none
Windows features dialog box empty and uninstall updates list is empty

Question

• When I went to turn on a new feature in vista ultimate today, the dialog box that pops up and shows you the list of features you can choose from is empty.  It displays please wait for a few seconds and then nothing.  I also noticed that when I go to the add remove programs sections and try to remove windows updates that were install on my system, the list of installed updates is empty even though a few updates were installed.  Not sure if these are related, but has anyone had this issue.  How do I get these lists to show up again? 

I found a post on something similar but the solution did not work, the registry key was not found.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712/en-us

Monday, February 26, 2007 3:44 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue, how can i resolve it? The provided "solution" doesnt work here also because that registry doesnt exist.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 5:47 PM
  • I have the same problem... any news?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:17 PM
  • I still haven't had any luck.  I also notice that windows updates doesn't find any new updates now and if I go to the microsoft website and manually download an update I get a message saying that this update does not apply to your system.  Has anyone figured this out yet?
    Friday, March 30, 2007 12:11 AM
  • Another one with this issue!

started after installing the latest round of security patches caused Vista to reboot during the boot process. So I rolled back to the last known best configuration and now .net dosent think that IIS is installed even when it is... at least inetmgr works..  I cant confirm it of course since the "Turn Windows features on or off" is just an empty dialog now.. like everyone else in this thread.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 9:05 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.

Did you solve this issue?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:40 PM
  • I ended up having to reinstall.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Only with reinstall... Tongue Tied

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Any news?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:15 AM
  • I having same issue, UNTIL 2006, NO FIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's better to install WINDOWS 2000/ XP, or move to ubuntu / linux to save time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finsish with this stupid vista/windows7 (may be better only for mp3)
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:47 AM
  • The same problem on Windows 7. There is an error in System log:

Event 7023, Service Control Manager
    The Windows Modules Installer service terminated with the following error:
    Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Reinstalled a lot of times. Doesn't help.
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Can confirm same issue on Windows 7 Enterprise. None of the solutions offered in the KB above work for me either and in point of fact, sfc tool doesn't even start for me.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:39 AM
  • HI all, just faced this problem as well, on Windows VIsta SP2.

I installed the following tool:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

After a reboot, i visited the Windows Update again and was able to see the update list correctly.
    Hope it helps.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:02 PM