none
How to change default fonts in windows 8.1?

Question

• i tried make it by windows 7 way
    1. turn off ClearType
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
    "Segoe UI (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
    "Segoe UI"="Tahoma"

default settings:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
    "Segoe UI (TrueType)"="segoeui.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="segoeuib.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuii.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuiz.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"="seguisb.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"="segoeuil.ttf"
    "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"="seguisym.ttf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
    "Segoe UI"=-

5. reboot
    Done, now all fonts in window without ClearType and used that we indicated.
    But in metro it's not work cuz some of elements is buged and changed to squares
    There are some programs like http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/09/windows8/change-the-default-font-in-windows-8-windows-8-font-changer.html in internet. But how i see it's don't change all fonts.

How to cahnge all fon'ts in windows 8.1 to Tahoma 8 for example?
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I'm afraid there is no method to change all fonts in Windows 8. In additional, changing registry may cause system un-stable. It is not recommend doing that. 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:32 PM
  • You fail. When the choice is no way or attempt something that could make the system unstable guess what gets done. Sooner or later someone will come up with a binary patch to fix it and MS will have no place to complain because they would not.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 8:48 PM
  • That is totally unacceptable. This is supposed to be a better program than Win 8. So far for me it's been a total nightmare.
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 1:04 PM
  • This is supposed to be a better program than Win 8.

Did someone from Microsoft Marketing tell you that?  Maybe a fanboy?  :)

In all seriousness it's not better in any obvious way than Win 8, nor is it really any better than Win 7.  It can be tweaked to be just about as good.  And to be fair, it's stable.

I mean yes, we all expected Win 8.1 to be better than its predecessors - software releases are supposed to give you some value, some good reason to upgrade - but that kind of goes away when the software maker feels they have a captive audience as Microsoft does, and especially when they still have plenty of businesses buying Win 7, which pays their bills.

But like it or not, removed choices or not, apparently Windows 8 is here to stay.  Joshua up above says "You fail", but have they really?  Once you're patching it up to make it usable they've already got your license fee, and your alternatives to running Windows are what, exactly?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, January 05, 2014 1:41 PM
  • @Noal

funny how you experess patching it up, as a vendor I'm not allowed to sell or install an OS, with these patch. I cant even update the OS with preinstalled OS other then the MB bios.

• Edited by colakid Sunday, January 05, 2014 4:33 PM
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 4:32 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand your point.  No one can keep an end user from customizing their system. That's why I've published a how-to guide.

-Noel

Sunday, January 05, 2014 5:25 PM
  • that is true but that customizing has to be in the terms of the license.

attempt to circumvent technical protection measures in the software, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software. If I sell a computer, I cannot sell the computer to anyone where the software has been customized. This is violating vendors agreement for most retailers, this voids hardware warranties and the OS. Remember we only own the Key to install, we do not own the OS. What you do is your business. I cannot sell from our company any system where I install software for customization of the operating system.

• Edited by colakid Sunday, January 05, 2014 5:59 PM
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Thanks max for the reference

This is not what I'm getting at. I know OEM are allowed to customize the automated process of installs. Dell and more. We are not allowed to do a thing to that software. The OS has to be in its original state upon sales. This is the agreement with our suppliers it is also our policy that the staff cannot install anything other then the customers request, for example, Office, generally we stay away from setting up software.

For me to actually supply computers with integrated menus in windows, I need that approved  through Microsoft, I do not have the right to do this. I am allowed to customize the install of windows to automate the process.

Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:02 PM
  • So...  Would you like to negotiate a deal to supply a good book with each installation?  You wouldn't be the first.  Contact me offline.

No changes to settings or installation of 3rd party software by the end user violates any agreements.

-Noel

Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Company selling computers supplied from manufactures, installation of 3rd party software from the company selling these devices, violates agreements. Microsoft approved software with a license or approved through the manufacture is all we are allowed to install for retail sales. If you buy the system you can do whatever you wish providing it is within the license agreement of MS or the warranty or the manufacture.

Parrt of HP license agreement

All software from HP is provided according to license restrictions. The HP Enterprise End User License Agreement (“EULA”) governs the use of HP enterprise software, unless it is subject to a separate agreement between you and Hewlett-Packard Company and its subsidiaries. In addition to either the EULA or such separate agreement, software is subject to the following software license information, including Additional License Authorizations (ALAs) and open source and 3rd party license terms.

• Edited by colakid Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:04 PM
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 10:55 PM
  • You may not distribute

the OPK and Preinstallation Tools to the end user.

In addition, you may use the Preinstallation Tools

we make available to you for preinstalling the

software in accordance with the OPK..

“Preinstallation Tools” means the Express Deployment

Tool made available to you at www.microsoft.com/

oem/opk, and any utilities and tools for preinstalling

the software made available to you in the Pack.

f. “System Builder” means an original equipment

manufacturer, an assembler, a refurbisher, or a

software preinstaller that sells the Customer System(s)

to a third party.

Do you think what you say is going to change our company policy and risk a chance of being sued.

• Edited by colakid Monday, January 06, 2014 9:53 AM
    Monday, January 06, 2014 9:49 AM
  • ColaKid, what's the point YOU'RE trying to make here?  Somehow the original stimulus that got you talking about something unrelated to the thread subject never came across in your writing.  Sorry if I'm being dense.

In order to try to contribute something more to the actual theme of this thread...

What I do is to load a set of values I've crafted into the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics] registry key.  This gives me the fonts I like, and settings that cannot be achieved directly with the Windows 8.1 control panel.

In that list of values are settings for CaptionFont, IconFont, MenuFont, MessageFont, SmCaptionFont, and StatusFont.

-Noel

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Thank you guys so much for helping to clear up this topic with off topic gab!
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 2:35 PM
  • What, -RDub, you saw the answer in the very first response, right?  The one with the blue checkmark.

Microsoft doesn't WANT you to use your own font.

There IS no method to clear up this topic outside of hacking, which was also described herein by yours truly.

What do you want, a present with pretty giftwrapping?

-Noel

Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:19 PM