none
Windows 7 installation problem-"Windows needs the driver for device [Primary IDE Channel].

Question

• I downloaded the RC ISO, burned to a DVD and ran the DVD in XP. Once i got to the screen asking to select the partition to install, I got this message: 

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [Primary IDE Channel]. Click 'Load Driver' and load the required device driver."

I have only one hard disk in my desktop and it's been no problem with XP. I looked all the places for the driver, but no luck. Can anyone tell me where to get the driver? Isn’t windows 7 supposed to recognize the disk automatically?

Also, my 4-year old desktop does not have the BIOS bootup choices for DVD and USB, so I have to run the installation DVD disk in XP. 

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:13 PM

Answers

• Check this post

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/a43574ad-e8d0-4d9e-aa86-6ddfda1e9079/

I was in the same boat and it's because XP doesn't use the same driver as what Win 7 requires. Instead of jumping through all the hoops I did, however, try running Windows Updates and see if the new drivers gets updated that way. The way to test it is to run the Win 7 compatability wizard, which I think should be an option from the install screen? If not, I think you can access it from the windows website.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:49 PM

All replies