none
Maximum memory supported by Windows 7

Question

•  Windows XP Professional x64 edition supported up to 128GB and when it was released, some motherboards could be populated to that amount, so all was fine. Vista x64 was released and kept the same limit, even though motherboards have evolved, so even though scRGB support was offered in Vista, I just waited to see what would happen with Windows 7. A dual-processor Nehalem EP motherboard can support 288GB, and some software like Panorama Factory can handle over 128GB with no issue, as not constrained by the "famous llp64 ecosystem". WS2003 (same codebase as XP x64) had up to 2TB support but I want a workstation OS with all the associated support and task optimization (drivers, application software compatibility, etc...) Please advise. Thanks !
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• To the best of my knowledge, MS hasn't released hard numbers on this yet.
    However, my commonsense.exe says that it will, most likely, be the same as it is for Vista (same code base, after all):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista
    In other words, don't expect 2TB RAM support on a workstation OS.  Remember:  that silly-high level is reserved for only the most silly-expensive versions of Server (64-bit Datacenter and Enterprise)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, March 09, 2009 7:51 AM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• Right now the advice is ... If the system can support Vista, it can support Windows 7.  So, for now, the answer us 128 gB.  Once the official specs are released that may be modified.
    - John
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:14 PM
  • To the best of my knowledge, MS hasn't released hard numbers on this yet.
    However, my commonsense.exe says that it will, most likely, be the same as it is for Vista (same code base, after all):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista
    In other words, don't expect 2TB RAM support on a workstation OS.  Remember:  that silly-high level is reserved for only the most silly-expensive versions of Server (64-bit Datacenter and Enterprise)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, March 09, 2009 7:51 AM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Silly-high level :  about 3 hours of native Super Hi-Vision video in deep color.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:41 PM