none
Windows Explorer has stopped working

Question

• I turned on the computer today( Compaq Presario Windows 7 home edition) , and when i selected (my) account, i could do anything on the computer. The sign popped up saying windows explorer has stopped working and when i click on "find solution", it refreshes the computer and it repeats itself. I cant even access the start button. As i said, it happens on my account but does not happen on the guest account. Because i couldn't access anything, i couldn't scan it normally so i performed a boot time scan, and it deleted all viruses, but i still face the same problem.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:14 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Mike's suggestion is a good one.  On the off chance you don't have the HP/Compaq restore DVD, you can also run 'sfc' in Safe mode.  (HP/Compaq have a habit of charging up to $40 for the restore media, and more often than not people opt to not get it, which can put the owners in an unpleasant situation!)

Another idea may be to perform a Clean Boot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us) but, that all depends on what you can do when you're in the Windows environment.  Try this

1. Login to Windows
    2. Launch the Task Manager by hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL & clicking 'Start Task Manager' or pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC (this shoudl launch it immediately)
    3. Once launched, try clicking on 'File' and selecting 'New Task (Run...)'
    4. If the run box loads, type the following & click OK: msconfig
    5. If it runs, follow the instructions in the link above

Lastly, for my own curiosity, and to help us get you in the right direction:

1. What Anti-Virus protection do you have? (Microsoft Security Essentials, Norton, Sophos, Avira, AVG, Panda etc?)
    2. Does this include any anti-malware (adware/spyware etc) protection? (If you don't know, that's ok!)
    3. When you ran your [anti-virus] boot time scan, do you recall what kind of viruses it said it found & cleaned? (This will help us try to identify or verify whether or not this damage was done by the virus, and how we can go about fixing it)

• Edited by JuliusPIV Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:39 PM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you could try to restore your system to the previous point.(control panel-> backup and restore->system restore)

If the issue persists, you may perform Clean Boot for a test. Meanwhile, I suggest you run “sfc /scannow” (without quotes) to repair system files.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue still persists, you’d better perform In-Place Upgrade.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Friday, April 06, 2012 8:15 AM
  • @ JuliusPIV Thanks.

1. I ran Avast antivirus

2. No, it doesn't include any anti-malware protection.

3. I can't seem to remember the virus it found, but i was the same virus that it found so many times.

Friday, April 06, 2012 1:21 PM
  • Thanks, i will try that as an option.
    Friday, April 06, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Thanks, but how can i get to the control panel, because i can't seem to get anywhere. Its like nothing is accessible even though i can see it.
    Friday, April 06, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Thanks, but how can i get to the control panel, because i can't seem to get anywhere. Its like nothing is accessible even though i can see it.

Ivan-Lui's process is correct, but the assumption is that you can get to the Control Panel.  In your case it seems like doing just about anything causes Explorer to crash, which would include trying to get to the Control Panel.

So if you have the Windows media (boot DVD), you should be able to perform a system restore from there.  Follow the instructions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7.  In summary the process looks like this:

1. Pop in your DVD & boot from the CD/DVD drive (press a key when prompted to boot from the DVD)
    2. Eventually the Windows setup environment will load
    3. You may have to choose your language & click next
    4. Click Repair your computer (in the bottom left area)
    5. View the video 'Fixing a Problem Using System Restore' to get an idea on how to navigate through the System Restore screen.

3. I can't seem to remember the virus it found, but i was the same virus that it found so many times.

I don't want to have you spend more time scanning, but if you find yourself running another AV scan in the near future, if possible, try to jot down the names of the virus(es).  Lets focus on trying to get your machine working first!

Let us know if we can help.

Additional Resources:

• Marked as answer by elvispaada Friday, April 06, 2012 8:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by elvispaada Sunday, April 08, 2012 3:58 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 4:07 PM
  • @JULIUSPIV, i ran it in safemode and when i opened my account, still had the same problem. when i pressed f8 at the start up, it gave me an option to restore my system from some point in time, and i still had the same problem, so i will get the windows cd and i will see how it  goes.
    Friday, April 06, 2012 8:33 PM
  • @JuliusPIV my cousin had my installation DVD and he is on a trip so i am waiting to get it back from him, but in the mean time, i was looking at the history of my previous scan and the name of the particular virus it found was " PUP:Win32:FunWeb-K [PUP] "

Sunday, April 08, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

You can follow this kb and see if it helps in fixing the issue : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2694911

Sanket. J Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 09, 2012 3:17 AM
  • @JuliusPIV my cousin had my installation DVD and he is on a trip so i am waiting to get it back from him, but in the mean time, i was looking at the history of my previous scan and the name of the particular virus it found was " PUP:Win32:FunWeb-K [PUP] "

Depending on how long your cousin will be out, you may want to consider another avenue.  Microsoft offers 90-Day Trial evaluations of Windows 7 Enterprise edition.  See below

A bit of warning though: You do NOT want to perform an upgrade installation, repair installation or new installation using this process!  I'm only mentioning it because you should be able to do some maintenance on that machine using the DVD.

I'll let someone correct me, but I'm under the impression that even though this is a trial DVD, for Windows 7 Enterprise, it will be sufficient to perform a system restore.  Make sure to download the proper version:

• x86 = 32-bit
    • x64 = 64-bit

Burn the .ISO file onto a DVD (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file) and follow the instructions a few posts above to perform the system restore.

WARNING: Do *NOT* perform a repair installation, upgrade installation, or new installation using that new DVD!

Monday, April 09, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the below methods

Method1:

Go to the Start button.

In the Search box, type “regedit” (without quotes) and press Enter.

Browse the following registry key: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions”.

On the right window pane, delete the subkey: “Machine Throttling”.

Reboot your computer.

Method 2:

In Administrator mode, At the command prompt, type “chkdsk /r /f” (without quotes) and press Enter. Restart the System.

Method 3:

Incompatible Drivers installed while updating the Sound Card,Graphics Card, LAN Drivers etc. So Roll back the driver that you installed recently.It may also happen due to old drivers. Go the official download page for the respective hardware  to get the driver updated.

Method 4 :

Press the key combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.

Type gpedit.msc in the Run dialog and press Enter.

In the Local Group Policy Editor navigate to

Computer Configuration Administrative Templates System Internet Communication Management Internet Communication Settings.

You would find a setting on the right hand side pane — Turn Off Windows Customer Experience Improvement program

Double-click on this setting and choose Enabled and then click OK.

Close the Local Group Policy Editor windows

Regards Jinish.K.G|HCL Infosystems LTD

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:41 AM