none
wireless adapter disappeared

Question

• I have dell inspiron 1526. Since i upgraded my system to windows 7 my wireless adapter disappeared normally after coming out from sleep. It usually got fixed by 1 or 2 restart. However, now i cannot get it back. It does not appear in device manager.

Things i have tried:

safe mode with networking

system restore

setting power management to maximum power

Ensure wireless is enabled in BIOS

Ensure external wireless on/off button is on

My wireless driver in broadcom 1370 WLAN it use to come in device manager as dell mini WLAN. I have tried installing new driver. I can use internet from cable or if I use external USB linksys adaptor.

Please suggest me any other things I can do to get my wireless back.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• run the hardware troubleshooter from the Action Center

Right-click on the flag in the notification area at the low right of the screen. Select troubleshoot a problem-select hardware

I didn't see that device,1370, listed as one of the wlan cards available in the driver downloads at Dell support here.

Is the device recognized in the BIOS. If not, it may have failed. If yes, it should appear in device manager as unknown device or a network adapter with a yellow bang!

Try Windows logo key + x and open the mobility center. Is a wireless connection available there?

If you do get it back, select the power management tab in the properties of the device and un-tick "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

As you may know, Dell is not supporting this computer for Win 7, so you may get some strange issues.  

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:09 AM
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi spur230,

Please first contact Dell to confirm if there is any updated driver for your wireless network adapter.

If the issue persists after the update, please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1.     Go to Start, type device manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     Expand Network adapters.

3.     Double click the wireless adapter.

4.     Click Power Management tab.

5.     Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

6.     Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi, update your drivers. You had make upgrade? So try clean install > Windows upgrade is very problematic (sometimes)..
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:37 PM
  • The driver I had was working but now when i try to install a new driver I get a message OS not supported.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:16 PM
  • run the hardware troubleshooter from the Action Center

Right-click on the flag in the notification area at the low right of the screen. Select troubleshoot a problem-select hardware

I didn't see that device,1370, listed as one of the wlan cards available in the driver downloads at Dell support here.

Is the device recognized in the BIOS. If not, it may have failed. If yes, it should appear in device manager as unknown device or a network adapter with a yellow bang!

Try Windows logo key + x and open the mobility center. Is a wireless connection available there?

If you do get it back, select the power management tab in the properties of the device and un-tick "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

As you may know, Dell is not supporting this computer for Win 7, so you may get some strange issues.  

Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi spur230,

Please first contact Dell to confirm if there is any updated driver for your wireless network adapter.

If the issue persists after the update, please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1.     Go to Start, type device manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     Expand Network adapters.

3.     Double click the wireless adapter.

4.     Click Power Management tab.

5.     Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

6.     Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Linda.  My wireless adapter is not showing up in device manager. However, it did come automatically once as dell mini WLAN 1390. However , it did not had any power management tab.  It is again gone now.

I did contact dell but I had to pay for support as I install windows 7 so I did not want their service. Currently I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 , my in-built  dell wireless seems to be working fine in Ubuntu. Also, I am using linksys wireless usb adaptor for windows 7.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:30 PM