none
Windows 7 activation limit for TechNet keys?

Question

• I recently puchased a TechNet Standard subscription and am building out a lab. I am issued two keys per edition of Windows 7, but I have read that those keys are multiple-activation keys. How many times can I activate each Win 7 key?

Also, the Server 2008 key is a "multiple activation" key. How many times can I use that one? If I wanted to build a multiple server lab network (AD, DNS, Exchange, etc), when does the key stop working?

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi. Yes MAK have activation limit.

Take a look here : FAQ about Product Activation

But based on my experience, you will be able to set your lab without worries.

And if you need to know the number of activation, you have to call the activation center. Because it depend on your subscription. They increase that number for you.

We can't tell you how much activation you have.

regards,

Blog Microsoft | Déployer Windows 7 | Améliorer les performances de Windows 7
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:57 PM
  • You can run the Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT ) to check the remaining activation limit.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Thank you, Andre. I installed VAMT on a workstation and got a lot of useful information. The Server 2008 license (MAK) has 500 activations left and the Windows 7 licenses (Retail) do not show a number.

I'm going to continue to build my lab and test. If I hit a snag, I'll contact the activation center (thank you Yannick).

Jeremy

Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:48 PM
  • I have been trying to find an answer to this question for months.  A Technet Standard subscription gets 2 license keys for each version of Windows 7.  How many activations are included per key on different computers?  It use to be 10 but I have heard that has been reduced but cannot find a solid answer from Microsoft.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:57 AM
  • I have been trying to find an answer to this question for months.  A Technet Standard subscription gets 2 license keys for each version of Windows 7.  How many activations are included per key on different computers?  It use to be 10 but I have heard that has been reduced but cannot find a solid answer from Microsoft.

Please be advised that each TechNet retail Windows 7 product key is good for up to ten activations.  Please review Ed Bott’s Report.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:22 AM