none
Change MP3 tags error: 0x8007000D

Question

• when i try to change the tag of  some MP3 files such as 'Album Artist' in windows 7(Ultimate 6.1.7600 build 7600 and updated untill 2010-01-04)
    it show me this error :

Apply Properties File
    An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file.if you continue to recieve this error, you can use the error code to search for
    help with this problem.
    Error 0x8007000D:The data is invalid.

But i can change the tag of such files with no problem in windows XP.(This problem occures only in some MP3 files,not all MP3 files.)
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm if all of the MP3 file tags cannot be changed.

You can download the following sample MP3 file and take a test:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/mediaplayer/wmptest/samples/new/mediaexample.mp3

On my computer, I can change its tag without error.

Please understand that Windows 7 supports changing MP3 tag if its medatada is compatible with Windows 7. You can find the information here.

If the medatada version is another one, such as V2.4, error will occur. Just for your reference, according to http://www.id3.org/, "While there are legacy and future standards for ID3 tags, the most popular version implemented today is ID3 version 2.3. A follow on version, 2.4, is documented on this website but has not achieved popular status due to some disagreements on some of the revisions and the tremendous inertia present in the software and hardware marketplace.". Given this situation, we need to change data tagging from ID3 version 2.4 to version 2.3 first. About the detailed information of what version was the MP3 tagged, you may need to contact its distributor. Thank you.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:41 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:50 AM
  • Hi,

It should be caused by file metadata. Please check if solutions on the following thread works:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/w7itproinstall/thread/fd434d22-8765-44db-8b17-2257a3619255

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It should be caused by file metadata. Please check if solutions on the following thread works:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/w7itproinstall/thread/fd434d22-8765-44db-8b17-2257a3619255

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:02 AM
  • hi
    i don't like to install any extra software for changing mp3 tags(my computer is full of such tiny software and i dont like to add any more fu(c)kingware!!!).
    is it possible to change the tag of such mp3 files with windows 7 like windows XP without any problem and without any extra software?
    why windows 7 is not as good as XP in this case? XP can change all the tags without any problem !
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if all of the MP3 file tags cannot be changed.

You can download the following sample MP3 file and take a test:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/mediaplayer/wmptest/samples/new/mediaexample.mp3

On my computer, I can change its tag without error.

Please understand that Windows 7 supports changing MP3 tag if its medatada is compatible with Windows 7. You can find the information here.

If the medatada version is another one, such as V2.4, error will occur. Just for your reference, according to http://www.id3.org/, "While there are legacy and future standards for ID3 tags, the most popular version implemented today is ID3 version 2.3. A follow on version, 2.4, is documented on this website but has not achieved popular status due to some disagreements on some of the revisions and the tremendous inertia present in the software and hardware marketplace.". Given this situation, we need to change data tagging from ID3 version 2.4 to version 2.3 first. About the detailed information of what version was the MP3 tagged, you may need to contact its distributor. Thank you.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:50 AM
  • I had the same problem on Windows 7 when trying to add some of my MP3s to my iPod. I used a program called CDex (ver 1.51) to convert the MP3 files to WAV and then back to MP3 again (again using CDex). I was then able to edit the metadata. The latest CDex (1.7 Beta) is available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/files/cdexos/CDex%201.70%20beta%204%202009/CDex-win32-1.70-b4-2009.exe/download

It is a bit of a pain to convert and then re-convert, but it was the only solution i could find that works quickly. The nice thing about the CDex version i am using is that it is not an installed program but runs as an EXE from the CDex folder. I have been using this since Windows 95 and still works 100% under Windows 7.

I also just converted those MP3s that gave problems. It is not necessary to do it with every file.

• Proposed as answer by Tjomma Monday, August 02, 2010 6:40 AM
    • Edited by Tjomma Monday, August 02, 2010 6:52 AM Updated URL and some more decriptions
    Monday, August 02, 2010 6:38 AM
  • I had the same problem and I didn't want to download another program so I've used the basic idea of Tjomma with a program that a lot of people have : Nero!!  If you have that program installed on your computer you'll see that it comes with Nero Wave Editor that does exacly the same job.  So you're doing the same process of converting mp3 to wave and then to mp3 without having the problem of downloading another tiny program.

I think this procedure would also work with most converters so recommand to use yours before installing a new one.

Friday, September 10, 2010 3:23 PM
  • THis program fixed it for me

http://www.gromkov.com/faq/repair/mp3_validator.html

This program fix the files.

Thank you Adonis_S

• Proposed as answer by The SAK Friday, January 18, 2013 3:43 PM
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:00 PM
  • To the people that dont want to install additional Software, I understand but i can assure u that one TRUSTED application will be able to solve ALL problems. All you have to do is Use/Install ITUNES. if u go to the song, right click it, there's an option to convert ID3 tags. I recommend Importing all ur music files to ITUNES and seletcting all the songs at once and then right clicking and convert their ID3 tags to v2.3. THIS WILL SOLVE ALL PROBLEMS WITH EDITING THE FILES INFO.

Also i'd like to note somtimes you'll have songs u transfer to ur cell phone/etc devices that are UNABLE to play the song due to "some sort of error", This may solve the problem. It resolved mine, which was determined by checking the files in ITUNES. on my Env2 cell phone, i transferred an ENTIRE album and only half the songs would play on the music player, Converting the ID3 tags to 2.3 resolved the issue, and no problems since. . . .

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:17 AM
  • OK, Martin, while I agree that iTunes is crap, vulgarity and cursing is quite unnecessary.  And to The WOLF, first of all, I don't trust iTunes any farther than I can throw a two-ton truck.  Second, as I will point out below, iTunes was not able to process my problem files any better than Windows could, so it is NOT able to solve all problems, as you claim it is.  It may have solved all your problems, which is fine and dandy, but for you to scream out (yeah, that's what typing in bold print AND using all caps is - screaming) that it will solve all problems with editing the files info is for you to assume without any foundation that everyone has exactly the same problems that you do, which is a foolish and unjustifiable claim.  No two computers are identical once they are in use, so every person can potentially have their own unique problems.

The big problem with tags is that there are so many programs that can create and edit id3 tags, and only a handful of them follow the guidelines established in version 2.3. 

I have files that I ripped years ago using MusicMatch, and I haven't been able to edit or view their information in Windows Explorer in XP, Vista, and now in 7.  I can view the id3v1 and id3v2 tags in WinAmp, and everything looks fine, and even in the id3-TagIT program, they show up just fine, and it lists them as id3v2.3.  But they don't show up in Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, or even in iTunes.  If I modify the id3v2 tag in WinAmp, even by just adding a space to something and then backspacing it before I click OK (so technically NOT modifying it at all, but WinAmp updates the tag anyway), then everything shows up and works just fine. 

At first I thought it had to do with embedded artwork, but then I noticed some files that did work that still had their artwork embedded.  Since every one of my files that doesn't work correctly was ripped using MusicMatch, the only possible cause I could come up with is that MusicMatch created the tags in a way that didn't quite conform to the id3 standards.  WinAmp must be just relaxed enough that it can read the tag, and if you modify it, it rewrites it correctly.  Windows and iTunes then must follow the id3 standards more rigidly, so they can't process the bad tags.  The funny thing is that I have other files that I ripped using a later version of MusicMatch that I've not had any trouble with, so my theory about MusicMatch being my problem may be complete rubbish.  Of course, it doesn't matter anymore, since MusicMatch doesn't exist anymore.

I personally think it would be to Microsoft's advantage and to their credit to include a feature in Windows Media Player to number 1, be able to read these defective tags, and number 2, be able to repair damaged or defective id3 tags, that way we wouldn't have to have this discussion at all.  It would also be really nice if the people over at id3.org would get on the stick and nail down the standards for tagging, so there is no gray area (I'm specifically talking about version 2.4, which never really got off the ground, but some people started using it anyway). 

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:22 AM
  • awgie: MP3 Validator can do a batch check/repair of MP3 files, so perhaps it can repair the bad tags as well?
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:33 PM
  • awgie: MP3 Validator can do a batch check/repair of MP3 files, so perhaps it can repair the bad tags as well?
    Tim De Baets
    MP3 Validator showed no errors with my mp3 songs. I was able to solve the problem by using iTunes to convert the tags to v. 2.2. Converting them to v. 2.3 did not work for me. Very odd problem and sad to see Apple one upping MS on an OS that is not even theirs.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:15 AM

Tim De Baets
    MP3 Validator showed no errors with my mp3 songs. I was able to solve the problem by using iTunes to convert the tags to v. 2.2. Converting them to v. 2.3 did not work for me. Very odd problem and sad to see Apple one upping MS on an OS that is not even theirs.
    Same issue here.  MP3 Validator doesn't find errors in all mp3 files that I can't edit - only some.  Don't know why, but it's frustrating.
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Sage_One: do the MP3 files contain tags in the ID3v2.4 format (WMP/Explorer don't support that format)? You can check with a tool like Mp3tag.

Have you tried converting the tags to v2.3 or possibly even v2.2 as suggested by J J Hull? You can use Mp3tag or iTunes for converting.

Tim De Baets
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 3:33 PM
  • The WOLF - thank you!  While I don't like - and therefore don't use - iTunes, it was already on my computer when it was given to me.  So, for those of us who already have iTunes and do not want to install new software, this is a great fix.  It worked beautifully with no problems.  Also, changing the ID3 tags was super easy, even though I am not technically-inclined, which is part of the reason I didn't want to fool with figuring out new software.  Thank you for noting that there are those of us who don't want to install new software, especially from websites/companies with which we aren't familiar, and suggesting this alternate solution.  It worked incredibly well - I had been trying to change the artist info on the songs in an album, in order to get Windows Media Player to stop dumping the album in with all the other "Unknown" artist songs.  After I changed the ID3 tags using iTunes, I didn't even have to go back and manually change the info - they appeared correctly in Windows Media Player as soon as I changed to v2.3 in iTunes.  Thanks again!

If there's anyone else who's like me and cringes in fear at terms such as "metadata" and "ID3 tags," here are the step-by-step instructions-for-dummies for fixing the problem using iTunes:  After opening iTunes, if the song or album is not already in your iTunes music library, use the "File" tab in the upper-left-hand corner and select either "Add File to Library" or "Add Folder to Library."  It allows you to select only the files/folders you want, so since I don't use iTunes, I only added the album folder I was having trouble with.  Once the song/album is showing in your iTunes library, then you'll need to get to where you can see the song/s listed individually.  (e.g. - If you're viewing your music library by "Artists" or "Albums," double-click on the artist or album to view the individual songs.)  Right-click on the song you want, select "Convert ID3 Tags," select the "ID3 tag version" box (make sure there's a check in the box), use the drop-down menu to select "v2.3," and then click "OK."  If you need to do this for several songs, such as an entire album, you can select all the songs at once by doing the following:  highlight one of the songs you want (highlight by left-clicking once), hold down the "Ctrl" key, then left-click once on each additional song, so that all songs you want are highlighted at the same time.  Release the "Ctrl" key, then right-click and go from there.  Hope this helps!

• Edited by anneville Saturday, October 01, 2011 7:18 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Charles125 Monday, March 12, 2012 3:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Charles125 Monday, March 12, 2012 3:29 AM
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 7:07 AM
  • Open the mp3 file in any reputable audio editor. The free Audacity audio editor will do just fine. 

Resave using the 'Save As' option with a different filename, eg add A  to the file name being sure to resave it as an mp3.

Delete the original file, and rename the new file back to the original file name eg remove the A from the filename. You can then edit the tags!

You will need to do this individually for each file where editing tags hadn't worked. Job Done. :)

No need for unknown 3rd party software and particularly no need to use iTunes. :) :)

(Technically, old files have an old tag format Win 7 can't recognise. The audio editor will save the file with newer and recognisable to Win 7 file tags!)

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Charles125: it's likely that audio editors will re-encode the file, which inevitably leads to quality loss. So probably not a good idea if you care about the quality of your MP3s.

Tim De Baets

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:01 PM
  • I've got quite simpe solution:

If You use some other media player than WMP, try to update the MP3 Tags to the 2.3 version.

I use foobar2000 and I changed over 200 songs in this way with no more than 1 minute. It works :)

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Thank you for this - just tried mp3 Validator and it works fine for me on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Plus points:

- no installation, just run the application file

- it works

- when it repairs the MP3 metadata it creates a .bak version as well as a separate (repaired) .mp3

No negatives as far as I can see. I tried the CDex recommended by someone else and it was rubbish - a beta version that only seemed to want to open files on my DVD drive and then crashed anyway. It's already been uninstalled.

• Edited by The SAK Friday, January 18, 2013 3:44 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:43 PM
  • I recommend Importing all ur music files to ITUNES ...

Which also involves installing 100Mb of bloatware onto my computer first. No thanks, there are much easier ways to fix this problem.
    • Edited by The SAK Friday, January 18, 2013 3:46 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Thanks for the help! Currently had Itunes but didn't know that it could do this!
    Monday, May 20, 2013 12:03 PM