none
Setup Error "Program can't start because API-MS-Win-Core-ErrorHandling-L1-1-0.dll is missing"

Question

• Hello,
    I just installed MDT 2010 Beta 1 and tried setting up a Windows 7 RC1 x64 system and got the error "Program can't start because API-MS-Win-Core-ErrorHandling-L1-1-0.dll is missing" during setup.  If I click ignore, then setup continues successfully.  Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
    Friday, May 08, 2009 3:26 PM

Answers

• OK my build does this in PE just after the an unattended install is started and the install window appears.  At that point my path is just X:\windows and X:\Windows\System32 (WinPE).

So after making a copy og the unhidden file I added it to my System32 DIR on our PE Image.  I then got prompted for one of its friends API-MS-Win-Core-File... so I copied in all the DLL's starting with API- from Win7 Sys32 to PE Sys32 (they are all pretty small).

And walla no error so it worked.  My iso grew a few meg and I am sure this isn't a great solution but one more in a long list of bugs is worked around for now.

FIX (well work around).  Otherwise get these files in your path at that time unhidden.
    IronPaw
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:51 AM

All replies

• I already had  MDT 2010 Beta 1 installed on a "technician" pc with Windows 7 Beta x86 system loaded. Once Windows 7 RC came out I attempted to update the "technician" pc with the newer OS. I kept getting the following error message "Unexpected Error....An unexpected error occurred during the wizard processing. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) error install.wim. Once I removed the Windows Beta x86 system load from MDT 2010 Beta and changed the default path in the 2010 MDT tool from "Windows 7 x86" to "Windows 7 RCx86" I was able to perform a scripted installation. However, when
    I tried setting up a Windows 7 RC1 x86 system and got the error "Program can't start because API-MS-Win-Core-ErrorHandling-L1-1-0.dll is missing" during setup.  If I click ignore, then setup continues successfully.  So, I'm experiencing the same thing. This file is part of Microsoft® Windows® Operating System. Api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-0.dll is developed by Microsoft Corporation. It’s a system and hidden file. Api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-0.dll is usually located in the %SYSTEM% folder and its usual size is 3,072 bytes. Sounds like this made need to be resolved in the MDT 2010 toolset.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hi all

I've got the same problem with MDT 2010 and Windows 7 RC1 x86

Someone found womething for fix the problem ?

Thank you
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:24 AM
  • I'm not sure that this is related but the system does not get added to the domain after running a Windows 7 RC1 installation from MDT 2010 Beta.  The add to domain settings in CustomSettings.INI and Bootstrap.ini work fine in MDT 2008 but not in MD 2010 Beta.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Hi all !

I've got the same problem too.

Who have the solution ? :)

Thanks !
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:19 PM

• I get this on x86 WAIK based install also.  Looking in other places it seems related to new drivers added to PE (cannot confirm) though it happens to me in an early build phase.  Just looking at it more now.

I think we are on our own for all things Windows 7.
    IronPaw
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:31 AM

• api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-0.dll
    GetErrorMode GetLastError RaiseException
    SetErrorMode SetLastError SetUnhandledExceptionFilter
    UnhandledExceptionFilter

http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/windows_7_kernel_architecture_changes.html

http://www.win7dll.info/api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-0_dll.html

This file is in the System32 DIR but it is hidden (I suggest getting a third party search tool as since Vista search is all but useless for techs).  I wonder if something cannot find it hidden.

Check what you have for a path when you see the error (generally you can do SHIFT-F10 to get a command prompt through most of the build).  Try (if possible) unhiding it or if it is not in the path add it to the path.
    IronPaw
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:54 AM

• OK my build does this in PE just after the an unattended install is started and the install window appears.  At that point my path is just X:\windows and X:\Windows\System32 (WinPE).

So after making a copy og the unhidden file I added it to my System32 DIR on our PE Image.  I then got prompted for one of its friends API-MS-Win-Core-File... so I copied in all the DLL's starting with API- from Win7 Sys32 to PE Sys32 (they are all pretty small).

And walla no error so it worked.  My iso grew a few meg and I am sure this isn't a great solution but one more in a long list of bugs is worked around for now.

FIX (well work around).  Otherwise get these files in your path at that time unhidden.
    IronPaw
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:51 AM