none
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit , Install Boot From Disk Issues!

Question

• Hello , I just got the windows 7 ultimate instal disks to replace my recntly expired RC, prior to installing this , i formatted and completely erased my HDD's , NOTE: I HAVE 2 IDENTICAL HDDS RUNNING IN RAID0. Experiance from installing the RC taught me that I would need to boot from disk before installing completely , so naturally i ventured into my BIOS to change boot priority to my dvd blu-ray drive... restarting my computer now and waiting for a low res version of W7 install to pop up... I unexpectedly found a message reboot and select a proper boot device. Press a Key...

rebooting , i checked my bios , the boot device was all correct , HDDS are blank , two are in a new RAID , and everything seemed pretty clean...

Except for one thing i think may be causing the problem... you know how I said i have a blu-ray DVD drive, well in the BIOS it calls it an ATAPI cd-rom... , Ive found other windows customers asking for support with the select another boot device option, but the solution to that doesnt apply to me, putting my HDDS in IDE mode , would defeat my need of having two hdds in RAID0...

Sorry for the long droning explanation , point is thats whats happening i need information, help, advice whatever microsoft or fellow windows users can give me :D.

i will gladly clear up any facts answer any questions applying to this unfortunate problem ...
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:32 AM

Answers

• Everything recommended aside, i just swapped my older DVD reader for my blu-ray reader.. , and it installed from a boot disc setup... , i guess blu-ray is too advanced for windows , thanks for getting me thinking about this though...
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 05, 2010 7:45 AM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 6:15 AM

All replies

• Debbie,

pardon my ignorance, but I didn't understand your problem.

Is the problem that the system doesn't boot from Blueray DVD, or something else?
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:08 PM
  • I had the same problem with Intel Chipset, its more a BIOS issue (especially with AHCI enabled)
    Can you try to install Windows Through an USB Key?
    MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:12 PM
  • No problem , posting on support forums for a 13 year old isnt exactly my cup of tea. but my problem , yes , is that Windows 7  wont boot from a disk. despite the fact ive told my bios to boot from my bluray before using my hardrives.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:09 PM
  • my motherboard and proccessor  i think use intel chipsets. And im pretty sure i dont have AHCI enabled , im using RAID for my HDD's. as far as the USb goes , im trying to install the full version of windows 7 ult,64 bit , how the heck am i gonna use my 4GB usb to install that?
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Thank you guys , replies are greatly appreciated , being a 13 year old who enjoys his gaming , i really want to play again XD.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Son,

did you figure out how to install Windows from the stick?

If not, here's some info:

1. Make ISO image of your original Windows 7 DVD. You can use freeware ImgBurn.
    http://www.imgburn.com/
    Select option "Create image file from disk".

2. Download free Microsoft ISO tool here:
    http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool
    Follow the instructions from that web site.

If all is well, you will end up with a bootable 4GB stick from which you can install your Windows 7.

Happy gaming.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:46 PM
  • ok well i got my blank 4gb stick plugged in , and my 64bit dvd in the disc on this computer, but uh... one problem... I'ts a MAC :S!... so the imgburn app you suggested wont work, if i find one for mac.. it should work , but what about the actual dvd and its Iso. will that still burn and all the other steps to making a bootable usb?
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:29 PM
  • Son,

What happened to that Windows 7 RC you mentioned in your first post?

You can run ImgBurn on RC. It should still work.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Son,
    You have to set the RAID controller as the first boot device when using a RAID configuration.
    Also, you may need to have the drivers for the RAID device to add into the Windows installation. Put them on a usb  stick and point the add drivers to it.
    • Edited by Nano Warp Thursday, March 04, 2010 12:05 PM fix typos
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 05, 2010 3:33 AM
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Everything recommended aside, i just swapped my older DVD reader for my blu-ray reader.. , and it installed from a boot disc setup... , i guess blu-ray is too advanced for windows , thanks for getting me thinking about this though...
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 05, 2010 7:45 AM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 6:15 AM
  • and obviously i put my bluray back after removing it..
    Friday, March 05, 2010 6:16 AM