none
Windows 8 VPN not working - error 720

Question

• I am running the RTM version of windows 8 on my laptop and get an error code 720 when I try and connect to my VPN service. The VPN worked fine for a few weeks and then stopped working giving me the "Error 720 - A connection to the remote computer could not be established." I've switched VPN servers and turned off firewalls which have not resolved the issue. I'm hoping that it is just a bug in the yet to be released OS because before I started receiving the error 720, internet connection sharing would not work using the VPN either. Has anyone experienced the same issue and know the fix?
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:06 AM

Answers

• I tried all the solutions you recommended and I hit a brick wall for one reason or another during the process. I couldn't uninstall TCP/IP because it wasn't an option and the netsh would not run without admin privileges even though I was logged in under my admin account. I ended up doing a system refresh which fixed the error. This machine has gone through vista to 7 and now 8 so losing all the old "baggage" applications probably isn't a terrible thing.

I'm still having issues with the apps from the start screen (xbox music, news, video, etc.) telling me they aren't connected to the internet while I am using my VPN service. I will post that issue in a separate posting.

Thanks for all your assistance. I still think there are some inherent bugs in 8 that need to be worked out, but that is to be expected from any new OS.

• Marked as answer by flguy5 Friday, November 09, 2012 9:00 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 11:05 AM

All replies

• VPN error 720 is protocol issue. I would double-check protocol configuration in both sites. Also make sure the RAS can assign IP to thVPN Client. These links may help;

VPN error 720

Error 720 - No PPP Control Protocols Configured - Case 1. Symptom: When
    attempting to establish a VPN connection to Windows RRAS, you may receive
    the ...

www.chicagotech.net/VPN/error720.htm

Bob Lin, MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:10 PM
  • I've discovered that there is an issue with the drivers associated with the WAN miniports on my computer which I'm assuming is causing my connection issues.. The error message in the device status is "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". I'm not able to uninstall/reinstall the ports and the driver says it is up to date although it does not work. Unless someone knows a fix I guess I'm stuck until my manufacturer releases the device drivers for windows 8.
    • Edited by flguy5 Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:36 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:35 PM
  • correct, WAN Miniport could be the issue. You may need to re-install TCP/IP protocol. This link give you step by step instruction.

VPN Error 720 - Chicagotech.net

VPN Error 720 - the connection attempt failed because your computer and the
    remote computer could not ... over the icon for the WAN Miniport IP (#2) device.

www.chicagotech.net/VPN/error720b.htm

• Marked as answer by flguy5 Monday, October 15, 2012 6:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by flguy5 Friday, October 26, 2012 11:27 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:56 AM
  • The option to unistall tcp/ip under the adapter properties isn't working because the "uninstall" button ins't activated (The box is there, but its not pressable). Is there another way to uninstall/install the protocol?
    Monday, October 15, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Check your connection properties. I found that the default VPN was set to auto and trying to use L2TP instead of PPTP.

If you are still using PPTP, change the VPN type to PPTP and make sure to enable MS-Chapv2 authentication

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Or you may want to use netsh command to reset TCP/IP. This search result may help.

Troubleshooting TCP/IP Broken Connection

Reset TCP/IP

to Original Configuration- Using the NetShell utility, type in this
    command: netsh int ip reset [file_name.txt], [file_name.txt] is the name of the file ...
    www.chicagotech.net/Networking/brokenconnection1.htm

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:43 PM
  • I tried all the solutions you recommended and I hit a brick wall for one reason or another during the process. I couldn't uninstall TCP/IP because it wasn't an option and the netsh would not run without admin privileges even though I was logged in under my admin account. I ended up doing a system refresh which fixed the error. This machine has gone through vista to 7 and now 8 so losing all the old "baggage" applications probably isn't a terrible thing.

I'm still having issues with the apps from the start screen (xbox music, news, video, etc.) telling me they aren't connected to the internet while I am using my VPN service. I will post that issue in a separate posting.

Thanks for all your assistance. I still think there are some inherent bugs in 8 that need to be worked out, but that is to be expected from any new OS.

• Marked as answer by flguy5 Friday, November 09, 2012 9:00 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 11:05 AM
  • the same problems here, on my both 32bit and64bit, Windows8 computers. No 3rd party AV, FW used.

Jiri Cvrk

• Edited by Jiri Cvrk Friday, November 23, 2012 8:50 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 8:31 AM
  • checked much time, useless, endless,  btw. connection from XP virtual machine on the same W8 machine works fine.

Jiri Cvrk

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:32 AM
  • same issue here. I use strongVPN; all works fine on my other devices, Ipad, Android phone, older XP laptop. The people from StrongVPN have completely  checked my configuration on W8 x64. All ok from their side.

It's defintly windows 8 causing the issue... it's not the firewall, it's not AV... 

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Same here. Cannot establish and VPN connections (PPTP and SSTP). Really hope that MS will resolve this issue ASAP.

JZ

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Look please at post here, jamicque consider that the reason are drivers updates...

Jiri Cvrk

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:44 AM
  • in another very old thread on lenovo site is a very old solution for old systems here.

It reinstalls wan miniport drivers, modified registry and inf file for drivers.

Could be working under Windows 8 too. 

For me it worked.

To reset IP protocol from elevated command prompt, under Windows 8 gives following message with access denied. But finally it seems to be working. If please anybody can explaint it... it should be very nice.

Jiri Cvrk

• Proposed as answer by JiriCvrk Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JiriCvrk Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:05 PM
    • Edited by JiriCvrk Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ybsteg Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:33 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Dear all ,

I have been working to solve this issue like 2 month ago , and I was sure that this is somehow of a miss-configuration, Managed to solve my problem by checking what I have installed as software and such .

I Wasn't pretty sure what is the software or what was the software causing all the issues , but in my case it was Antamedia DHCP server which wasn't even compatible with Win 8 yet 

now please this is only for professional IT users , those who cannot handle this kind of configuration don't do it , as it may damage your whole system , our work will be in the Registry editor , 

Run --> regedit --> locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-

08002BE10318}

now the trick is to backup this file by exporting it and saving it somewhere ,and after you have to browse the keys for the one installed by your software and causing all the issues .

any one not abling to locate the key just send me the export file or post it here as a reply and maybe I can help him fix it , I know how annoying this issue is and that's why I'm offering my help , and in case of non professional users I may be able to help them remotely when ever I'm online just send me an email on moustafac@softflow.com.lb

Please remember to mark this as answer if it works thank you and hope it helps you all from all over the world

Moustafa Chouraiki

Infrastructure Engineer

Softflow , Lebanon , Microsoft Partners .

(ActiveDirectory , Win 7 ,Win 8 , TMG  , Lync 2010, SEP ,Exchange Server 2010 )

Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:56 PM
  • @Jiri Cvrk

Worked on Windows 8 64-bit ThinkPad W520!

Only thing what I made a little bit different due to Windows 8 "user friendliness" was reboot after uninstalling WAN Miniport IP and  WAN Miniport PPTP (however Device Manager was shoving both devices).

After restart Device Manager showed yellow “!” mark and I had chosen to update driver and manually pick appropriate driver - Microsoft -  WAN Miniport IP and WAN Miniport PPTP.

After second reboot my VPN worked flawlessly!

I was accusing ESET Smart Security antivirus and lot of other stuff for breaking VPN and at the end I’ve uninstalled only Intel Networking Software and Lenovo Dependency Package.

So far VPN is working as expected!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Could you please tell me what 's wrong with my machine ?

Here is the exported reg file in {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

http://pastebin.com/BHU3RZxh

Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:04 AM
  • None of this works for me. This is the most irritating thing. I purchased 2 Dell laptops from Best Buy on the same day, same model, both Windows 8. I have several customers that use PPTP VPNs to connect to their systems. On one of the laptops, after a couple weeks, it started giving me Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection. The other laptop, along with every other Windows 8 PC I have in my office, all connect to these VPNs daily without issue. So I restored that laptop back to factory defaults and started over. It again worked for 2-3 weeks, and then suddenly started giving the Error 720 again when trying to connnect to ANY of the PPTP VPNs. I can't keep resetting it to factory defaults every few weeks. I have customers that use the Cisco VPN, and that connects fine on it. So does the Sonicwall one. I'm at a loss with this. I tried Jiri's thing, it didn't work. Microsoft wants to charge me money, and I'm sure will not end up with any permanent resolve anyway, and Dell told me to contact a local computer technician. I just tried a Windows 8 Refresh today, but that did nothing for me. If anybody else ends up finding a solution for this, I would love to know it!
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:39 PM
  • Here is an article written by me.  http://techslate.net/windows-8-error-720-problem-with-connection/.

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 03, 2013 1:15 PM
  • what to do after backup of the file...how to browse the key installed by the software?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Running Windows 8 Pro and using StrongVPN now. all configurations are correct. It is a Windows 8 problem. For some reason, Microsoft seems bent on selling us defective software every few years.
    • Edited by walaueh Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:25 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:06 AM
  • I fixed the problem only, that use now a minirouter TP-Link TL-MR3020.

Windows8 64bit didn't work together with many USB-Sticks especially from Huawei.

The driver support from Huawei is realy bad. It could be work, if you buy a new stick but it's not for sure.

But through the minrouter it works fine.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:21 PM
  • So has anyone else attempted to get Microsoft involved?  I logged on their "help" site and indicated to them that I had just recently upgraded to 8.1 and received the "Error 720"....no changes in either my settings or the VPN work settings.  The technician took over my machine and looked at my VPN parameters ....reviewed the registry...etc.  Unfortunately I was at a hotel and my connection was not as consistent it we would like it so we determined that after his "tweaking" I should attempt again when more stable.

Upon getting to a more stable environment still had the "Error 720" issue and re-connected with the "tech" team...that's when somehow it was decided that I should be routed to tech support....where they wanted to charge me $500 ... in my mind to assist them.... in fixing this standard OS feature

If anyone finds a solution before Microsoft fixes it the rest of the world of course will greatly appreciate it

Saturday, November 09, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hi Ybsteg,

This VPN issue is also driving me crazy. I would like to try your solution. Can you please telle me how to uninstall WAN miniport IP andWAN Miniport PPTP from windows 8. Thanks for your help,

RM

Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Dear Ybsteg and users on this thread,

i solved this bug using this article Uninstall miniport when cannot normaly

in princip change driver of miniport to other one which can be normaly uninstalled, remove that adapter from device manager and then restart os.

do that on all vpn types which suffer this bug.

in my case that was pptp vpn, i delete ip, ipv6, pptp miniports 3x restart each one after other.

then my pptp works again after restart, windows install miniport again and problem is solved.

But i dont know reason of that behavior in windows, in my case it was random after network change settings on all adapter or hyper-v config.

Michalek

• Proposed as answer by Jon.Mozley Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:41 PM
  • I also seem to be having this error while trying to connect to VPN. It is set up in exactly the same way as every other machine in the office as it is pushed down by group policy, we've checked it against other VPN setups on other machines as well. The error is only happening on the new HP EliteBook 840 G1 that we're testing currently, on Windows 8.1. We initially thought that it was Windows 8.1 but the VPN is working fine on other OLDER laptops are also on Windows 8.1. Tried installing every driver under the sun for this machine also, no cookie.

If anybody has any suggestions that aren't already suggested I would be grateful for the feedback.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Install and connect with OpenVPN http://openvpn.net/

it works for me

gerard

Friday, December 20, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Dear Ybsteg and users on this thread,

i solved this bug using this article Uninstall miniport when cannot normaly

Michalek

Hi Michalek,

This worked great for me. Running Windows 8 Enteprise. I was getting issues with two VPNs, one gave the 720 error, the other was 800. Both now resolved!

Many thanks

Jon

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Anyone looking for a solution, this SuperUser answer ended up doing it for me.

http://superuser.com/questions/525602/all-created-vpns-result-in-error-720/695846#695846

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm connecting to a number of clients using a variety of VPN technologies (Cisco Ipsec, Cisco Anyconnect, Windows VPN) and running into problems with all 3 on Windows 8.1. For the Cisco Ipsec client, the issue I usually face is that I can connect to the VPN successfully, but then once connected can not access any resources on that network.  With the Anyconnect client, I'll get error messages such as "The VPN Client driver has encountered an error" or similar. With the Windows VPN, I continue to get the "Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established." I have multiple clients on each technology that I connect to, so I'm positive this is not a VPN server issue on their side of things. I'm constantly facing issues with one or all of them not working that is forcing me to restart my computer, uninstall/reinstall the WAN Miniports, update the registry, uninstall/reinstall the Cisco clients, reset the TCP/IP stack, and then usually on top of that do a system restore once a week when all else fails. Any help or guidance on things to try would be hugely appreciated.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:55 AM
  • It's 2014.

Like Brian Mosher, we also have this *ridiculous* problem. Microsoft. With Windows 8 laptops.

Please could you get a senior engineer to examine this problem because it is very real indeed.

Symptoms - a few weeks pass and the problem occurs. Why? Please answer this question about a fundamental product feature.

Anticipating assistance from Microsoft as soon as possible now. This issue should have been resolved.

Saturday, March 01, 2014 3:22 PM
  • I have the same issue as Josh. We use Cisco VPN Client, Cisco AnyConnect VPN client and Windows VPN to connect to clients and after a couple of weeks they just stopped working. Using Windows 8 Enterprise. I get error 720 with the Windows VPN and like Josh, the Cisco VPN client connects but can't connect to any network resources, when i check the stsus of the network adapter it shows no bytes sent or received. If anyone finds a resolution to this i would love to know as it is driving me crazy as well!

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 12:05 AM
  • Same problem here. Using a Dell Precision laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro. VPNs (several) worked fine until yesterday. Now they all give error 720.
    Tried several solutions mentioned above, nothing works.

Installed a Cisco vpn client to contact one of our customers' website - no problem at all there.

**EDIT March 24***

It appears that an update of the network driver caused this; fortunately there was also an updata available for the wifi driver. Installing both fixed the issue.

Friday, March 21, 2014 7:24 AM
  • I had the same problem on a Lenovo T430, Windows 8.1 Pro. I had been using the same VPN for over a year and suddenly, one day it stopped working giving me the error 720.

What I know, I haven't installed anything or done any changes in the system configuration. I also tried to verify that in the event viewer since I used the VPN just one day before it stopped working... found nothing in the event viewer.

I have tried Everything but nothing have worked until I read Frédéric BOURLA's post in

http://superuser.com/questions/525602/all-created-vpns-result-in-error-720

In normal case you are not allowed to uninstall the miniports but Frederics post makes it possible by first install an invalid driver.

Also, I didn't need to delete any records in the registry just do following steps:

1. Add the VPN adapter (which will not work)
    2. Locate all miniports in the Device Manager under network adapters. (IKEv2, IP, IPv6 etc)
    3. Right click on each miniport, then "Update Driver Software" -> "Browse my computer" -> "Let me pick driver from a list" -> uncheck "Show compatible hardware" and wait for drivers listing generation... Then pick the first "Microsoft" drivers listed [BlueTooth Personal], and ignore warnings. The broken and undeletable miniport will then become a fake bluetooth card, which you will be able to delete.
    4. Repeat point 3 for all miniports.
    5. Reboot the system.
    6. When trying to connect which the VPN adapter (1) all miniports are recreated and the VPN should be connecting successfully.

=> Solved the issue for me!

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 8:59 PM
  • Thanks!!!....THIS WORKED!!!...I have been waiting since November for someone to come up with a solution that works....I have tried several that worked for others but it didn't for me....I think I even tried something similar to this previously but this worked....I hope it sticks!!

Thanks again!!

mmit

Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:17 PM