none
Automatic screenshot to file using Snipping Tool?

Question

• Is it possible to use the Snipping Tool to automatically save a screenshot to file on regular intervals?  Are there command line parameters that can be used to launch the executable that will take a screenshot and save it to a file?  If so, I believe I can schedule it in Task Manager to run every 60 seconds.

If there is a better (nearly free) tool out there to accomplish this, please let me know.  I have a Win7 desktop system that displays multiple webcam images.  I would like to capture that screenshot and, ultimately, email that file through Outlook.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi

You can start the snipping tool from a command line ( snippingtool ) but beyond this, I don't see any commands that could actually operate the program to capture and save the capture.

There are some freeware command line screen capture programs, but I have never tried any of these.

Use your favorite search engine to locate these.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:07 AM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:21 AM
  • It seems there is no command to do capture a screenshot automatically in Windows 7. To do so, I think it's better to use a third party software to achieve this function. Please search it on the internet and you will find a lot of this kind of tools for Windows 7. J

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 09, 2010 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can start the snipping tool from a command line ( snippingtool ) but beyond this, I don't see any commands that could actually operate the program to capture and save the capture.

There are some freeware command line screen capture programs, but I have never tried any of these.

Use your favorite search engine to locate these.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:21 AM
  • It seems there is no command to do capture a screenshot automatically in Windows 7. To do so, I think it's better to use a third party software to achieve this function. Please search it on the internet and you will find a lot of this kind of tools for Windows 7. J

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 09, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Is it possible to use the Snipping Tool to automatically save a screenshot to file on regular intervals?  Are there command line parameters that can be used to launch the executable that will take a screenshot and save it to a file?  If so, I believe I can schedule it in Task Manager to run every 60 seconds.

If there is a better (nearly free) tool out there to accomplish this, please let me know.  I have a Win7 desktop system that displays multiple webcam images.  I would like to capture that screenshot and, ultimately, email that file through Outlook.

Thanks!

OK - I am trying to open a stack of files that don't have previews and create large thumnails of them.

So can we use DOS to do a simple printscreen? And then maybe another command to crop it? And then maybe another command to save it as an imagefile (png/jpg)? And another to name  it?

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Can we convert this feedback to the next snippingtool.exe?

For example, I see below usages are extremely useful for me,

snippingtool.exe -url=http://www.contoso.com/reports

snippingtool.exe -cmd=notepad.exe mydata.txt

Michael Tan

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:19 PM
  • follow the steps

Download Nircmd.exe and paste into c:/Windows/System32
    Then make a bat file and paste the below script

@ echo off
    Nircmd.exe savescreenshot "C:\Users\user6\Desktop\Screenshot.jpg"

Thanks.

Kishore Suthar

• Edited by Kishore88 Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:24 AM writing mistake
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:24 AM
  • I would love to be able to pull up the snipping tool and have it take a screen shot of a particular webpage, as it's a webpage of women's shoemaker Nine West. When i click on a shoe to look at, it's enlarged in a box, and below the box are thumbnails of the shoe at different angles.  You simply click on each thumbnail, and you get an enlarged look at the shoe at different angles.   I wanna be able to have the snipping tool make snips of each angle of the shoe and save them to disk.  Your post was back in 2010.  Have you discovered any solution to what you wanted to do back then? Lemme know. 

Sunday, July 13, 2014 4:30 AM
  • I understand that this is a year late but, I just stumbled across this....

There is no way to do this with the snipping tool.

You can just right click the select the picture with left mouse click and then right click and  select "Save Picture As"

You could also use the PSR (problem step recorder) tool that records your screen as you click around.

Again the PSR records the whole screen and highlights what you click on but you end up saving the recording as a web page not single pictures. So you'd end up have to crop out manually. For your efforts the "Save Picture As" is your option for now.
    • Edited by DLT3 Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:41 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Try the freeware program Irfan View.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, August 30, 2014 2:28 AM