none
Unable to access Windows Update website from Windows XP SP3

Question

• We recently started having problems updating our Windows XP SP3 PCs. So, as a test case, I downloaded the “Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (x86) - CD VL (English)” cd from MSDN. Checked the SHA hash and it’s the correct value

D:\tools>fciv -sha1 \downloads\en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso
    //
    // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
    //
    66ac289ae27724c5ae17139227cbe78c01eefe40 \downloads\en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso

I then installed this CD on a new VM, using our company VL key, and using the standard options. After the install the System Properties says "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3"

But then, if I open IE6, go to the menu Tools->Windows Update, I get redirected to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281 telling me that I don’t have the latest service pack.

I then followed the directions from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/ac5e5a4b-e6ee-4c76-857f-b75e87d5bf22

• Downloaded http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe installed it with the /wuforce option, rebooted. Still got the above error.
    • Registered all the DLLs in Suggestion 2, still got the above error.
    • Did the MSIexec /unregister and /regserver, still got the error.

I then had a look into Add/Remove programs whether Windows Installer 3.1 was installed, but the list was completely empty, even with “Show updates” checked. If I do a “wmic product” only “WebFldrs XP” is installed on the PC.

But if I try to installed Windows Installer 3.1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en it tells me that the Service Pack of the system is newer than the update I’m trying to apply and that there is no need to install it.

After all this, the Windows Update website still refuses to load. Downloading updates through the Automatic Updates in the control panel works, but after the PC is joined to the domain that method is disabled and we occasionally need to update single PCs over the web to diagnose problems. It seems that this is a relatively recent change, as recently as a few weeks ago all of this worked perfectly. Does anyone know what might be the reason for this problem?

Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:07 PM

Answers

• So I installed on a non-vPro machine and get the same result using IE6. However, now if I update to IE7 and then install WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

It works! Interestingly enough, it seems to be working on the other machines as well (after updating to IE7 and installing the UpdateAgent). If I did not know other people were having this issue, I'd think I was crazy. This has been driving me up a wall since yesterday. Seems to be working for now though. Get your updates while you can : )

• Proposed as answer by saldrich70 Saturday, August 06, 2011 4:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by athmanb Monday, August 08, 2011 8:20 AM
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:43 PM

All replies

• I can confirm that we are experiencing the exact same issue. I have also tried all of the above steps with the same result. I did find that on some machines (mostly older ones) will update after installing IE7. This does not work on all machines even if IE8 is installed. Because I have run out of options, I even tried a reinstall of SP3, but it still does not resolve the issue.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I am also experiencing this issue with a XP SP3 laptop. Updates were working fine until yesterday (8/3/2011) afternoon. Then suddenly stopped. After two fresh installs I am still having the issue, getting dumped to KB 943144 when trying to go to Windows Update. However, automatic updates still downloads the updates. Very odd. I too am using a volume license XP Pro SP3 install disk from MSDN, same version of Windows listed, "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3". The install is on a Lenovo W520 i7-2720QM 2.20 GHz and 8 GB RAM.

Saldrich mention the older machines with IE 7 can get updates. Any chance newer hardware is triggering this?
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:15 PM
  • The two machines that I know it is happening on have Intel vPro processors. I also have a non-vPro machine I need to build an image for, I will try that and get back.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:18 PM
  • So I installed on a non-vPro machine and get the same result using IE6. However, now if I update to IE7 and then install WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe from here:

It works! Interestingly enough, it seems to be working on the other machines as well (after updating to IE7 and installing the UpdateAgent). If I did not know other people were having this issue, I'd think I was crazy. This has been driving me up a wall since yesterday. Seems to be working for now though. Get your updates while you can : )

• Proposed as answer by saldrich70 Saturday, August 06, 2011 4:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by athmanb Monday, August 08, 2011 8:20 AM
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:43 PM
  • So odd. I last left off with a fresh install and the only change was installing IE 7 and it still failed. After reading your post about installing IE 7 and then the Windows Update Agent I went to install the kb 949104. To verify that it worked or not I tried Windows Update again before installing the agent to see a before and after. Magically Windows Update is working again, and with out installing the agent. So bizarre and I lost a day for getting this laptop out.

Its possible that the issue with the update services on MS's side just fixed themselves.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Having the same issue. Have a set up CD's with SP3 slipstreamed into them, I've been using it for a couple of weeks to set up a crop of new PC's. Today, every PC I install XP on is giving this KB message when I hit Windows update. Attempted to use IE8, attempted the installer install, tried reinstalling SP3, tried resetting automatic updates service (per another forum post). No success. 
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I'm in the same boat.  Last time this happened, I reinstalled the SP3 from an install I had on my network. I was able to get to Windows Update then.  But I don't want to have to do that for the 6 images I'm building...

edit:  Turned on windows update ... notify before downloading.... 1 came through. Downloaded / installed... and now I'm notified that about 30 more are available.  I'd much rather use the site though.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 7:42 PM
  • I am also having this same problem. I just reinstalled XP Pro SP3 on  Dell system, using the Dell media, and it is something I have done hundreds of times before. Same problem - trying to access Windows Update to get the whole slew of updates needed on this computer ends up in a redirect to KB2497281. The Automatic Updates would work, but not the website. I tried the IE8 idea first thing, and still, same thing. I tried the Update Agent from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104 as well. This did indeed seem to fix the problem and I could get updates.

Looks like they broke something...

j5
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I too have been having this problem. I was rebuilding a Dell system yesterday and used the Dell Windows SP3 version CD to install as I have MANY times before. Got the redirect to KB949104. I performed the Auto FixIt still broken. Then I applied SP3 over the SP3 install and then I could run updates. Today I have another system to rebuild and same problem. I tried the process that worked yesterday and it did NOT work on this system. I called Dell since this is the OEM version of Windows not supported by Microsoft. Dell confirms the issue but they know of no fix for it. I just tried installing a clean copy of SP2 and then applied SP3 to it and that did not work. I tried the lastest updater fix but I haven't tried IE7 and then the updater. Maybe that will work as it has for some people.  Obviously Microsoft has tightned up the update process and they only want to support the latest service packs for 2000, 2003, and XP. Vista? Whatever they did, it has created an issue because it can't tell a valid SP3 already installed.  I wonder if you manually went to MS-Update and tried to apply updates if that would work. Maybe it is just their filter that is broken and not the actual update process. Since it works with the auto updates.
    Friday, August 05, 2011 12:00 AM
  • I tried to go to both Windows Update and Microsoft Update directly and received the same redirection. This afternoon I rebuilt a system with the Dell OEM XP SP3 CD and although I did expereince the issue again, after installing IE7 and the Update Agent in KB949104 and it is working. Something else to note, I did find other Update Agent references, but the only one that actually worked was the one at the link above. So either the bug has been fixed or there is a specific Update Agent that does the trick.

Good Luck

Friday, August 05, 2011 1:11 AM
  • 2 of the computers I was setting up were left on last night, and they picked up updates through Automatic Updates. After 99 updates each, one which I had reinstalled SP3 can get to the update site. The other still gets the error.

This is quite frustrating. It really kills my workflow if I cant update through the site, and have to depend on the automatic to go out and get them.

Friday, August 05, 2011 1:16 PM
  • This seems to work. I am using Dell OEM Windows SP3. I install this on the workstation and get the network drivers going. Do NOT join the Domain, stay in workgroup mode. Go to windows update and get shunted to the Support page. Scroll down and run one of the automated "Fix It" options. It is still broken after this. Then download and SAVE the SP3 update so you won't have to keep downloading it. I run the SP3 update on top of the SP3 install and reboot.  After this update works. I have done this on three systems and it seems to work consistently. I don't know if this is a permanent fix as once a system is updated, we disable and lock down auto updates so I don't care about further updates.  We only do them when we rebuild a system or to fix a specific problem. Once you are all done updating, you can join the domain if you need to. - Greg
    Friday, August 05, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Just adding my "me too" to this discussion.  Rebuilding an older HP DC5800 SFF, installed sp3 and IE8, redirected away from Windows Update.  I tried everything mentioned elsewhere including reinstalling sp3 and the update agent, still no luck.

Is this Microsoft's way of wean us off of XP or force us to use autoupdates?

Wish Microsoft would make a statement about this one way or another.

Linn

P.S. Interesting how my old computer, HP DC5000 Windows XP Pro sp3 attached to Windows Domain, installed in 2005 never rebuilt, attaches to Windows Updates fine still.

Friday, August 05, 2011 10:29 PM
  • As far as I can tell it is a recent phenomenon. I have an image I built from scratch about a month ago that has no issues. It seems to be the initial contact with Windows Update that is at issue. I also noticed that after installing the Update Agent, I do not get the initial prompt to install the latest updating software. Maybe the issue is with the initial check for update software, since the system is new and does not have it, it fails and the check that used to occur is not properly working?
    Friday, August 05, 2011 10:42 PM
  • Wow! I've been freaking out for two days! Then I put in the below URL in Google and came here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281

That is where MS Updates is redirecting. Someone needs to call to call and find out what is up!

Is MS forcing Auto Udates on everyone or forcing everyone to reinstall SP3?

I'm puzzeled by all this. I make a living from reinstalling Windows. Someone call 911!

Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Wow! I've been freaking out for two days! Then I put in the below URL in Google and came here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281

That is where MS Updates is redirecting. Someone needs to call to call and find out what is up!

Is MS forcing Auto Udates on everyone or forcing everyone to reinstall SP3?

Also can't install updates from the "custom" list, ie Media Player 11, Silverlight, etc...

I'm puzzeled by all this. I make a living from reinstalling Windows. Someone call 911!

• Proposed as answer by PimpUigi Saturday, August 06, 2011 11:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by PimpUigi Saturday, August 06, 2011 11:06 AM
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:50 AM
  • OK guys, this was bugging me all day.

No "Fix it for me" worked, reinstall didn't work, re-install sp3 over and over didn't work...long story short, nothing was working.

Then, I put automatic updates to "notify me before downloading" and it let me get about 100 updates.
    Still wouldn't let me on the site however. So I installed .net Framework 4.0

This let the .net framework updates and more come down, and NOW I am able to get on the site.

Please check and confirm if this fixes the problem for you guys.

• Proposed as answer by PimpUigi Saturday, August 06, 2011 12:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by athmanb Monday, August 08, 2011 8:03 AM
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:44 PM
  • This worked for me.  Thank you to the intrepid one who found the fix!

I was installing a Dell-flavored WinXP MCE when I bumped into this problem.  Ran the WUAgent and was immediately able to access both Windows Update and Microsoft Update (thru IE7).

udaman, Saldrich70!

Sunday, August 07, 2011 7:30 AM
  • I want to thank Saldrich70 and giZmo350 for the help and everyone else for starting this discussion about windows update not working.

I've got 6 Dell Inspiron 1525 laptops that I've just done clean installs with the DELL FACTORY INSTALL DISCS that came with the laptops.  These discs were Windows XP Professional with SP3 .  The REAL thing, not copied or slipstreamed.    I did the installs and everything works ---- EXCEPT WINDOWS UPDATE - all you get is the KB article about updating your operating system.

Well, i've been looking and googling for about 2 hrs and finally got the right thing in google and found this thread.  I read the info, then googled the update file and found that it had been updated. The link shows "windowsupdateagent20-x86.exe   However, when I googled the update file by itself, it had been updated to windowsupdateagent30.   The complete link for the windowsupdateagent page if you need a different version of the file is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

I downloaded the file from http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe  I ran the file with the '/wuforce' option and rebooted the laptop and clicked on windows update and everything works. All 6 laptops are now downloading all the update files after SP3 as I type. 

Thank god google got me here.  I could see all hell to pay if I didn't have these laptops up and running for monday morning. Well, I guess we have to thank 'mickeySOFT' for this screwup?  BUT, what is the problem, is it the UPDATED update file or did MS update the windows update site and screw up everything by telling people that they have to have the latest updates----- when we already had them??  go figure...

Anyway, thanks again for your help, you pulled it out of the fire,,

Bob

Northern California

Sunday, August 07, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Workaround Found!

It is clear that Microsoft changed something last week that is preventing Windows Update from working on new installations of Windows XP SP3. After attempting dozens of installations, each time installing Windows in a slightly different manner, I think I found a workaround. During installation you are asked if you want to protect your computer by turning on Windows Update. Most of us, I assume, select NO to that option so that we can manually install the initial updates and then turn on automatic updates later. That is apparently where the problem comes in. If you choose to turn on Windows Update during the installation process, then you can launch Windows Update after Windows completes the installation process without being redirected to the KB article. Thank you Microsoft for messing up something that has been working fine for years.  I would imagine this glitch has caused thousands of wasted man hours for countless technicians around the world. Hopefully someone at Microsoft will figure out the problem and put things back the way they were before.

Eddie Stevens
    Cleveland Computer, Inc.
    440-886-1888

Monday, August 08, 2011 7:00 AM

It seems like there's two Windows Update Agents 3.0 around that are linked in different KB articles

There's a version 6.1.22.4 one that is 5.85 MB big, that one doesn't work.

There's a version 6.2.29.0 that is 6.46 MB big, that one seems to work.

The second one can be downloaded from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Install it with "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86 /quiet", the /wuforce isn't needed as it's really a proper update. Neither is a restart nor IE7. After that, the Windows Update website works again.

Monday, August 08, 2011 8:08 AM
  • saldrigh70's approach worked for me too, difference is I have IE8 installed.  But once I installed the latest Windows Update Agent my system started talking to Windows Updates.  I've only had the problem with one system so far though.

Thanks,

Linn

Monday, August 08, 2011 12:45 PM
  • make sure you clean up your temp files and cookies with ccleaner or clean up.

That will fix it if you have tried everything above and it still doesn't work. ;)

Monday, August 08, 2011 7:58 PM
  • I'm here at work on Saturday because of this! I have already started another clean install on Optiplex 990. This will be the 7th or 8th try for me. I am going to try turning on Windows Update during the install to see if this works for me. I have downloaded the windows update agent just in case. I was beginning to feel like I didn't know how to do my job anymore!

Thanks everyone. I'll post what happens.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:33 PM
  • I'm here at work on Saturday because of this! I have already started another clean install on Optiplex 990. This will be the 7th or 8th try for me. I am going to try turning on Windows Update during the install to see if this works for me. I have downloaded the windows update agent just in case. I was beginning to feel like I didn't know how to do my job anymore!

Thanks everyone. I'll post what happens.

Update, it works! Thanks!
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi Guys (and girls if there are any?)

I had this issue last week on a toshiba laptop i had to reload.

The restore disk I have provided by Toshiba is a slipstreamed XP Pro SP3.

Having trawled the internet for the update problem I found that the answer was to re-install the windows update agent on the laptop.

I tried several different resolutions provided by microsoft however none seened to work.

i kept getting an error when installing the agent saying it wasn't a valid 32bit application.

This moning however I had a result when i found this artical.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/markd/archive/2008/05/09/windows-xp-sp3-breaks-windows-update.aspx

the basics are

download the windows update agent to the desktop (or some othe location)

Stop the update service

install the agent

start the update service if its not started.

I guess if you have a few machines to do you could script the install (thankfully I only had 1).

Hope this helps

Regards,

Paul Fisher

here is the artical.

Windows XP SP3 breaks Windows Update
    If you install XP SP3 on a clean SP2 box Windows Update will no longer work.
    Unless you have the newer Windows Update Agent 3.0 your stuck in a hole
    There is no way to get it via AU or WU or MU only a manual installation can resolve the issue

1. Download the new Agent (but do not Run it yet) to your Desktop (so you can find it below) :
    X86 Version: http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

----    COPY THE windows update agent to the desktop  then

2. Start, Run, CMD

In the black box:

net stop wuauserv
    "%userprofile%\Desktop\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" /wuforce (don't forget the quotation marks)
     net start wuauserv exit

Thanks to Bill Castner for putting me onto it.

Published Fri, May 9 2008 20:07 by Mark Dormer
    Filed under: Windows XP

• Proposed as answer by Mr Fish Monday, August 15, 2011 10:09 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Great info, Mr. Fish (and Bill Castner). I followed your directions and successfully installed the update agent. And I've managed to get a bit further. But now I've run into another problem. Windows update starts checking but then I receive a "403 Forbidden. Access is denied. You do not have permission to view this directory using the credentials that you supplied." What the ...? Anyhow, thanks again.

UPDATE: Eureka!!! Don't know what happened over night, but I just checked and the updates are, well, updating.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Thanks saldrich70!  I re-formatted twice, tried windows auto update, re-registered every .dll I could think of, installed windows installer etc... then found your post to install WindowsUpdateAgent.  That was the trick!  thanks...
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Had the same problem, here's what I did:

1) Updated to IE8

2) Downloaded the update agent from here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe (provided by Mr Fish in his post and this is the 6.46 MB size one that works per athmanb’s post) and just put it on a flash drive, then installed it from the flash drive with no special instructions and it worked great.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:29 PM
  • the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe  with the '/wuforce' option fixed it for me as well.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I lost hours (days) install uninstall... it is because of this way of work that sometimes I would punch on microsoft, they can do it well but they prefer to play with us. I am very angry, I have more to do. Here, it is 1:52 AM. Bad Microsoft, bad... thanks to the users that are posting here.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:57 AM
  • I just have the same problem, and after searching and browsing to find solution, find the solve ones:

Just click this url: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264

And it works, the update come up again..

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Same Problem here.

Newly formatted, rebuilt hardrives using XP SP3. Automatic Updates not set during the initial install because our domain policy does not allow users to install any SW.  I am finding that the auto update security settings are greyed out, even for the local admin.  Never seen that before.  This all just started to happen maybe three weeks ago.  Can't account for it in the registry, yet.  I have removed the Windows Update Registry folder, rebooted, tried running update from the website. 

Followed the instructions for Windows XP SP3 on the support webpage, nothing hapens at first.  Then I noticed the UPdate icon appeared in the taskbar below.  I could get to run and load the Active X then the updates would install.  But when I tried to manually access the Update Page again, the same problem.  It seams as though it has to be done several times before you can access the update website.

Is MS aware of this issue??

Monday, August 22, 2011 1:32 PM
  • I was having same type of problem.  Attempting to manually navigate to www.windowsupdate.com (Like I have been doing for years.)  was causing my redirect to kb 2497281 article.

Using www.update.microsoft.com seems to work fine.

• Edited by syndicated101 Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:22 AM Added article number.
    • Proposed as answer by Rockut Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:10 AM
  • ok so here is what you do to fix this. all you have to do is install ie7 and install WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe from here: 

you might have to uninstall ie8 first if you have it installed and heres how you do that. go to command prompt and type %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

then reboot, install ie7, install windows update agent, and your good to go!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Before you do any of the suggestions above, try going to this site first:

http://update.microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by JShan99 Monday, March 19, 2012 3:34 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 3:06 PM
  • That actually solved it for me.  Looks like a goofy redirect issue with MS.  Possibly how they have their redirector made up in either the DNS or on a site somewhere.  I have also seen where IE for some reason will not automatically swap over to https from http for sites like webmail without having to put in https manually.  

Looks like theres a CNAME record in for this:

www.windowsupdate.com. 3590 IN CNAME windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net.

When looking up the CNAME entry the above result:

windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net. 206 IN CNAME www.update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net.

No more CNAMEs aftre that so we end up finally with:

www.update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net. 170 IN A 65.54.51.251

However for each of those records there is also an A record associated with them:

www.update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net. 125 IN A 65.54.51.251

windowsupdate.microsoft.nsatc.net - NO A RECORD

www.update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net. 69 IN A 65.54.51.251

Looks more like DNS strangeness.  They should really (if I remember right) have a cname for www.windowsupdate.com to www.update.microsoft.com then an A record to point www.update.microsoft.com to  65.54.51.251.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:57 PM
  • We recently started having problems updating our Windows XP SP3 PCs. So, as a test case, I downloaded the “Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (x86) - CD VL (English)” cd from MSDN. Checked the SHA hash and it’s the correct value

D:\tools>fciv -sha1 \downloads\en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso
    //
    // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
    //
    66ac289ae27724c5ae17139227cbe78c01eefe40 \downloads\en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso

I then installed this CD on a new VM, using our company VL key, and using the standard options. After the install the System Properties says "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3"

But then, if I open IE6, go to the menu Tools->Windows Update, I get redirected to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281 telling me that I don’t have the latest service pack.

I then followed the directions from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/ac5e5a4b-e6ee-4c76-857f-b75e87d5bf22

• Downloaded http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe installed it with the /wuforce option, rebooted. Still got the above error.
    • Registered all the DLLs in Suggestion 2, still got the above error.
    • Did the MSIexec /unregister and /regserver, still got the error.

I then had a look into Add/Remove programs whether Windows Installer 3.1 was installed, but the list was completely empty, even with “Show updates” checked. If I do a “wmic product” only “WebFldrs XP” is installed on the PC.

But if I try to installed Windows Installer 3.1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en it tells me that the Service Pack of the system is newer than the update I’m trying to apply and that there is no need to install it.

After all this, the Windows Update website still refuses to load. Downloading updates through the Automatic Updates in the control panel works, but after the PC is joined to the domain that method is disabled and we occasionally need to update single PCs over the web to diagnose problems. It seems that this is a relatively recent change, as recently as a few weeks ago all of this worked perfectly. Does anyone know what might be the reason for this problem?

windows updates,Gets redirected to KB 2497281, Windows xp sp3

Symptoms
    When doing windows updates on Windows XP Professional SP3, Instead of going to the Windows update page it goes to the KB article 2497281,This offers / advises to install the latest Service pack (SP). when we install updates manually they get installed.

Cause
    The Windows Update Agent file %windir%\system32\wuweb.dll was not updated to version 7.4.xxxx, so when visiting Windows Update web site, it was redirect to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281
    Our MU team has checked the issue. It is identified as the issue of client “Self Update”: The DLL files of Windows Update Agent were not properly updated. Specifically, wuweb.dll wasn’t  updated right away. The site detects the old version of wuweb.dll, and then redirects the site.

Resolution
    We download and install the latest Windows Update Agent to upgrade wuweb.dll. to the latest version.

Download and install the latest WUA installer from:

now rename the file %windir%\system32\wuweb.dll to wuweb.dll.old.

In case we are unable to rename this file

Run this command line to find out which process is using wuweb.dll

Tasklist -m wuweb.dll

And kill the returned process.

Now you should be able to rename %windir%\system32\wuweb.dll to wuweb.dll.old.

Now install the WindowsUpdateAgent

And install it with: following switch

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

After installation, please double confirm the version of %windir%\system32\wuweb.dll, make sure it is 7.4 or above

More Information

latest WUA installer can be obtained from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

•Make sure that Automatic Updates is enabled
    ◦Click Start, run, type sysdm.cpl, and click OK.
    ◦Go to the Automatic Updates tab
    ◦Enable Automatic Updates (click the top option), click OK
    •That should fix the problem, but just to ensure a self-update happens right away, run wuauclt /detectnow from the previously opened cmd line

• Edited by Raheesh Friday, December 09, 2011 7:31 PM
    Friday, December 09, 2011 7:30 PM
  • We are experiencing the same issue. Three machines with a clean install of XP SP2. Windows updates works until SP3 is installed. Once SP3 is installed however WU no longer works. It attempts to connect but does not and returns error code 0x8024402F. I have tried several resolutions listed here on TechNet including Mr. Fish's and nothing has resolved this issue for us. Has anyone found a resolution to turn to when all else fails for this issue? I am using the most recent WindowsUpdateAgent, we do have network connectivity, I have reregistered the suggested dll files, I have added WU and MU to the trusted sites, I have tried with Firewall on and off, no third party firewall installed, no antivirus installed yet, and they have been updated to IE 8. Please community any more information regarding this issue will be helpful I am losing much needed time troubleshooting this issue when I should be able to complete the updates and deploy. I know by reading other posts that this issue began in or around August 2011 but we did not begin seeing this issue until this month. I had one machine show signs of this issue in January but on that one Automatic Updates were still working. It however is not working on these. If I am posting this in the wrong section or should have started a new thread my apologies. Thank you all in advance for any assistance.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

Kinda the same issue here.

Old W2003 SP2 server, WU fail with 0x8024402F error.

Tried everything recommended here : http://taurarian.mvps.org/WU_XP/0x8024402f.htm and from technet sources, nothing works.

Then uninstalled the Framework .NET 4.0 (client, extended and langage pack) to see WU working again.

I tried reinstalling KB982671, which is the fwk 4 of dotnet, to cross again the infamous 0x8024402F.

Uninstalled Framework .NET 4.0 : WU working again.

I tried to use a full install of the .net 4.0, but fat chance. 

Unless I find a solution to have both fwk.net 4.0 AND WU, I will pass on the install of  KB982671.

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:12 PM

• Proposed as answer by drock128 Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:27 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 3:35 PM
  •   I have been trying to solve this problem for a long time.   It didn't matter too much as the updates came automatically,  but I sometimes need to get on the Update site.   Nothing I tried worked, but then I found a workround.   I went to Help and Support and selected update from there and it went straight through. 

I still don't know what caused the original problem.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 11:48 AM
  • After numerous vain attempts, I implemented a workaround solution too, on my HP-dc7600-XP-Professional desktop computer: install XP-Home instead. And now, I'm able to successfully reach Windows Update website.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 9:44 PM
  • I have also had this same issue and tried all the solutions listed to no avail. I just went to the Microsoft update site http://www.update.microsoft.com/ instead (which I had not been to before on this PC), and installed the ActiveX control from their site, and now I am able to load Windows and Office updates on demand.
    Monday, May 07, 2012 5:13 PM

After trying different possible fixes, the above seems to work for me. Also, accesing through the link ("Windows Update Web site") located in Control Pannel->Automatic Updates seems to work too.
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:36 AM
  • I tried this and it worked!

http://msmvps.com/blogs/athif/archive/2006/04/05/Re-Installing-WUA.aspx

work like a charm
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:20 AM