none
First login has username or password incorrect

Question

• This should be simple, but I'm missing something. My PC has video problems, possibly a one of two video cards is bad. In an attempt to understand if this is driver issue or a hardware issue, I decided to reload Win 7 Pro from scratch. As an aside, there are a number of threads on the web about Nvidia drivers for the 8800GTX, SLI, and Win 7 - this is whyI'm not sure of what the problem there is. The current issue though, is after numerous attempts to install Win 7, at the initial login, I get "The username or password is incorrect." In every case, I have booted from the Win7 Pro 64 bit media disk I received from MS when I bought the key code. I delete, and recreate the partition on drive 0, and also hit format for the 100MB system partition that is automatically created, and the other single partition of the 500G drive.  Formatting only takes a few seconds to run. I've tried any combination of usernames and passwords starting with one that was used originally when the PC was running well. So I can never login and finish! Please help with a fix or sugestions. Thanks.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:38 PM

Answers

• WIN 7 is up and running. The resolution was far from what I expected.  There were two Nvidia 8800GTX video cards installed and I was experiencing video problems.  I was trying to do a fresh installation to help me determine if I had a driver problem or a hardware problem.  I got hung up on not being able to complete the Win 7 installation.  I pulled one of the video cards and plugged the monitor into the remaining one.  Video returned to normal and I was able to smoothly complete the WIN 7 installation.  I went through the process fairly methodically and can only attribute the resolution to the removal of the bad video card.  It is interesting that the only error message I received was the "The user name or password is incorrect" message.  I won't make any cracks about it though - I doubt beta testers were testing the installation on unhealthy PC's.  Apparently it is possible not to be able to complete an installation, and to receive the error about an incorrect user name or password, when the root cause is a hardware problem.
    • Marked as answer by triedandfried Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:00 AM
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Windows 7 has Administrative user disabled by default. You may be aware about it. So the user name you should use should be the name of the user you have created during installation and password as supplied. There is nothing new other than this

regards from www.windowsadmin.info
    ManuPhilip
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. I am using the username and password that I input during setup. The user is "Jim" and the password is 8 characters with some upper case letters, lower case letters, and numerics. There are no special characters or spaces. I've tried to set up and used this installation of WIN 7 with the same username and password that I had used prior to wiping the disk, and have also tried other combinations. Right after I hit next, I get the message that the username or password is incorrect. No combination of usernames or passwords has allowed me to login. I'm not a total noob and can't imagine what I am missing.  I find it hard to believe that there is an issue with the media from MS. The key code is accepted during the installation. I am at wit's end.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Install without a password and see if you can login
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Still no joy. I also created a single primary partition on drive 0 using diskpart by hitting shift-f10 from within the installer and avoided having the 100MB boot partition created by the installation process. I hit format on that partition from within the installer.  Tried the blank password and also did not put the key in, which can be done anytime during the grace period. So what I have here is a typical MS error message.  There seems to be some kind of issue, but WIn7 on it's initial login request can only report the error/issue with the "username or password is incorrect" message, which isn't true if it correctly recorded what I carefully typed.  I had Win 7 running well for over a month on this machine. The only thing that potentially changed is that I may have a bad video card (two Nvidia 8800GTX installed). The video currently lookd horid, but I was hoping to do a fresh install of WIN 7, a fresh driver install, and then see if I really had a bad board and needed to buy replacements.  I can see the fields well enough to input what installation requires and use tab to ensure that I haven't missed any fields.  I truley don't understand what the problem is here.  I've also used an installation dvd I created from a WIN 7 download and received the same results.  Help, I sinking!
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:47 PM
  • The only thing I see that I'm not sure of is that after I hit enter on Home Network, I am immediately taken to a login screen that never displayed my user name and didn't give me the opportunity to enter a password, but immediately shows "The user name or password is incorrect." I hit OK and it then shows the username and provides the opportunity to enter a password, but the response is still  the same username or password is incorrect.
    • Marked as answer by triedandfried Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by triedandfried Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:25 PM
  • WIN 7 is up and running. The resolution was far from what I expected.  There were two Nvidia 8800GTX video cards installed and I was experiencing video problems.  I was trying to do a fresh installation to help me determine if I had a driver problem or a hardware problem.  I got hung up on not being able to complete the Win 7 installation.  I pulled one of the video cards and plugged the monitor into the remaining one.  Video returned to normal and I was able to smoothly complete the WIN 7 installation.  I went through the process fairly methodically and can only attribute the resolution to the removal of the bad video card.  It is interesting that the only error message I received was the "The user name or password is incorrect" message.  I won't make any cracks about it though - I doubt beta testers were testing the installation on unhealthy PC's.  Apparently it is possible not to be able to complete an installation, and to receive the error about an incorrect user name or password, when the root cause is a hardware problem.
    • Marked as answer by triedandfried Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:00 AM
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Hey...had a similar issue...all machines WDS's windows 7 perfectly...except for one...which kept saying incorrect username and password....evrything else was exactlyt he same as 20 other PC's. Had also installed new NVIDIA video cards....everything down to the T was the same....

except....

THE TIME ON THE BIOS!

it said 2006...for only that machine....

changed that to the right one...and it worked...

Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:43 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. I come from a pretty tech savy background and I am missing something too. I have reinstalled windows 7 3 times now and there is no way around this. My next attempt will be to install vista set up the passwords the way i want them then use windows 7 to over write with my users and passwords still intact from the vista install.  This is not a good solution since i will have to lie to microsoft to get that vista copy validated, even though I have the full version of windows 7.

It has nothing to do with your video card. On a fresh install you dont have drivers installed for you video card or your motherboard so it is in like 7 bit color.

You know.. I might erase the 64 bit install and try installing the 32 bit this time.

This is really pathetic and infuriating.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 1:16 AM
  • This is getting interesting. It seems that there are some very obscure and seemingly unrelated, at least to the incorrect user/password error message, PC issues that preclude a successful installation.  In my case, I'm still thinking it was a bad video card. The display was much worse than just low res., it had a lot of strange stuff going on. When I get the time and courage, I will pull the current board and put the suspected one back in as a single to be certain of what is going on. I'll also try swapping cables and MB slots to be sure.

In your case, there's no hint of what is really the problem.  My only thought is to remove as many peripherals as possible, maybe go so far as to remove any internal boards that you can live without, and to get some hardware test software for extensive machine tests before trying again.  I know that there is some good freeware hardware test software out there, but I haven't taken the time to research it - maybe I should have.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Just to update you Triedadfried I got it working.

I was actually getting ready to install the 32-bit version to see if it would work, and i got mad that I missed hitting enter to boot from the cd for a fresh install so i hit reset switch. FINALLY the stupid windows safe mode option came up from that mistake and I got into safe mode long enough to add users and passwords. The original user name and password was definately missing from the list. The only one available was the administrator user name which was disabled.

So find a way into safe mode and manually setup you users.

Goodluck.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Okay, new Win7 user here, just bought my laptop today. I can't seem to boot up because the only name I have access to on the login screen says that the password is wrong. I know that password because it's the same as my login password on my grandmother's computer. I've tried rebooting in safe mode and it still asks for a user and password. I can't remove any hardware because it's a laptop. I'm really running low on nerves because I bought this laptop to make my life easier and all I'm getting now is an 800-dollar paperweight and frustration. I can't reinstall because I can't make a disc, I tried reinstalling from the boot menu, but it asks for the same username and password that I can't access with.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:03 PM
  • I wanted to take a minute and reply to this thread.  I had the SAME exact issue as the original poster...distorted video throughout the Win7 setup and twice after re-formatting and making sure I was using the correctly entered Username and password...each time resulting in "bad username or password"....and sure enough...after rebooting the PC into safe mode, there were only 2 disabled accounts (Administrator and Guest)...no user account.  Create my user account + password here and I'm all set / getting windows updates to fix my video issues.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I had a similiar issue and found this thread while looking for the resolution...

It sounds as though there are a couple of scenarios going on: 1.) Your computer is on autologin you don't have the password for the username that occurs at login and you don't have an alternative login username and password. OR, 2.)You don't have the password for the user name at login but you DO have a alternative username and password.

In my case (#2) this situation occured off of a company build of windows 7 and was joined to the Domain. Some how the Autologin was set with an unknown username. To resolve the issue Login to the computer with an alternative login.

1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to launch the “Run” dialog box.
    2. Type in control userpasswords2
    3. Press Enter. The User Accounts window will display.
    4. CHECK the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”
    5. Click “OK”
    6. Restart your computer and the old "unkown" username and the error will be gone.
    7. You will nolonger have to hit "other user".

Going into SafeMode and adding an additional username and password may assist with the issue of not having any username and password, but it will not solve the issue of autologin and the need to hit "other user". The above fix will.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:22 PM