none
internet explorer 8 on windows 7 home premium

Question

• I have a new computer with windows 7 and internet explorer 9 but I need ie 8. If I uninstall ie9 using windows features there's no way to downgrade to internet explorer 8 and I can't find on the web internet explorer 8 for windows 7. Where can I find it?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you see IE9 from Windows Feature, it indicates IE9 has not been removed. Therefore, you cannot IE8 anywhere.  

It seems you have found the workaround with IE9. If you have any further question regarding back to IE8, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Niki HanModerator Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by ariz84 Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:42 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:19 AM

All replies

• If you uninstall IE9 it will rollback to the previes version IE installed on that machine.

IE8 is shipped and included in Windows 7 by default, so you should have IE8 installed currently.

If you still can't find it, try Start - type "internet explorer" whether it is found. If not, go to Windows Update - Turn Windows features on or off and install it from there.

• Edited by MCCZ Friday, September 23, 2011 11:30 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:24 AM
  • I already did what your're talking about on other machines. In this case when I uninstalled ie9 no other browser appeared. I simply have no internet explorer anymore... Unfortunately I need internet explorer 8.

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:15 PM
  • What do you see in the Windows Features window? Is the IE 8 item checked or unchecked?

Also check whether the following files exists "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (the latter does not exists on the 32 bit operating systems)?

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:13 PM
  • How to downgrade from Internet Explorer 9 to Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7

Downgrading Internet Explorer from 9 to 8 is a feature “hidden” from view in Windows 7. Since there isn’t a download available for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7, the only way to revert back is through the “View Installed Updates” menu inside Control Panel -> Programs.

I had to revert back to IE8 since we still have a number of users with Windows XP (which only runs in IE8)

You can remove IE9 and install IE8 using the following steps.

1. Close all programs.

2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3. Click Uninstall a Program under the Programs category

4. In the Tasks pane, click View installed updates.

5. In the list of installed updates, double-click Windows Internet Explorer 9.

Once Internet Explorer 9 has been uninstalled from your system, the computer will require a reboot. After rebooting, your computer should now revert back to Internet Explorer 8.

To disable IE8 or IE9 in Windows 7, go to Control Panel -> Programs. Click on the “Turn on Windows Features on or off” link. Uncheck Internet Explorer 9 (or Internet Explorer 8). The system will then act as if Internet Explorer is no longer installed. You can re-enable it via a simple checkbox.

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:15 PM
  • I didn't find any internet explorer 9 update and from windows feature I can see only internet explorer 9, no internet explorer 8. Anyway internet explorer 9 seems to work well using compatibility mode.. If there's no other issue I think that's the solution
    • Edited by ariz84 Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:14 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

If you see IE9 from Windows Feature, it indicates IE9 has not been removed. Therefore, you cannot IE8 anywhere.  

It seems you have found the workaround with IE9. If you have any further question regarding back to IE8, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Niki HanModerator Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by ariz84 Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:42 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:19 AM
  • when i go to windows features, there is no version of IE in the list. I have looked in the + boxes in windows features and nothing at all. i searched my computer and nothing comes up. i've tried everything i have found here and nothing seems to work. Any other help available?
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:41 PM
  • I have the same issue.  Windows 7 home premium.   I uninstalled IE9 by going to the control panel, uninstall a program, view installed updates, and removed IE9.  Then I rebooted the computer.   It did not revert back to IE8.  I went to Turn windows features on or off and I do not see anything about IE8 or IE9.  I go to C:\ Program files and I see a folder for IE but there are no .exe files in it.  Same with C:\Program Files(x86)   There is only a en-us folder a signup folder and a sqmapi.dll file.  The en-us folder is empty.

I ran MS updates and it doesn't offer to reinstall IE9 but did offer to install a security fix for IE8.  I installed the security fix and rebooted and still no IE8

I opened a run box and typed iexplore.exe and get Windows cannot find iexplore.exe 

I reinstalled IE9 and it works as it should, but I have an application that I need to use that does not support IE9 so I need IE8 back.  

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:10 PM
  • I have the same issue.  Windows 7 home premium.   I uninstalled IE9 by going to the control panel, uninstall a program, view installed updates, and removed IE9.  Then I rebooted the computer.   It did not revert back to IE8.  I went to Turn windows features on or off and I do not see anything about IE8 or IE9.  I go to C:\ Program files and I see a folder for IE but there are no .exe files in it.  Same with C:\Program Files(x86)   There is only a en-us folder a signup folder and a sqmapi.dll file.  The en-us folder is empty.

I ran MS updates and it doesn't offer to reinstall IE9 but did offer to install a security fix for IE8.  I installed the security fix and rebooted and still no IE8

I opened a run box and typed iexplore.exe and get Windows cannot find iexplore.exe 

I reinstalled IE9 and it works as it should, but I have an application that I need to use that does not support IE9 so I need IE8 back.  

^This. I was also on the phone with Microsoft support for about two hours. The representative had me do a system restore (which did nothing, not even revert back to the IE9 install) and tried all the bogus "fixes" listed everywhere on the Microsoft forums. The rep even tried to do what I did several times (with every available version of IE8) and tried to run an install of another OS' version of IE8. Of course a dialog box popped up every time with "IE8 is not supported on this OS."

You'd think with so many complaints (and even their own helpdesk being unable to fix it) they'd just have their devs make a compatible version for 7 - or at least fix 9.

And I really wish Las D. Rashid (and other partners) would quit jumping on every IE8 forum and copyposting the same bogus fix. It's frustrating to sift through a thread of the same fix copyposted twelve times.

• Edited by MachineX9 Sunday, October 07, 2012 11:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ramlock79 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ramlock79 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:11 PM
    Sunday, October 07, 2012 11:40 PM
  • Can I just point something out.

There is the option to go into Microsoft "Programs" to un-tick "Internet Explorer 9" that will take away IE. All that will happen is you will loose your browser.....tested it and failed return to "Internet Explorer 8".

However, there is the option in "Microsoft Updates" to right click and uninstall the "Internet Explorer 9 update", and you can then uninstall the update and windows 7 will revert to internet explorer 8. I tried this and it worked.

So I hope this can help someone else too.

regards PB.

• Edited by ramlock79 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ramlock79 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:24 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:19 PM