none
MDT Media Creation - Image size limitation

Question

• I am trying to create a media share that can be deployed over a USB. The problem that I am seeing right now is the USB is formated in NTFS which limits my master image file to 4GB. The current image size is 7.5GB.

If i were to place this inside of a normal windows 7 disc without using any answer file i would just split the file into SWM files and label in sequence. This doesn't seem to work on MDT.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

thanks

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:42 PM

All replies

• For MDT problems address this forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/mdt/threads

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:43 AM
  • I do not agree that file size limitation of 4GB exists on NTFS volume.
    I have successfully captured and deployed images that were greater than 9 GB.
    Perhaps your USB drive is formatted with FAT32.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:48 AM
  • my apologies. I mean larger than 4GB on a Fat32 format USB** Is there an option for MDT to create the  media on a ntfs bootable?

as per the first reply I will move to the MDT/Threads.

Thank You

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:42 PM
  • There is no problem formatting USB drive or USB Flash Drive (UFD) with NTFS file system.
    In fact formatting a drive from Windows 7 makes it bootable.

You can use diskpart.

Open CMD.exe as administrator

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk n
    clean
    create part primary
    select part n
    act
    format fs=ntfs quick

The above procedure would wipe your disk, create primary partition that will take complete disk capacity, make partition active (bootable) and format partition with ntfs.
    You may also need to use command bcdboot to transfer Boot Configuration Data to your boot drive.
    You may also need to use command BootSect from Windows AIK to initialize boot sector of your boot drive.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86>Bootsect
    bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/force] [/mbr]

Once you have a bootable drive that is formatted with ntfs filesystem, you can use it from MDT.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Good Day,

I am a little off as to how i can use this syntax

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86>Bootsect
    bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/force] [/mbr]

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:34 PM
  • You can convert fat32 to ntfs using this command  convert <var>drive letter</var>: /fs:ntfs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881?wa=wsignin1.0

Assuming you already have a bootable usb you can use the above command and then just copy your wim to your bootable usb drive and should

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:18 PM