none
Unable to leave HomeGroup (& change password)

Question

• Using Windows 7 Home Premium I am unable to leave the HomeGroup network (via the Leave the HomeGroup option) or make any changes to it such as to the password. The network is otherwise working normally. 

When I attempt to diagnose and repair this problem I get the following message...."Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol services (PNRPsvc) or the Peer Networking Identity Manager service (p2pimsvc) is not...." Another attempt following this results in Peer Networking Grouping Service isnt running. Again not fixed.

I have run scannow sfc but this does not detect any errors.

I have gone to Task Manager and stopped HomeGroup Provider without making a difference.

Thank you in anticipation on how I can repair this HomeGroup service.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you remove the idstore.sst file from the following location first:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

After that, please try to leave HomeGroup and verify the relevant service again. If the issue persists, please refer to the following article:

Can't start Peer Name Resolution Protocol

Thanks,
    Novak
    • Marked as answer by Remco1 Monday, February 08, 2010 8:43 AM
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you remove the idstore.sst file from the following location first:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

After that, please try to leave HomeGroup and verify the relevant service again. If the issue persists, please refer to the following article:

Can't start Peer Name Resolution Protocol

Thanks,
    Novak
    • Marked as answer by Remco1 Monday, February 08, 2010 8:43 AM
    Monday, February 08, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Thank you Novak. 

FIXED by removing that idstore.sst file. 

Nice to receive such a professional and prompt response.

Remco
    Monday, February 08, 2010 8:46 AM
  • I did all these steps and I still cannot either display password, or leave password!  HELP!
    Monday, November 08, 2010 10:26 PM
  • I mean leave homegroup...I have also gone into services and tried to start a few of the peer service and it still doesnt work.  Keep getting errors
    Monday, November 08, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Well done, an easy fix. Once you know how it's done.  Thanks.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 2:38 PM
  • but Novak, I appreciate your help and others are finding it works. But, unfortunately it does not work for me.

I followed it step by step as you have written. The directory Peer Networking come up empty, meaning idstore.sst does not exist

in my machine.

In another area you have said step by step how to change the registry to have IPv6 record. I did that, still Peer netwroking Grouping and its dependencies do not start. I am at a wits end. So frustrated, I am about to throw this laptop out the window....!!! (jus' kiddin')

Friday, December 09, 2011 5:53 AM
  • I am having the same issue, I am able find the localservice file, but there is no AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst, in the localservice file.  If I cannot find the idstore file than I cannot delete it.  What should I do now?
    Monday, February 06, 2012 8:14 AM
  • @mazedoc: The AppData folder is hidden. If you paste the location ( %systemroot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking ) into a folder's address bar, you can get there.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:49 AM
  • I have also tried everything on this post but still unable to leave home group. Do you have any other suggestions
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:05 PM
  • I know this is an older post but these solutions dont work for me as the service that is not working and I am assuming causing the problem is "HomeGroup Listener" with the error 1068 all three "peer" services are running no problem but I have the same simptoms as the others Can't leave the homegroup cant see the password and cant change any settings related to the homegroup in any way as they just revert when you close the window also if I try to stop the homegroup provider it restarts instantly. Please help as I dont feel like buying a new pc when I curb stomp this one.

Monday, January 14, 2013 10:21 PM
  • I have the same issue - HomeGroup Listener won't start.  Can't find any help here.  Any new suggestions?
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:28 AM
  • I too have the problem - HomeGroup Listener won't start, however, I realize this post is for those that cannot leave the HomeGroup, I cannot join the HomeGroup, have tried the steps mentioned and just upgraded from win 7 to win 8.1 problem persists. I welcome any further advice/suggestions.
    • Edited by TimSerious Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:41 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:39 AM