none
Automatic screenshot to file using Snipping Tool?

Question

• Is it possible to use the Snipping Tool to automatically save a screenshot to file on regular intervals?  Are there command line parameters that can be used to launch the executable that will take a screenshot and save it to a file?  If so, I believe I can schedule it in Task Manager to run every 60 seconds.

If there is a better (nearly free) tool out there to accomplish this, please let me know.  I have a Win7 desktop system that displays multiple webcam images.  I would like to capture that screenshot and, ultimately, email that file through Outlook.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi

You can start the snipping tool from a command line ( snippingtool ) but beyond this, I don't see any commands that could actually operate the program to capture and save the capture.

There are some freeware command line screen capture programs, but I have never tried any of these.

Use your favorite search engine to locate these.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:07 AM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:21 AM
  • It seems there is no command to do capture a screenshot automatically in Windows 7. To do so, I think it's better to use a third party software to achieve this function. Please search it on the internet and you will find a lot of this kind of tools for Windows 7. J

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 09, 2010 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can start the snipping tool from a command line ( snippingtool ) but beyond this, I don't see any commands that could actually operate the program to capture and save the capture.

There are some freeware command line screen capture programs, but I have never tried any of these.

Use your favorite search engine to locate these.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:21 AM
  • It seems there is no command to do capture a screenshot automatically in Windows 7. To do so, I think it's better to use a third party software to achieve this function. Please search it on the internet and you will find a lot of this kind of tools for Windows 7. J

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 09, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Is it possible to use the Snipping Tool to automatically save a screenshot to file on regular intervals?  Are there command line parameters that can be used to launch the executable that will take a screenshot and save it to a file?  If so, I believe I can schedule it in Task Manager to run every 60 seconds.

If there is a better (nearly free) tool out there to accomplish this, please let me know.  I have a Win7 desktop system that displays multiple webcam images.  I would like to capture that screenshot and, ultimately, email that file through Outlook.

Thanks!

OK - I am trying to open a stack of files that don't have previews and create large thumnails of them.

So can we use DOS to do a simple printscreen? And then maybe another command to crop it? And then maybe another command to save it as an imagefile (png/jpg)? And another to name  it?

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Can we convert this feedback to the next snippingtool.exe?

For example, I see below usages are extremely useful for me,

snippingtool.exe -url=http://www.contoso.com/reports

snippingtool.exe -cmd=notepad.exe mydata.txt

Michael Tan

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:19 PM
  • follow the steps

Download Nircmd.exe and paste into c:/Windows/System32
    Then make a bat file and paste the below script

@ echo off
    Nircmd.exe savescreenshot "C:\Users\user6\Desktop\Screenshot.jpg"

Thanks.

Kishore Suthar