none
Resizable Start menu

General discussion

• I am NOT one of the people who want the classic Start menu in W7.

However, I think many of the complaints about the W7 Start menu could be eased by a simple change: make the Start menu resizable.

That is, the user could resize the menu vertically (and maybe horizontally?) just like any other window, and the new size would be remembered.

This would greatly reduce the amount of scrolling necessary in the All Programs section.

Obviously we know the Start menu will resize vertically, because it does so if you add enough programs into the Pinned section on the upper left.

Any thoughts?
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:39 PM

All replies

• I just found a way to resize the taskbar, although it's not very intuitive.

1. Right-click the Start button and choose Properties. It should open on the "Start Menu" tab. If not, select that tab.
    2. Click the "Customize" button.
    3. Under "Start Menu Size" (underneath the scroll box) set "Number of recent programs to display" to a higher number for a larger start menu.

I set mine to 22 and now it stretches to the top of my screen (I'm at 1280x1024 resolution).

Large Start Menu - Screenshot

If you want a smaller start menu, you can set the number to about 4 and then remove items from the right-side of the Start Menu from inside that "Customize" dialog box. Enable "small icons" also helps if you want to show 10 or more icons in a smaller Start Menu.

It would be great if 7 would let us resize the Start Menu by dragging it out, which would internally modify that number as we drag it bigger or smaller.

Edit: Added screenshot.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:26 PM
  • It would be nice if the Start Menu automatically expanded in height as the user navigates through the All Programs group. Here's a screenshot of what it might look like:

Auto-growing Start Menu - Screenshot

Any thoughts on this?
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Hector Virgen said:

3. Under "Start Menu Size" (underneath the scroll box) set "Number of recent programs to display" to a higher number for a larger start menu.

Thanks, Hector.  Yes, I was aware of this, but actually I really hate the 'Recent Programs' facility in the Start menu (because the list of programs is always changing, so you can't learn where the programs will be).

As such I always set the Recent Programs count to zero.

The only other way to make the Start menu bigger is to pin lots of programs to it, including ones you maybe don't want.

It's a bit of a kludge, really, which is why I'd like to see a resizable one.

That "auto-growing" idea of yours is interesting, though.  It might need some thinking through - arguably it breaks the usually expected behaviour of the menu - but I do think it has quite some potential.

May I suggest you send it in as formal feedback?  There's a thread in the Miscellaneous forum for that, I think.
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:46 PM
  • It would be nice if the Start Menu automatically expanded in height as the user navigates through the All Programs group. Here's a screenshot of what it might look like:

Auto-growing Start Menu - Screenshot

Any thoughts on this?
    I much rather have to be the full width of the menu like search is
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:09 PM
  • How about just automatically make the start menu expand to fill the screen vertically. And, while we're at it, get rid of the message that says all your programs can't be displayed.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:55 PM