues was a volume license, an upgrade to windows 8. As we see the activation seems to be people not activating their issue before the closing date. I see other people buying a new key with 8.1. What I don't really get is, why was I able to activate 4 computers on my network using 4 WMC keys on each after updating to windows 8.1 using MSDN subscription key, when others has to buy a new key. The only thing I can think of is, I've been using windows 8, 1 year before the release so my keys all correspond to the first days OF verifying my original OS key on each computer. That is why I was assuming your original OS key was not verified correctly. (The product SKU cannot be found)

• Edited by colakid Friday, September 20, 2013 2:27 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Okay, I found what seems like an easy fix for mine. I went to another regular Windows 8 machine, purchased a new WMC key but aborted right before it installed on that machine. I put in the new WMC key into the non-activated Win 8.1 installation and it activated right away online. I think that the WMC key that was part of the original promo for Windows 7 Pro upgraders (it was free for a limited time) was the issue. Those keys could only be activated until 2/1/13 as part of the promo. So that seemed to solve the issue and it was just 10 bucks to fix a maddening problem so I just consider it part of the cost of testing products like a cable or something. I think its those promo keys that are the root of the problem.

Curt Kessler - FLC

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:52 PM
  • I think I have the same problem: I have a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 Pro with MSDN key, and afterwards installed Media Center with key back from January. Now Windows lost its activation, and neither a 8.0, 8.1 nor WMC key works.

Are there any news on this topic?

Kind regards

Thomas

Monday, September 23, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Thomas 

Just reinstall Win 8.1 using the Disk/ISO again and you will repair the damage.

You will either need to wait until retail release, or make a new purchase of a MC Pack on another Win 8 Pro PC or VM... and use that key on your Windows 8.1 machine.

Rob

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:48 AM
  • can someone clarify what my options are in my current situation. 

I had a 8 Pro with Media center.  I upgraded using 8.1 pro technet download.  Now I can activate but I cant get the media center features.  Just like the screenshots above, i dont have the option to add features to windows. 

I have purchased a media center license tonight on a win 8 computer and tried to enter that into the activation prompts but that states that it was not meant for this version of Windows. 

So I am confused by the success stories?  if i do a clean install of windows 8.1 using this exact same disk, will the add features to windows show up in system like it should?  or will i never see it because it is not on this CD i downloaded from the technet portal?  Sorry for being lost I just want to understand my options before i rebuild this dang media center all over again as a clean install of win 8.  

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:47 AM
  • Once you install Win 8.1, you will no longer have MC.

But in the CP > System dialog you should see the link to get MC kit. 
    You don't see this?

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Oh sounds like you can see it.

The Win 8 box that you purchased the MC Pack on... was it Win 8 or Win 8 Pro?

It should be Win 8 Pro -- Cause all you want is the $10 MC Pack key right? You already have Win 8.1 Pro and just need the MC Pack.

If it was Win 8 that you purchased on (and you spent $100 for the full Pro + MC Full upgrade) that key may not work. I don't know.

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Once you install Win 8.1, you will no longer have MC.

But in the CP > System dialog you should see the link to get MC kit. 
    You don't see this?

That is correct.  I do NOT see that get more features with a new edition of windows.  I know that i should be able to but it is not there.  It i search control panel I dont see options you do as well regarding adding features.  

I purchased a 10 dollar license and even bought another one last night.  No go.  It says that key cant activate this version of windows.  I am totally stuck.  

Where did you get your media from?  MSDN or Technet?  Clean install or upgrade?

Friday, September 27, 2013 10:39 AM
  • I installed Win 8.1 Pro RTM iso from MSDN Subscription 

Now that I've installed MC my System Information says:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro with "Media Center"
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600 

My about box and System dialog now look like this 

So after installing Windows 8.1 RTM what do you see?

(Darrell Gorter Microsoft .. are you watching this buddy?)

Thanks 

Rob

PS.  Only Windows 8 (non-Pro) and Windows 8 Enterprise do not have the Media Center option

Friday, September 27, 2013 12:45 PM
  • mine is from technet.  I wonder if the installation media is different between the two causing this issue. 

Everyone else, can you let us know if your media is msdn or technet and if it is working or not?

Friday, September 27, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Can you please send a screen shot of your System dialog and aboutbox

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:43 PM
  • here is my system properties and about screen. 

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Hello,

Open an elevated CMD prompt and run

cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /dlv

Report back the output

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hello Rob,

For this question

"If it was Win 8 that you purchased on (and you spent $100 for the full Pro + MC Full upgrade) that key may not work. I don't know."

That key does not work when you have Pro installed already, so if you have Windows 8.1 Pro then the Windows 8 Pro Pack with Media Center key will not be accepted

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Here you go.  

I had a full win 8 pro and was given the free upgrade (promotion when it launched).  I also purchased a 10 dollar license for media center by using a win 8 computer and trying to run the add features I am looking for.  Then took that key and entered it on this same computer.  It failed along the lines of the key not being for this version of windows.  

• Edited by bbjewrican Friday, September 27, 2013 5:09 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:08 PM
  • i'm thinking your issue might be that it looks like, from that output, as though you have a VOLUME LICENSE applied to your install; WMC won't activate on that to my knowledge

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:10 PM
  • i'm thinking your issue might be that it looks like, from that output, as though you have a VOLUME LICENSE applied to your install; WMC won't activate on that to my knowledge

and i am wondering if those from the msdn channel dont have that same label on theirs.  

@darrell, any way to remove that and more importantly will i have the same issue at launch with an upgrade?

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:13 PM

and i am wondering if those from the msdn channel dont have that same label on theirs.  

@darrell, any way to remove that and more importantly will i have the same issue at launch with an upgrade?

we don't. it's all dependent on the key you use:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Software licensing service version: 6.3.9600.16384

Name: Windows(R), Professional edition
    Description: Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:15 PM
  • Hello,

Brandon is right, you do not have the upgrade to Media Center options since the installation is using Volume License media.

That media is different and does not offer up the option for "Add Features"

MSDN \ TechNet has the retail media as well as the VL media that you used to install with.

• Proposed as answer by bbjewrican Friday, September 27, 2013 6:28 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:41 PM
  • Hello,

Brandon is right, you do not have the upgrade to Media Center options since the installation is using Volume License media.

That media is different and does not offer up the option for "Add Features"

MSDN \ TechNet has the retail media as well as the VL media that you used to install with.

i dont see the retail media in technet.  I know this is pretty poor for me to ask, but can you point me to where i could find this when i log in?  I only see VL
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Hello,

This is the download you should choose for 32 or 64 bit, it was on the 3rd page of Windows 8.1 downloads for me.

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Hello,

This is the download you should choose for 32 or 64 bit, it was on the 3rd page of Windows 8.1 downloads for me.

well dang!  I was looking with all of the other 8.1 media and saw nothing else.  I think i have that as well, but cant see your screenshot if you posted it.  This is the one you are referencing correct?

So next question.. and hopefully the last haha.  Now that i have the VL copy installed, how can i switch it over to this retail one?  Can i just change my product key to the retail and be set or do i need to run something from the correct media?

Thanks a ton for all of your help.  I really hope that this helps far more people than just myself.  I was in a panic last night.  

• Edited by bbjewrican Friday, September 27, 2013 6:09 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Hello,

Hmm I posted the screenshot, but I cannot see it either, so it didn't take it

But yes that is the right one that you posted.

No you cannot just switch over to the Retail key, the VL media is different, it doesn't have the Media Center information in it that is needed to update to Media Center.

You will have to install using the Retail media

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Dang.  Will I be able to put the media in and do an upgrade of some sort or are you referring to a format / complete reinstall?  In other words, will I need to reinstall all my apps and such if i do so?

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Once you get media center installed, you'll get to find out that the Digital Cable Advisor is also broken in 8.1.

I had to work around that using the DCA installer for Win7 beta combined with Mikinho's hack.  I'm guessing it might be a side effect of them removing the Windows Experience Index.

Friday, September 27, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Hello,

You should be able to put the media in and run setup to do the upgrade

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Once you get media center installed, you'll get to find out that the Digital Cable Advisor is also broken in 8.1.

I had to work around that using the DCA installer for Win7 beta combined with Mikinho's hack.  I'm guessing it might be a side effect of them removing the Windows Experience Index.

Okay--this could explain why now that I have 8.1 + WMC working that high def channels will display, but as soon as you try to record they give you the signal lost message. Normal def channels record fine, and even with HD channels the PC doesn't even break a sweat but WMC thinks it can't keep up when recording. Ugh. I almost wish MS would spin this out to some other company to maintain and upgrade (metro version!!!). I would pay a lot more than $9.99 for a good WMC that was being maintained. It really is nice but aging software that nothing else comes close to.

Curt Kessler - FLC

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:56 PM

they know about the DCA bug. I was told that this will not happen to people that download from the Windows Store. I asked about a Windows Update for MSDN/TechNet folks and do not have a definitive answer.

Friday, September 27, 2013 11:08 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I have MC working though it won't activate digital cable so I can't get premium channels.
    I guess I'll have to wait until 8.1 is released to work this out.
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:30 PM
  • Any updates on this problem?  I've not seen anything (legal) that fixes this problem yet.
    Friday, October 04, 2013 4:22 PM
  • So I ran into the same problem. I was running Windows 8 Pro Retail from my MSDN subscription and upgraded to Media Center when MS was giving away free keys. It appears that these keys had an expiration date. I don't remember the day but I remember pushing a friend into activating his key at the time. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 8.1 which has been available through MSDN for a couple weeks now. First I was upset that setup was BUGGING me for a product key. I thought Upgrading to 8.1 from 8 was free according to all the recent articles. You can't even skip it. I tried a Windows 8 pro key, my media center key and both failed. I had to use a generated MSDN retail key. The upgrade took awhile and I selected to keep all apps and settings etc. Finally I got to a desktop and I checked activation. All is good. Everything is in its place. I then thought, lets upgrade to Media Center. I had 2 keys from 2 different emails. The first one failed and was invalid. This was the key I havn't used. I tried my second key(Used for Windows 8) and it took. It started upgrading to Media Center and ended with a red X and Failed message. The button said restart. After restart media center finished installing and now I am unactivated. None of my keys will work. Tried Windows 8, 8.1, preview, and media center keys. All failed. If you check the error detail I get 0xC004C003 Key has been Blocked. If I run slmgr /dlv I get a reason of 0xC004F009(Grace Time Expired).

Either the activation servers are refusing the Free Media Center keys they gave out last year, or the activation period for those keys have expired. I am gonna wait for World Release day and try to activate again.

I also tried a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro Retail. Same problem happened. I tried installing a fresh copy of the MSDN Windows 8.1 Preview. Same problem.....Problem is all on microsofts end......

Sunday, October 06, 2013 5:03 PM
  • I ran into this too, MSDN RTM Windows 8.1 with the free Media Center key from Microsoft.

We may have to wait for 8/16 to get re-activated by phone.

-Westley

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:29 PM
  • i dont think you guys are reading what Darrell from MS has stated above in response to me. 

No you cannot just switch over to the Retail key, the VL media is different, it doesn't have the Media Center information in it that is needed to update to Media Center.

You will have to install using the Retail media"

It is the media that you / I installed with.  You need to download the non VL media aka retail.  Then reinstall.  He did say that you may be able to "upgrade" to the retail media without losing everything but that is what has been stated.  If your install media didnt include that code, customer service wont be able to resolve it at release. 

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:34 PM
  • i dont think you guys are reading what Darrell from MS has stated above in response to me. 

You will have to install using the Retail media"

It is the media that you / I installed with.  You need to download the non VL media aka retail.  Then reinstall.  He did say that you may be able to "upgrade" to the retail media without losing everything but that is what has been stated.  If your install media didnt include that code, customer service wont be able to resolve it at release. 

not sure who "you guys" is in your response, but I think the vast majority of the people on this post did NOT use a VL install. myself included.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 5:36 PM
  • For anyone who has been able to upgrade to 8.1 with media center my question is do the previous recordings still play?   I have many recordings that are copy protected that play under my current WMC 8.0 setup But I wont upgrade if I lose the capability to play them back after upgrade.   I learned that the hard way when I tried to do a restore using my windows home server and lost the capability to play back recordings made after the restore date even though it was a restore of my same machine just to an earlier time... i needed to do that because I got a virus and wanted to restore to a time before that happened.  There should be a file that one could keep and restore that verifies you are using the same machine just a newer (or older) version of software.  
    Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Mine was OK

Monday, October 14, 2013 12:26 AM
  • I ran the script to check, and mine is a retail channel build, not VL.

-Westley

Monday, October 14, 2013 5:30 PM