none
Vista Business keeps restarting after windows update 14/2/08

Question

• Yesterday, February 14th, Vista came up with an info that new updates are ready to be installed so I installed them. After the installation, a restart was necessary so I restartet. Since then, vista keeps restarting. Generally it boots without any problems, comes to the logon screen. It says "Configuring updates. Step 3 of 3. Please do not turn off your computer...". That takes a little while, lets say a minute or two, then it shuts down (Message "Shutting down...") and restarts and the story starts over...

So no errors, just configuring updates and restarting. safe mode works!

Could please anyone help me out here?

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:03 AM

All replies

• I cut the power plug, now even safe mode doesnt work anymore...

any help is much appreciated

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:09 AM
  • i have the exact problem... any help please?
    Friday, February 15, 2008 12:53 PM
  • One of my users has the same issue. Won't go into any Safe mode option. Displays the same message and then shuts down. Last Known Good Config doesn't work. Disabling driver signing doesn't work.

Anyone figure this one out yet?

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:42 PM
  • what do you mean one of your users? accounts in vista?
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:49 PM
  • I have the same problem with one of our computer in the office!!!!  Microsoft common!!!!

I need something to fix it!!!!!

It's rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:58 PM
  • I was able to get this resolved temporarily by booting from the Vista DVD, choosing the repair option and running system restore back to the 13th. I will have to disable automatic updates until I can figure out what is happening with the updates.

Friday, February 15, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Ya that only works if you have a full system install disk and not a manufacturer's disk.

This is amazing that they would install updates automatically that kill whole computer systems. And here I thought a virus would do that... but naa some idiot programmer head at MS figured not testing patches on all systems is ok...

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Just happened to me after an automatic windows update. I could boot into Ubuntu Linux and delete a file if anyone knows what files I need to nuke to get rid of this behavior. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:03 PM
  • I was also finally able to get it resolved by booting from the Vista CD and going back to a restore point a couple of days backs. Yikes, that was nasty. Hope MS gets that thing fixed very soon. I'm shutting off automatic updates until then.

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  

It does the same thing in Vista Home Premium. My laptop starts, starts to configure the update, and restarts. Then the process continues again and again. Even in safe mode, it gets to the log on screen, promptly restarts in normal mode, and does the update configuration and once again restarts. Its very frustrating.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I wanted to post this from Slashdot earlier but didn't have a chance.

Echostorm writes with word that Windows Vista SP1, which began rolling out via Automatic Update, has left some users' machines unbootable. The update loops forever on "Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 — 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer." "Shutting down"... restart and loop. Echostorm notes having found traces of what sounds like the same bug in early beta releases of SP1. It's unclear how many users are affected. So far there is no word on a fix from Microsoft.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Same issue!!! HELP!!!
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:53 PM
  • I tried this but I only have a single restore point (2/15) to restore to which is after this update was installed. So when I restore to that point, it basically goes through the infinite install/reboot cycle. I really don't fell like reinstalling Vista and wiping my PC clean. Please help!
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:04 AM
  • i´ve got the same issue since today. first an update for windows defender was installed, but this was only a signatur update. after the windows defender update, the odd update showed up. i wondered why there the descprition only mentioned something about a reboot, but nothing about what the patch will fix. i´m running vista business, all official patchs applied, but not sp1.

vista really start to annoying me. this is my 3 busted vista installation. the first bust was my failure, i did alot of testing with this installation. the 2nd busted vista was thru windows update too. i installed the newest chipset drivers over windows update, because i thought the new drivers would make my system more stable, but i just got an bsod orgy. no chance to repair, complete reinstall. now windows update busted me the 3rd time. really nice, booted my ubuntu today after 3 months of non useage, performed an apt-get update && install, went away to drink a coffee, came back, everything finished and ready to use. well atleast i´m lucky, i got plenty of pc and os to choice. using now my good old w2k pro and ubuntu again, until a solution for reboot ory is around.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Same problem here, using Vista Home.

Since I'm using a VAIO (wich doesn't come with Vista installation CD), I would have to buy a seperate CD from Sony, wich will cost me at least $70,-... because of an official Windows Update? I don't think so!

Com'on Microsoft! There's got to be a solution for this... right?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Same problem too... I've not got any idea what to do. For whatever reason system restore won't work and no way am Iosing all my files because of an official update. There has to be some sort of fix.

Could someone point me in the right direction regarding which disc to use for a system boot?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:12 PM
  • I have the same problem. Why isn't MS replying to any of these messages?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Hold on/off button untill machine shuts down ,, hit button again to restart , at the same time repeatedly hit the f10 key , when you see a load of gobbledegook on the screen hit enter ,, machine should reboot normally , them via control panel turn off auto updates untill MS fix the problem.. 

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:38 AM
  • f10 key has absolutely no effect in my case. you talking about f8?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:28 AM
  • On start up tap F8 until you get to the boot screen

Run the "Repair my computer" option

Enter your username and password

Run the system restore for a point in time before the update was installed and then restart after it's done. (note: there is a tick box in the bottom left hand corner which says something like "choose restore point older than 5 days", if you don't immediately see any restore points tick this box)

That should get you back up and running again, no rebuilds or system disks required! Smile

The easy option is to turn off automatic updates for a while and hope Microsoft sort the problem out but I've been made aware that the culprit is update KB937287 so you could if you wish just deactivate that specific update.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:53 AM
  • I have the same problem. My computer has no restore points, so I cant restore to the 13.

Why isn´t MS answering this thread?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:41 AM
  • There is a tick box in the bottom left hand corner which says something like "choose restore points older than 5 days".

Vista automatically creates restore points after installations so you should have one somewhere.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:32 PM
  • there is no "Repair my computer" option on my F8 menu... safemode and stuff only.. how is that?

and when i hit F10 repeatedly on boot it asks if i want to start "Flash Recovery" - what's that?
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:08 AM
  • Forget about flash recovery, dont want to be going there , anyway,, as F8 only gets you into the boot option menu on the latest bios machines ( depends on bios ) the boot help menu is now accessed via the F10 key , can be a bit tricky to get into though , you need to repeatedly hit the F10 key during start up , the Repair my  computer option is good , or the last known good option should work as well ,, check disk would fix it too ,but i haven had time to figure out how to get it to run yet , very short of time , still checking though  , very surprised MS havent picked up on this yet  , dissappointing,,

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:26 AM
  • This is mind blowing.  I am also stuck in this never ending reboot process after a recent auto update on my HP DV9xxx notebook.  I tried booting with a Vista disk, but unfortunately I do not have any system restore points, so it did me no good.  I can't believe there is not a fix for this yet.  (Perhaps there is no fix since you can't actually get into the OS without a system restore...)

I am going to be really annoyed if I have to reinstall and lose data that was not backed up.  If I'm forced into a new install, I will definitely be taking the opportunity to "upgrade" back to WinXP...
    Friday, February 22, 2008 8:10 AM
  • ç*"+%*ç%"*W%+" microsoft, forces me again to reinstall windows vista. Embarassing...

Complaining about software piracy but Microsoft itself is causing millions of costs because so many people waste time getting their MS *** to run.

Only solution: by a Mac. why? Because MS isn't even answering on this thread. Thank you for this great customer care...

Sunday, March 02, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Which update was it?   Have you tried to uninstall it?

You can check this by going to:
    control panel, security center, check for updates,
    Installed Updates (not "View update history")

This will give you the list of updates, by Name and Number (usually preceeded with KB), status, type, and date installed.

Click on the suspected update, then click "Uninstall".

It may try to reload with the next batch of updates, so you may want to make your updates "manual" instead of "automatic":
    Control Panel, System and Maintenance, Windows Update,
     Change Settings
    Uncheck "Install Updates Automatically" and check "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install".

Windows XP used to let you eliminate any rejected update that you do not want to be reminded of, but it seems that Vista haunts you and seems to slow the system down.

I wanted to know the update number, because recently no wireless pointing devices (mouse) will work with my laptop.  Only an $8 GE wired  mouse!

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:35 AM
  • I tried that. It goes to boot screen and by pressing Enter it goes to the same restart loop again.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Does anybody know about any solution from Microsoft about this problem? I have tried many different ways, but no success. It seems the only way is a fresh install of Vista, but I have left this as my last option; I don't want to loose all my data and install all programs again. Please let me know if you have seen a solution somewhere.

Thanks.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:50 PM
  •  Bozely wrote:

On start up tap F8 until you get to the boot screen

Run the "Repair my computer" option

Enter your username and password

Run the system restore for a point in time before the update was installed and then restart after it's done. (note: there is a tick box in the bottom left hand corner which says something like "choose restore point older than 5 days", if you don't immediately see any restore points tick this box)

That should get you back up and running again, no rebuilds or system disks required!

The easy option is to turn off automatic updates for a while and hope Microsoft sort the problem out but I've been made aware that the culprit is update KB937287 so you could if you wish just deactivate that specific update.

I have a Dell and decided to reformat to remove all the bloatware and ever since then I've been experiencing the same problems -- most especially after the laptop needs to restart because of new software installations.  It continuously restarts with a BSOD for a second, and prompts the Safe Mode menu and none of them work.

I noticed KB937287 is the only installed update on the list that the Uninstall button seems to disappear for (everything else I can uninstall, the button is actually there to click) when I highlight KB937287 it just seems to disappear, and the right-click option doesnt work for that line item.  Does anybody have any ideas why?
    Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:12 AM
  • i cant restart my computer...

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:38 AM
  • I am replying from my MacBook since my Vaio is in a constant loop. How can microsoft not have a fix for a problem they created & leave us hanging. I cannot even restore or repair because my Vista was an upgrade.They should have pulled the SP1 as soon as the problem started
    Monday, April 14, 2008 9:19 PM
  • When I run System Restore, I get a screen that says I have no restore points.  I know this to be false because I have created several in addition to the automatic restore points.  Has anyone figured this out yet?  I've logged a request to Microsoft support??? but didn't even get a reply.  This is absolutely the LAST Microsoft product I will waste my money on.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:16 PM
  • I just brought a new labtop and boy have I had trouble with Vista.  Reading this thread, I can see that I'm not the only one.    I followed your instructions to hit F-10 upon startup and did system restore.  While there weren't any box to check, I clicked on the only option to restore to yesterday's point. 

Thank you. 

I have another problem, none of my USB works.  It will not install any of the dirvers.  Could you be of assistance.  Thanks a lot.

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Thank you,

I was able to restore back to yesterdays.

I haven't been able to get it to recognize my USBs.  It will not download any of the drivers.

I have COMMANDO for a anti-virus.  Could you be of assistance?

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:39 PM
  • 1) Insert DVD and begin the Vista setup.

2) Select language and currency format etc.. then click next.

3) Select repair my computer (or something like that) on the bottom left of the screen.

4) Select your Vista installation click next.

5) Click command prompt from the list of options.

6) Type 'ren c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml pending.bak' press enter.

7) Type 'ren c:\windows\winsxs\cleanup.xml cleanup.bak' press enter.

8)  Type 'exit' press enter.

9) Click restart.

You will now get to your login screen.

• Proposed as answer by 4thIDBRAIN Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:09 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:50 PM
  • Can someone at MS help me out here?  I've done the above steps about a month ago, and all was well, until it installed more updates and restarted... forever.

I don't have the pending.xml nor cleanup.xml, nor the two regkeys that got deleted, but it's permanently rebooting. 

Please help.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Oh, and when I try restoring from the only existing restore point, it doesn't help; it just keeps restarting.  I tried to load from hive in regedit, but Offline_Components is gone.

-J

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:10 AM
  • I tried this a month ago and it worked.  Now, my computer is doing this again, but pending.xml and cleanup.xml no longer exist.  How do I fix it now?  Please help.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:17 AM
  •  

Im having a problem where this is doing this to me now i have no backups/checkpoints and i dont have the install disk but i can boot xp from a diverent drive. Is there a file i could maybe delete from xp to get this to work?
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Hi Guys...

I was having the same problem with my Vista on updating through Automatic Updates. I manged to retrieve my Ms OS copy and repair through CD. Since then, I have disabaled the Windows Update.

Please help, if anyone hase any update on this.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Great! It works perfectly. Thanks
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:20 AM
  • what if i dont have any system restore points? :S

Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:13 AM

3) Select repair my computer (or something like that) on the bottom left of the screen.

9) Click restart.

That's the solution. You do not need a restore point. I spoke with Microsoft and that file (pending.xml) needs to be deleted.

If you don't have your Vista disk, borrow one or download a bootable ISO from the Net and burn it to a disk.

Then select via F2 or F10 (boot menu) CD/DVD as the primary startup device. Run "Command Prompt" and type in the above text.

The MS tech said he didn't know when I asked why MS was pushing out an update that causes this problem. Infuriating.

EDIT: 3 possible causes: 

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (972260)

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB973923)

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)

After performing the above fix, these updates installed with no issues.

• Proposed as answer by yurkennis Friday, January 29, 2010 7:40 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:22 PM
  • This is just rediculous... The problem's more than a year old, and windows doesn't seem to be able to fix it...

raging aside:

I have the same problem. I had it once earlier, but switching the computer off before the windows logo and running startup repair (and allowing system restore) did the trick. Now it no longer does.

It's curious really, how restoring the computer to an earlier point in time, when it didn't have these updates downloaded, doesn't stop it from "configuring" them.

I've also read these forum threads about the problem, and tried the safe mode approach. I would try the other two, but I don't have the boot DVD (conveniently they didn't mention me needing such a disk if I was to install updates "to enhance my performance"), and I'm not computer savvy enough to understand the command prompt whatnot.

Anyhow, I still get the windows logo in safe mode, and right after it (I don't even see "configuring updates - stage 3 of 3 progress 0%), in less than five seconds, it shuts down and resumes it's usual cycle.

what to do? I really wouldn't want to reformat my computer (*ahem* AGAIN *ahem*) because of stuff that's not even because of me going to the wrong sites or opening the wrong emails and getting a virus, or anything to the effect, but me just downloading the updates that the system tells me actually are more of a necessity than a burden.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 3:36 PM

9) Click restart.

That's the solution. You do not need a restore point. I spoke with Microsoft and that file (pending.xml) needs to be deleted.

I have tried this solution, and the command prompt window says 'The system cannot find the path specified.' Any other ideas? I am finding the same this with the system restore, saying it has not restore points, and i dont even think i can reformat the C drive, because nothing i've tried has woked. If anyone can tell me how to do this i would appreciate it, i'd rather have to re install everything on C than have no computer.
    • Proposed as answer by miskinboy Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:17 PM
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:34 AM
  • im having the same problem but i cant load the cd as it is in the loop
    i havent saved any of my work on back up disk either so im worried that i will lose everything .....
    can anyone help
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Win7 keeps restarting after System Restore; any restore point gives unspecified error 0x80070002

Windows 7 keeps restarting after an attempt to Startup Repair (or System Restore?) which Windows was suggesting on every restart.

After that attempt I tried to restore to any of the previous restore points, but whichever restore point I used it fails to restore with a message "An unspecified error occured during System Restore (0x80070002)" (as I found in some third-party article, this means "a file not fuond", without any further specifics).

Now on every restart Startup Repair automatically attempts to fix, but fails with an error message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer. Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions".

I can't find a way to skip Startup Repair / System Restore and get a normal boot completed.

What I already tried is:

• running Startup Repair / System Restore under Safe Mode and/or from a installation DVD
    • renaming pending.xml to pending.bak (as suggested here)--while there's no cleanup.xml anywhere to rename from

• Edited by yurkennis Friday, January 29, 2010 8:29 PM default font color
    Friday, January 29, 2010 7:44 PM
  • HERE IS THE FIX
    M$ has a page dedicated to this problem--it is too long to reprint here because it covers every contingency. Here is that page:

"Article ID: 949358 -
    The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista and Windows 7"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Basically it tells you many steps in order to get back onto your desktop, and from there to remove the update either through System Restore or other steps. Once the update is removed, it is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the last steps, to prevent the problem from happening again:

How to avoid this problem
    To avoid this problem, obtain and install update 937287 from the Microsoft Download Center separately from all other updates on the Windows Update site. Install the update that applies to your version of Windows Vista so that you can successfully install future updates.

The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

go to the bottom of the following link and click and install the download for either Vista x86 or X64
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

• Proposed as answer by Shari77 Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Okay I have tried all the solutions and advice including the one listed above from Shari77. Nothing works, period. When I try to start from my Vista OS Disk it was not allowing me to go into repair. When I hit enter it wouldn't go anywhere. It just restarted the counter that stated it would start the highlighted choice automatically. It never did. Then I try to start from the disk again and I don't even get a menu it just ignores it and continues the loop of 'Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. Do not turn off computer' then restarting over and over. I have not backed up my hard drive and fear the worst. I just bought a LaCie d2 quadra Pro Hard Disk to use as my backup if and when this is ever remedied. I too am thinking Mac if I can't get through this. I will also be at a huge loss as my business and photos are all on this computer. How dumb we are to not back up when we can. We never think the worst can happen but need to be prepared. Any solutions aside from the already mentioned would be appreciated if there are any out there. Thanks.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Thanks a lot. That works for me.
    • Proposed as answer by clownydhey Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by clownydhey Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:06 AM
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

I got the same problem since yesterday morning. I got the update stuck at stage 3 0% and keep shutting down my laptop in a looping. Probably because my pc is turned off during the updates of stage 2. Then, I ve been looking for any possible ways to fixed it. I ve tried them all. I turned off my pc manually during that looping and then turn it on again and again to see if maybe there will be any difference. Three different results: I could get to the safe mode, or to the repairing system or to the looping again.

The restore point didn't work because it says I don't have any restore point. I don't know why.. >,<..

The safe mode didn't work for a few times, but once when I was lucky I guess; I can get in to the password windows ( I don't know how you call it. I set a password for my admin users, so I gonna get this windows before I get in.) and getting on the system by safe mode. Then I managed to back up some stuffs.

I tried to uninstall the  KB937287updates (if I m not mistaken with the numbers, some people said that this might be the cause of the updates bug).But, there I couldn't find a way to do that.

What I did was trying to get to the command prompt and typed

cd c:\windows\winsxs press enter

ren pending.xml pending.old press enter

regedit press enter

exit press enter

I guess that the one that made mine works. Hope that's help. Good Luck!

Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

I got the same problem since yesterday morning. I got the update stuck at stage 3 0% and keep shutting down my laptop in a looping. Probably because my pc is turned off during the updates of stage 2. Then, I ve been looking for any possible ways to fixed it. I ve tried them all. I turned off my pc manually during that looping and then turn it on again and again to see if maybe there will be any difference. Three different results: I could get to the safe mode, or to the repairing system or to the looping again.

The restore point didn't work because it says I don't have any restore point. I don't know why.. >,<..

The safe mode didn't work for a few times, but once when I was lucky I guess; I can get in to the password windows ( I don't know how you call it. I set a password for my admin users, so I gonna get this windows before I get in.) and getting on the system by safe mode. Then I managed to back up some stuffs.

I tried to uninstall the  KB937287updates (if I m not mistaken with the numbers, some people said that this might be the cause of the updates bug).But, there I couldn't find a way to do that.

What I did was trying to get to the command prompt and typed

cd c:\windows\winsxs press enter

ren pending.xml pending.old press enter

regedit press enter

exit press enter

I guess that the one that made mine works. Hope that's help. Good Luck!

OMG it actually works!! htanks soo much!!
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:11 PM
  • I have tryed everthing this worked like a charm truned off automactic update and restored back before the problem thank you
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:31 PM