none
MMC could not create the snap-in.

    Question

  • I'm using Windows 7 and recently updated to SP1.  Previously MMC was working fine.  I had recently installed the Blackberry Desktop Software and it crashed.  I wanted to check the logs what might have triggered/caused the software to fail, but alas, I got an error.

     

    MMC could not create the snap-in.  The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

    Name : Event Viewer

    CLSID : FX : {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

     

    Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

     

     

    Friday, December 09, 2011 10:52 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi,

    try restore your computer to date, in which everythink work.

    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:02 PM
  • I'm using Windows 7 and recently updated to SP1.  Previously MMC was working fine.  I had recently installed the Blackberry Desktop Software and it crashed.  I wanted to check the logs what might have triggered/caused the software to fail, but alas, I got an error.

     

    MMC could not create the snap-in.  The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

    Name : Event Viewer

    CLSID : FX : {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

     

    Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

     

     


    After a week or more of searching and trying everyone's suggtions of which NONE worked, I figured out the solution.

     

    I have no idea how, but somewhere along the line, my 64 bit windows system started looking in system32 for my device manager.

     

    When I found the CLSID: {74246bfc-4c96-11d0-abef-0020af6b0b7b7a} location in the the windows registry, and changed all the "system32" notations to "SysWOW64" (not including quote marks) under that CLSID, it now works perfectly.

     

    Hope this solved other people's problem as well.

     

    Jim Bentz

    j.bentz@jbentz.net

    Friday, December 30, 2011 12:32 AM
  • I just came across this issue and a few other issue related to it.  Here is what worked for me.

    Apparently the machine.config for an older version of .net that the mmc is using was updated with elements that are not recognized.  This appears to be systemServiceModel.

    Go to this location:

    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG  (may be different if you are not using 64 bit)

    Edit machine.config

    comment out the following

     

    <!--

      <system.serviceModel>

        <extensions>

          <behaviorExtensions>

            <add name="persistenceProvider" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.PersistenceProviderElement, System.WorkflowServices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

            <add name="workflowRuntime" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.WorkflowRuntimeElement, System.WorkflowServices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

            <add name="enableWebScript" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.WebScriptEnablingElement, System.ServiceModel.Web, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

            <add name="webHttp" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.WebHttpElement, System.ServiceModel.Web, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

          </behaviorExtensions>

          <bindingElementExtensions>

            <add name="webMessageEncoding" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.WebMessageEncodingElement, System.ServiceModel.Web, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

            <add name="context" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ContextBindingElementExtensionElement, System.WorkflowServices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

          </bindingElementExtensions>

          <bindingExtensions>

            <add name="wsHttpContextBinding" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.WSHttpContextBindingCollectionElement, System.WorkflowServices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

            <add name="netTcpContextBinding" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.NetTcpContextBindingCollectionElement, System.WorkflowServices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

            <add name="webHttpBinding" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.WebHttpBindingCollectionElement, System.ServiceModel.Web, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

            <add name="basicHttpContextBinding" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.BasicHttpContextBindingCollectionElement, System.WorkflowServices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>

          </bindingExtensions>

        </extensions>

        <client>

          <metadata>

            <policyImporters>

              <extension type="System.ServiceModel.Channels.ContextBindingElementImporter, system.workflowservices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL"/>

            </policyImporters>

            <wsdlImporters>

              <extension type="System.ServiceModel.Channels.ContextBindingElementImporter, system.workflowservices, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL"/>

            </wsdlImporters>

          </metadata>

        </client>

      </system.serviceModel>

      -->

     

     


    • Proposed as answer by dwp_hou Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:00 PM
    • Edited by dwp_hou Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:01 PM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:00 PM