Backup display message 0x8078002a

Question

•  

When I go to backup my computer I get this message 0x8078002a every time and therefore I can not back it up. Please help????
    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hello Vlad,

You need to contact Samsung about that drive.

Reference this article

982018 An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;982018
    In particular the section at in the table in the more information where it talks about supported sector sizes.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:56 PM
  • St. Igor

Thanks for posting this information, this is a really rare error message.

I have only found 2 people who ever experienced this, one was in 12/2006 when the error occured in a beta version of Vista. The second was in 1/2008 and this time it on a system with the Service Pack 1 beta installed?

I also found that the error code '0x8078002a' is the same error as '2155348010' which shows up in your event details.

The only 'fix' that was posted was the following from a user that said they had seen this error often on their system.

"I get that quite a lot during scheduled backups - I found that restarting the PC and then running the backup immediately after start-up does the trick...the backup goes through without problems."

You might want to try this to see if it solves the problem.

Let us know what you find.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:58 PM

All replies

• David

I get  zero returns on that error code? Could you check it again.

Better yet, go to Control Panel, click the Classic View in the Tasks Pane. Double click the Administrative Tools.

Select the Event Viewer.

In the Event Viewer, Expand Custom Views and select Administrative Events.

Look for any 'Red Icon' error messages that show a date and time when you last used the backup program. If you find any, double click the error to see the details. At the 'lower left' of the details window, click the 'Copy Button' and paste the results back here, in a reply.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, August 25, 2008 4:23 AM
  • Hello Ronnie,

it's very interesting that I have the same problem, as David, since last thursday. After few seconds from start, Back up and Restore just display that one of the backup files could not be created. Day after, I find the same problem on my second PC.

And this is error message from mine Administrative Events:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          8/21/2008 7:54:40 PM
    Event ID:      517
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      eXplorer-NB
    Description:
    Backup started at '8/21/2008 5:54:24 PM' failed with following error code '2155348010' (One of the backup files could not be created.). Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" />
        <EventID>517</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-08-21T17:54:40.479Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2459</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="3856" ThreadID="172" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>eXplorer-NB</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BackupTime">2008-08-21T17:54:24.167Z</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">2155348010</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2155348010</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Hope that this will help.

St.Igor

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:08 PM
  • St. Igor

Thanks for posting this information, this is a really rare error message.

I have only found 2 people who ever experienced this, one was in 12/2006 when the error occured in a beta version of Vista. The second was in 1/2008 and this time it on a system with the Service Pack 1 beta installed?

I also found that the error code '0x8078002a' is the same error as '2155348010' which shows up in your event details.

The only 'fix' that was posted was the following from a user that said they had seen this error often on their system.

"I get that quite a lot during scheduled backups - I found that restarting the PC and then running the backup immediately after start-up does the trick...the backup goes through without problems."

You might want to try this to see if it solves the problem.

Let us know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Yes, I also find same information (about 2 identical problems earlier in Vista developing). But you agree that the game "who would be faster" is a nonsence for a legal OS and with service that is "user friendly".

What did I find is 3rd application problem: as a result, Backup didn't work. Point it that one program is "removed" from Add/Remove programs list (not phisicaly): I install newer version, and after that, my previous installation became "unvisible". It was on my HDD indeed, but it wasn't listed on Add/Remove programs list. And unlikly, that program works just well! After all, I uninstall previous application version, and Restore works just fine. So, as one guy from Microsoft support, here from Serbia say, obviously, the problem is mismatch between Shadow Copy and real state on HDD. 

And on a second PC, problem instead on a C (system) partition, was actually on a 3rd, E partition (without any program installed on it). I didn't mention that both PC's running Vista X64, Business (laptop) and Ultimate (desktop). I'm not sure is this the error specified for X64 systems, but can't be a bug, because I use Vista (to be honest X86) from RC2, and I never see this error for almost 2 years.

I resolve my problem, but still, it would be very nice to find (right) solution for this problem, to help those how maybe see this error in future (as you may know, on the Internet you can't find right, logical, answer). So, could we try to find right answer?

Best regards,
    St.Igor

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:26 PM
  • I just ran into this problem also.  I think it has something to do with me swapping out my HD with a new one.  This is on Windows Server 2008 x64.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" />
      <EventID>517</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-05T10:31:11.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>23171</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="1852" ThreadID="4260" />
      <Computer>BRADLAPTOP7.scs.local</Computer>
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BackupTime">2009-03-05T10:30:26.149Z</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:32 PM
  • I am running SBS 2008 and have started seeing the same error code, '2155348010', in the last few weeks and have not had a successful backup since.  I'm assuming this is due to a security update, since that is the only thing that has changed on the system in the last 3 months. 
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 12:59 PM
  • I have the same problem and creating backup just after system start did not help...

The error from event log says "could not create one of the backup files" (or something like that - I'm translating from polish)

The backup I'm trying to make is from 2 drives - C and E, (on C system image and from E photos)

Is there a solution for this problem? Or do I have to use commercial software like others...
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:30 PM
  • I’m having the same problem on a new SBS 2008 install. Backup worked fine for 7 days from 21/01/2010 to 18/01/2010. Failed on 19/01/2010 and no successful backup since then.

Application Event:
    Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System

Product Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Event ID: 519

Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup

Locale ID: 5129

General: 

Backup started at '2/02/2010 11:00:01 a.m.' failed to backup volume(s) 'D:' with following error code 2155348010 (One of the backup files could not be created.). Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

Any fix for this yet?

Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Hi

I am having the same issues as JannieB.  SBS 2008 working fine for over a month and then suddenly starts displaying the 2155348010 error message.  Any one have any updates on this?

Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:16 PM

• I finally opened a case with MS to try to resolve this issue and this is what we found.

Resolution -
    Ran Vssadmin List Writers.   The State of most of the writers showed waiting for completion
    Enabled TCP/IP ,Named Pipes and Checked "Enable shared memory protocol" in Client Configuration Utility

Backups ran successfully the last two nights.

Running Vssadmin List Writers on Saturday showed a State of all of the writers to be Stable.

I'm not sure why the backups ran for 3-4 months before stopping  how/why the Client Configuration Utility settings had to be changed but now it's working.  I've sent another email back to support asking them what the defaults were and how those settings could have been changed..

Hope this helps someone.

Jim
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Hi Jim-
    I keep getting the 0x8078002A error when doing a backup.  I reformatted the target drive.  And tried the backup right after startup and it still won't work.  How do I run Vssadmin List Writers under Advanced Administrator privileges??

Please help before I lose all of my hair.
    Thanks,
    Ray
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:08 PM
  • I just started using the backup feature on Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) and I get the same error message and error code number (0x8078002A) as has been mentioned by others here.  I guess this error code and associated problem isn't so rare after all!

My "Administrative Events" log shows that right before the above error code happens it is always preceded by the following error:

"The backup operation that started at '‎2010‎-‎05‎-‎02T06:21:37.363722200Z' has failed with following error code '2155348010' (One of the backup files could not be created.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

Of course, there are no "event details" to look at to help solve the problem!

Then prior to the just mentioned error I get the following error in the log:

"DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service VSS with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {0B5A2C52-3EB9-470A-96E2-6C6D4570E40F}"

And this error is preceded with the following two errors:

Right before the above error I get:

"The Volume Shadow Copy service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

And before this I get:

"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Volume Shadow Copy service to connect."

So it appears that the VSS is not responding in the allotted time for the files to be copied.  I've tried other backup programs that use the VSS and they all seem to have a problem using the VSS at one time or another.

I'll do some more digging and see if I can find a solution.  Maybe lengthening the VSS response time will help.  My guess for those that rebooted and then had the backup work got it to do so because there were very few programs running right after the restart.  I'll try a backup with as few apps running as possible so VSS has plenty of resourses so no delay in its response should happen.  I'm running a 3 GHZ quad-core proc with 8GB RAM, that should be enough to get the VSS to work!

Charlie

Sunday, May 02, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Ray,

Sorry I've not responded sooner. For some reason my notifications were going to junk mail.

I'm using Windows 2008 so I right click on my 'command prompt' icon and select run as administrator.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Count me in as having the exact same error.

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Backup
       [ Guid]  {1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D}

EventID 517

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2010-07-18T09:56:38.487305500Z

EventRecordID 27691

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  3812
       [ ThreadID]  844

Channel Application

Computer D1CONRAM

- Security

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18

- EventData

BackupTime 2010-07-18T08:44:52.838127800Z
      ErrorCode 2155348010
      ErrorMessage %%2155348010

Also trying to backup to a Share on a NAS on local network.

For whatever use I also ran the VSS command posted above and they are "stable". Will do a reboot a try again. Dont know how to alter those TCP/IP settings? Registry?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:11 AM
  • I would like to say that we are also facing the same issue.
    Monday, September 06, 2010 10:16 AM
  • This is the error message I get:

"One of the backup files could not be created. (0x8078002A)

Additional information:
    The handle is invalid (0x80070006)"

I also have encountered this error numerous times now, as I'm trying to backup my hard drive image to a network location.  I've tried restarting my PC as well as trying another 3rd party solution (Macrium Reflect), but for whatever reason the backup fails towards the end.  I hope someone out there can find a solution to this problem.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:16 AM
  • I've just started getting the same error, after everything worked fine for as long as I can remember.

My backups now fail every time, since about a week ago.  The error number is 0x8078002A. 

The backup starts, creates the directory called WindowsImageBackup, inside which is a folder named after my PC, in which is a file called MediaID, (1KB) and two folders:

"Backup 2010-09-13 205423" containing a file with a very long gibberish name ending .VHD, 19,921,852KB in size

"Catalog", containing BackupGlobalCatalog (61KB) and GlobalCatalog (61KB).

After some minuted, I get the red flag in the taskbar.

The error message is:

One of the backup files could not be created.  Details: The drive could not find the sector requested.

The drive used is a USB2 external 500GB drive, which has worked fine for a year or so at least.   The usual drive check routines find nothing wrong with it.   I have various other stuff on it, which seems to be fine.

I recently had a very large batch of MS Windows 7 updates.  Could it be that something in there has broken the USB connectivity in some way, so that Backup can't access the USB drives in the way it wishes?

I'm running a fairly old PC, Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've tried renaming the WindowsImageBackup directory to something else, and running again.  And again.  And again.  Same result each time.

Event viewer reported this for one of last night's several attempts to run backup:

- < Event xmlns =" http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event " >
    - < System >
      < Provider Name =" Microsoft-Windows-Backup " Guid =" {1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D} " />
      < EventID > 517 </ EventID >
      < Version > 0 </ Version >
      < Level > 2 </ Level >
      < Task > 0 </ Task >
      < Opcode > 0 </ Opcode >
      < Keywords > 0x8000000000000000 </ Keywords >
      < TimeCreated SystemTime =" 2010-09-13T00:25:44.092023400Z " />
      < EventRecordID > 9570 </ EventRecordID >
      < Correlation />
      < Execution ProcessID =" 5628 " ThreadID =" 3444 " />
      < Channel > Application </ Channel >
      < Computer > Keith-Desktop </ Computer >
      < Security UserID =" S-1-5-18 " />
      </ System >
    - < EventData >
      < Data Name =" BackupTime " > 2010-09-13T00:14:34.539289000Z </ Data >
      < Data Name =" ErrorCode " > 2155348010 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" ErrorMessage " > %%2155348010 </ Data >
      </ EventData >
      </ Event >

I've got round the problem in the short term using a batch file I wrote about 20 years ago, that uses XCOPY to copy all my "stuff" to the same external drive.   That works fine.

I also tried the routine using a different external drive.  There were some files on the drive, but after about 10 minutes of backup, and at maybe 15% of the way through, Windows told me I need to format the drive!   I then got an error message from backup 0x80078002 "The  system cannot find the file specified."

So either both my external USB drives have died in the same week, or something's up with Windows.   Tomorrow, I might fish out the portable USB that belongs with the laptop and see if I can back up to that.

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I'm getting the same message.   "One of the backup files could not be created. (0x8078002A).  Reboots not helping.
    Has anyone found a way to resolve this?  MS -- can you give us a hand? 

Thanks, Robin

Friday, October 22, 2010 1:12 AM
  • I h
    I hCount me in on having this error....on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit....I actually opened another thread, and I had already seen, but was turned here. None of the above remedies help. I even set the vssadmin list writers settings, and that didn't work - works to usb drive though. The shadow copy fails to terminate it's creation it seems, because just as the shadow copy says it is about to finish, the process stops, and I get these errors. The errror log is wrong, as it doesn't take two minutes for the shadow copy to finish. As described below the error log show one a half minutes between the errors, although I waited a good half hour, before it failed. I have tried and googled this, and noone seems to have had this error (except this thread), and the one person that had i elsewehere, got no answer.  I would appreciate any help. The description of the problem, is that Windows 7 Backup and restore to network share starts and fails after about 2 minutes - it has worked many times before. Backup to external USB drive works fine, without any settings such as turning off Virus program, or touching anything - computer has been for hours, and it seems to always work to USB drive. My server can hold several Tera, and has to my knowledge all sharing options open. I can move files, and do just about anything normally. My research on the 4104 error here: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4104&eventno=10636&source=Windows%20Backup&phase=1 shows no information about this particular error code. The order in which the events happen is as follows. Backup starts, 1:50 minutes and event id 517, after which 1:30 minutes event id 4104. Although as mentioned this is directly untrue. It takes until shadow copy is over until event ID 517. This is really irritating, since it worked for half year, and suddenlig backups would give this error. Could be a network thing, most likely since USB Backup works. Any would much appreciated!

I have also posted this in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/de017391-e19d-45b1-b89e-409120877e82/ 

Thanks in advance!

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Windows Backup" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">4104</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-20T03:35:44.000000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>28743</EventRecordID>
      <Computer>eohlap7</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>Kan ikke opprette en av sikkerhetskopifilene. (0x8078002A)</Data>
      <Binary>2A007880E30500003F0900005B090000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D}" />
      <EventID>517</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-20T03:34:53.996812900Z" />
      <EventRecordID>28742</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="14136" ThreadID="10820" />
      <Computer>eohlap7</Computer>
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BackupTime">2010-10-20T03:21:11.843631200Z</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    Friday, October 22, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Same Problem here.  Popping up on every Windows Pro 7 and Ultimate 7 system I have. 

Guess it's time for Norton Ghost again.  I was hoping I could can the third party providers but I guess not. 

I doubt this is a "rare error" given the Google search and multiple posts I am seeing here.   A fix would be nice.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:57 PM
  • I am also having this same problem.  In my case I am trying to create a system image and it fails everytime.  I have 4 drives RAID 5 with two partitions.  One system and one for data.  When I try to backup a system image to the data partion I get this error.  It couldn't have something to do with trying something to do with the fact that I am backing up to the same raid array as the source?  Even though they are on different partitions?  I am completly at a loss.  I have chkdsk'd the volum and get no problems.
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:07 AM
  • I am yet another user receiving an error message containing this code.

"The backup failed. One of the backup files could not be created. (0x8078002A)                                                                               Additional Information: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)"  

This is preventing me from performing a system image backup, required to upgrade my system drive. 

The 0x8078002A error code was first reported within the message chain above over 2 years ago.

In response to that report, the MVP Moderator stressed that this was a very rare error code as of that date.  Now I count roughly 20 users who have reported this error code.

What progress has been made during the 2 years following the first report? Is there something I can do to perform a system image backup?

Sunday, January 02, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Ditto here!  When you get a red "verfy your backup" error and look at the details this is the same code (0x8078002A) I received today.  I'm using a laptop that was upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro.  Please some feedback on a solution.  Thanks!
    • Edited by mimijel Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:20 PM add missing error code
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:17 PM
  • It looks like this thread is over two years old and still NO resolution!

I am having the same problem with THREE Windows 7 systems. One is on a Netbook running strter edition, one is on a laptop running Home Premium  64 bit and the third is on a system running Ultimate 64 bit.

The only thing in common is a USB backup drive. The first drive was a 1TB drive and the 2nd was a 3TB drive. I am beginning to suspect that the problem hinges on the size of the USB backup drive.

I will dig out my 320GB backup drive and try that. Unfortunately, these are all USB SATA drives, although one drive can use firewire, but, alas, none of my laptops have firewire!

Dave

FiOS-Dave
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:24 AM
  • I'm having the same problem performing Backup to an external Samsung S2 Portable 640GB USB disk.

Backup terminates mid-way but leaves a VHD in D:\WindowsImageBackup\<<computer_name>>\Backup 2011-01-19 135320 folder

I tried to attach the VHD with Disk Management but I got "The sector size of the physical disk on which the virtual disk resides is not supported" so I ran fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo d: and got this: 

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo d:
    NTFS Volume Serial Number :    0x447e1b5e7e1b4856
    Version :             3.1
    Number Sectors :         0x00000000254297c0
    Total Clusters :         0x00000000012a14be
    Free Clusters :         0x0000000000258d3b
    Total Reserved :         0x0000000000000080
    <strong>Bytes Per Sector :        1024</strong>
    Bytes Per Cluster :        32768
    Bytes Per FileRecord Segment  : 1024
    Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 0
    Mft Valid Data Length :      0x0000000008300000
    Mft Start Lcn :         0x0000000000018000
    Mft2 Start Lcn :         0x0000000000000001
    Mft Zone Start :         0x0000000000019060
    Mft Zone End  :         0x0000000000019920
    RM Identifier:    6FB716EC-536B-11DF-8654-001DD9E9C2EC

The thing that worries me is that Bytes Per Sector is not equal to 512 which might explain why Backup is not working.

This disk came preformated by the manufacturer so they made this stupid decision. Now I'm also having trouble making it bootable

C:\TEMP>bootsect.exe /nt60 d: /mbr
    Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

D: (\\?\Volume{6fb716d3-536b-11df-8654-001dd9e9c2ec})

Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.

\??\PhysicalDrive1

<strong>  Could not write new bootcode to this disk:</strong>
    <strong>    The parameter is incorrect.</strong>

Bootcode was successfully updated on at least one volume.

cheers,
    </wqw>

• Proposed as answer by Dave Sexton Friday, July 29, 2011 8:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dave Sexton Friday, July 29, 2011 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Hello Vlad,

You need to contact Samsung about that drive.

Reference this article

982018 An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;982018
    In particular the section at in the table in the more information where it talks about supported sector sizes.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:56 PM
  • I ran out of space where I was doing my backups, so I bought a WD My Book 3TB USB drive for that purpose.

I had the same issue with that same error code.

The backups would work as long as I did not include a system image.

Tried many things I found in various places.

What finally worked was trying fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo d: that I saw from Vlad.

I ran that against the existing drive (a 1.5Tb SATA Samsung) and the WD My Book.

I found that the Per Sector was 512 on WD, but was 4096 on the Samsung.

I reformatted the WD to use 4096 Per Sector and now my backups are working fine again, and include system images for both my C & D drives.

I'm not sure how it turned out in your case, but in mine that sector size seems to have been the culprit.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:26 PM
  • I have been having the same issue with backing up and wanted to try this solution. However, the password provided for the file will not open the .zip file. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone know how to get the password issue fixed? Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Thanks for your post smdrzal... I think you are on the right track here, obviously since it worked for you.  However, my drives are actually the opposite.  I so I unsure what to do.  My WD My Book 3TD USB drive is 4096 per sector and my C: (on Windows 7 BTW) is 512 per sector.

More info...

E: my backup drive...

Bytes per sector: 4096

Bytes per cluster: 4096

bytes per FileRecord Segment: 4096

C: my boot drive...

Bytes per sector: 512

Bytes per cluster: 4096

bytes per FileRecord Segment: 1024

As you might imaging I do not wish to reformate my C:

Is re-formating my E: the only option available? and should I match my C: with all sector setting?

Thanks for any insight...

Craig

Sunday, April 03, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hello Craig,

The hardware of the drive is using 4096 physical sector size, the KB article points out this is not supported.

This is not a formatting issue.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hello,

Though this maybe the solution (and if so, I wish MS or someone would say if they've tried this and it worked) could someone explain how to do this,

I ran the vssadmin list writers and mine are all "stable" and yet I have this 0x878002A (2155348010) error like everyone else here.  I'm trying to backup to my company's network server at a location dedicated for backing up our files from my laptop.

Where do I on Win 7 PRO on my laptop change the client configuration setttings?  Or is this something my network administrator has to do and if so how (more and FYI for me)?

Thanks anyone!!!

JEL
    Monday, April 04, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hello Mimijel,

I am from Microsoft and I pointed to the KB article

2510009 Information about Microsoft support policy for large sector drives in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2510009

There are separate issues with this thread, either the hardware physical sector size which is referenced in teh article or the logical sector size also referenced in the article.

Monday, April 04, 2011 6:13 PM
  • I have no idea on how to fix this, but I did manage to run the VSSADMIN thing.
    Heres a dump:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list writers
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
    Writer name: 'Task Scheduler Writer'
       Writer Id: {d61d61c8-d73a-4eee-8cdd-f6f9786b7124}
       Writer Instance Id: {1bddd48e-5052-49db-9b07-b96f96727e6b}
       State: [1] Stable
       Last error: No error
    Writer name: 'VSS Metadata Store Writer'
       Writer Id: {75dfb225-e2e4-4d39-9ac9-ffaff65ddf06}
       Writer Instance Id: {088e7a7d-09a8-4cc6-a609-ad90e75ddc93}
    Writer name: 'Performance Counters Writer'
       Writer Id: {0bada1de-01a9-4625-8278-69e735f39dd2}
       Writer Instance Id: {f0086dda-9efc-47c5-8eb6-a944c3d09381}
    Writer name: 'System Writer'
       Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Instance Id: {f4f63b86-e8e7-48a6-a13d-3f770cfc7a4d}
       State: [5] Waiting for completion
    Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
       Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Instance Id: {9c7c82f9-50ea-4010-9dad-481d2e6908d7}
    Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
       Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
       Writer Instance Id: {19590100-bd18-4509-ae1d-7397b2c8c2d2}
    Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
       Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
       Writer Instance Id: {d02028af-6cd6-4b04-b231-f6385d1b6808}
    Writer name: 'BITS Writer'
       Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0}
       Writer Instance Id: {eb8435b9-12a7-4c87-888e-8e9dce420fa3}
    Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
       Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
       Writer Instance Id: {78780966-ddda-4bef-9acc-9a3a7e9269eb}
    Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
       Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
       Writer Instance Id: {2481bf1a-dd8c-4d42-9674-21b0a52337b2}
    Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
       Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
       Writer Instance Id: {9db30d5a-78c2-4b03-99c1-48e754356fee}
    C:\Windows\system32>
    Now what do i do to get rid of the red flag?
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:59 AM
  • I too am having the same problem. I was using a Fantom 1TB drive for backup and i didnt have enough capacity, so i would clean it up and backups would run for another few days.

So, I bought a 3TB WD My Book :(

Thats when i started getting the same problem you are discussing in this forum. So far, i have installed Win 7 SP1, re-partitioned the My Book, changed its drive type to GPT from MBR and reformated it in NTFS. Still getting same problem.

I then changed the backup to eliminate the System Image, and the files backup now works just fine.

I tried to run a System Image backup by itself, and it failed almost immeadiately withe the same error.

I reformated the old Fantom 1TB to free space, and made a System Image backup on it. Worked just fine! I guess i will just have to run a System Image backup manually when i make major changes.

I dont know who's problem this is, WD or Microsoft, but i sure wish they would fix it!

Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Just got a Seagate GoFlex 3TB drive to backup my 2TB Windows-7 SP1 x64 C: drive and having exactly the same problem: 0x8078002a  trying to create a system image backup on this drive.  It came with a USB 2/3 connection; I don't have USB 3 but have a Firewire800 GoFlex base for this drive.  Both USB 2 and Firewire 800 result in the same error: the image backup works for a little while, then terminates with the 0x8078002a error code.

I tried downloading the hotfix described above and it says that I already have it installed.  

So at this point, I'm at a loss.  I'll check with Seagate and try backing up in some other ways and hope for a fix.  I also have a 2TB WD Mybook and the image backup to that drive succeeds so either that's not an advanced format drive or it has a different problem.  I do want to switch to Firewire 800 (hence the GoFlex instead of a 3TB WD drive) because the last backup over USB took 24 hours.  The machine is an iMac so I don't have the option of installing USB3 and it predates LightPeak (or whatever they're calling that now).

Monday, June 06, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Same thing for me- I tried using that fixup but the compy claims it's already installed. I'm actually trying to use a 3TB WD drive for my personal computer's back-up but I get that red error with the same error code 0x8078002a. I did what GMCOX did and didn't do the System Image, and the backup flew through, so that seemed to be the problem for me as well. Anyways, I wish there were a real fix after 2 years...

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Same error, same problem... Samsung S2 500GB external drive... no real, useful, practical solution from MS :(
    Friday, July 01, 2011 5:03 PM
  • same problem here with Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB drive
    Friday, July 01, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Just wanted to add to the list of people who's been getting the same error message (backing up to 3TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex).  Not been able to run a backup at all since getting the new PC and backup drive. 

Thanks to this thread, have just tried it without the system image.  Seemed to backup OK.

Will look into the system image backup separately.

Thanks people.  Can only add that it seems absurd for this problem to have been going on for so long without a fix.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Further to my last post, my backup did not complete successfully as I had thought - even without system image.

Back to the drawing board.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Failed system image backups are due to the 4K/4K/4K sectors being used by some disk manaufacturers on USB disks.

Not yet supported until Windows 8 or other release by Microsoft.

You will  need to use a different disk brand or full system recovery method.

So don't buy IOMEGA Prestige 500GB USB2/3 powered (uses Hitachi disk) if you want to do System Image backups using Windows 7/Server2008 (other backups are OK), some Samsung models also have this issue on USB powered models.

Be aware there are may others causes why backups fail, so this might not apply to all posts here, check you disk with the fsutil command provided earlier (or the MS support KB posted earlier)

• Proposed as answer by TumT Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:14 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Sorry for a late reply.  I appreciate your helping me.  I don't quite know how the large sector drive article applies to my backing up to my company's server.  Does this mean that my sys admin has to check if our server's drive is compatible with Windows 7 for the backups to post there from our PC's/laptops?

Note that I do have the update in question on my laptop.  (And also note from my reply that I'm not an IT specialist, just a somewhat informed end user trying to help our small staff find a solution to an issue that affects me and eventually everyone in our company who need to back up to the server.

Thanks for any one giving additional help!

JEL
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hmmm, this seems to be a MAJOR issue.  Does anyone know if there's a list of APPROVED (tested) Windows 7 external hard drives that we can back up too?

Especially if I can't figure out how to back up to a server at work as well.

JEL
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:20 PM
  • The 4k USB disk I'm using (3TB Seagate GoFlex connected with Firewire 800) works fine from Windows 7.  What doesn't work is Windows Backup.  I don't see why it would care since the Seagate drive is supposed to remap the sectors behind the scenes?  

Anyway, I've been successfully backing up to a 2TB Western Digital Elements USB drive, but it takes about 18 hours to do an image backup.  This is a little off-topic, but I don't see why Windows can't use the same backup tech that's built into Windows Home Server.  It's speedy and reliable.

--- Uwe
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Note that even without the creation of a system image, on Windows Server 2008 R2 the backup doesn't work AT ALL.

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Is there a way to verify that the backup worked? In my Folder Explorer, I see a backup icon/file sized at 0 bytes.  The "Backup/Restore" program says it successfully backs up every night, but beyond that I'm not sure. Where are the files stored? So I can verify that it's backed up
    Friday, July 29, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Add me to the list. I manage 3 different sbs2008 server's & this error has begun occuring on two of the systems. The fact that the backup has worked with the exisiting external hard drives for months would discount a compatability issue with the drives. It must seems to be related to an update to me.

It also appears that the issue is only related to the "Data" drive & not the drive containing the OS so it would not be related to the "system state" issue.

Regards, Scott
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Hello JazIT

Check the following articles to see if you are encountering the issue with sector size on the drives

2510009 Information about Microsoft support policy for large-sector drives in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2510009

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;982018
    For this one see issue 6 where it talks about using fsutil

post the output after running fsutil on the drive you are backing up to.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

I have a question regarding this.

Wouldn't the fact that the C: partition is backed up mean that the drive is compatible? My issue is only with the E: partition not being backed up.

Scott

Regards, Scott
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Hello,

The error message can possibly mean other things, this is one thing to check.

It's the target drive that we are concerned about, where the backup is being stored not the volume being backed up..

the output will help us determine that if the sector size is the issue or not.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Darrell,

I also have the same problem. I just purchased a Seagate 3 TB GoFlex external drive and it gives this same error when I try to do an image backup using Win 7. The problem is not computer specific. I get the same errors on 4 different computers running Win 7.

I can do image backup using Seagates (Acronics) software without error and I can also do backups with Win 7 Backup and Restore using an older Seagate Free Agent 500 GB drive.

I talked to James (Seagate technical support) yesterday and he thinks the problem is related to large volume disk usage. I am looking at Microsoft article 982018 that discusses Advanced Format Disks and an update that is available.

Hope this helps. It appears that this is a drive sector translation problem and the article mentioned above my help address the problem.

Marvin

Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

I replaced the external hard drive with another & so far there have been no issues. One issue with the target hard drive being tested is that it cannot be seen as a drive letter whilst SBS backup is using it, meaning that it will be formatted again when it is included into the backup set again. I will test the two problem drives, now that the backup is working on another drive.

Scott

Regards, Scott
    Monday, September 05, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hello Marvin,

See this article:

2510009 Information about Microsoft support policy for large-sector drives in Windows

To verify what type of disk you have do the following:

1. Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018
    2. Run the following command from elevated command prompt:

Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo x: [where x: is the drive you are checking]

3. Then use the values for “Bytes Per Sector” and “Bytes per Physical Sector” to determine the type of drive you have

Report back with the output:

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Hello JazzIT,

See this article:

2510009 Information about Microsoft support policy for large-sector drives in Windows

To verify what type of disk you have do the following:

1. Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018
    2. Run the following command from elevated command prompt:

Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo x: [where x: is the drive you are checking]

3. Then use the values for “Bytes Per Sector” and “Bytes per Physical Sector” to determine the type of drive you have

Report back with the output:

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:24 AM
  • I ran everything as you suggested and this is what I rec'd below, can you please help.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tom>Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo z:
    NTFS Volume Serial Number :       0x4670f5b270f5a8b7
    Version :                         3.1
    Number Sectors :                  0x000000002baa0a1f
    Total Clusters :                  0x000000002baa0a1f
    Free Clusters  :                  0x00000000116ec72c
    Total Reserved :                  0x0000000000000000
    Bytes Per Sector  :               4096
    Bytes Per Physical Sector :       <Not Supported>
    Bytes Per Cluster :               4096
    Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 4096
    Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 1
    Mft Valid Data Length :           0x0000000046200000
    Mft Start Lcn  :                  0x00000000000c0000
    Mft2 Start Lcn :                  0x0000000015d5050f
    Mft Zone Start :                  0x000000000fc8d100
    Mft Zone End   :                  0x000000000fc92080
    RM Identifier:        04CC8585-D698-11E0-AD54-006073F27F51

C:\Users\Tom>

Monday, September 12, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Hello,

You bytes per sector are at 4096, so you will get that error message.

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:05 PM
  • So what can I do now to get this drive to work wih windows backup in W7?

Monday, September 12, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Hello,

Your Bytes per Sector need to be at 512 bytes as does the physical sector size to be able to work.

Monday, September 12, 2011 11:38 PM
  • I can not do that without affecting the utility of the Seagate Go Flex Desk 3TB drive. Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:58 AM
  • I have read the articles as provided by Microsoft.  To understand that I'm reading them correctly is that there is no current fix for Windows 7.0 Backup/Restore to allow me to use my 3TB hard drive with 4K logical sector sizes.   Although, 4K logical sector sizes are becoming more common place.

Is this not now a design shortcoming in Windows 7.0?  Is there a permanent fix coming via patch or servicepack?

Could a Microsoft Employee please look into this and tell us if this shortcoming will be corrected in the near future. 

Thansk,

Alex

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:24 PM
  • I have Win7 and a 3TB WD MyBook drive via USB and get the same error.  With prices at Best Buy now down to $129, I have to imagine millions of people will be buying the same drive.  Is there any fix to get backups to work?
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:42 PM
  • Agreed.  We need to know if a solution coming next 90 days?  Otherwise I have to buy a new hard drive.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Hello,

This has been posted before on this thread: See the article for the support policy.

2510009 Information about Microsoft support policy for large-sector drives in Windows

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:51 AM
  • We got it working by setting Volume Shadow Copy service to start automatically and marked check box  "allow to interact with desktop"
    • Edited by Allan Aari Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:06 PM
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Hitachi 3TB drive and I get the error everyone is having right when win7 backup tries to make the system image. I tried the VSS service settings as suggested above with no luck. I can backup fine without trying to create a system image.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Darrell,

Thank you for all of your help.

I have this same issue.

• Windows 7 Pro SP1
    • WD MyBook 3 TB

When i ran the "Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo" i see:

Bytes Per Physical Sector :       4096

So clearly this is an AFD disk.  Unfortanately the fix you were pointing us to (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018) was already incldued in SP1 ... which means my machine already includes it.

Furthermore that article indicated that the patch was only for 512e HD formats.  If i understand the sFsutil output correctly, my WD MyBook use both 4KB logical & physical sector sizes (4K Native format) which is NOT supported by windows.

Is this correct?

Best regards,

Carlos

Saturday, October 08, 2011 5:33 PM
  • For WD Drives, there is a "WD Quick Formatter tool" that can format your drive to be compatible with the 512 size that Windows requires.  The details are here:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6618/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxMzUzNzc5My9zaWQvT1hrMSpJQms%3D
    • Proposed as answer by Jacques.Smit Friday, October 14, 2011 11:01 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Thanks @MyNameIsNotBill...

Converting the drive did the trick.. :)  Thanks

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:01 AM
  • So, can I assume this WD software

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3868

will work on my Seagate GoFlex 3TB drive as well - if all it's doing is formatting the drive?

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:52 PM
  • The error is likely due to your system recovery partition. Many Windows OEM installations come with a 200MB recovery partition for restores, etc. To do a Windows backup this partition will need to be about 2x that.

This reason for this, is that as Windows writes the backup it saves a "ghost image" inside the partition it is currently backing up. If you do not have as much free space as filled space then the backup will encounter errors. It cannot create an image file because there is not enough room in the partition.

To fix this make sure you have a Windows Recovery Disk. If you don't you can create one in Backup  and Restore. I would also recommend an Ubuntu Live disk. You will be using a utility called GParted. You can also download a GParted boot disk, however Ubuntu Live has an easy to use GUI.

Boot into your Ubuntu Live disk and click "Try Ubuntu" after the files are loaded into memory. Go to System > Administration > GParted. When GParted opens you should see your primary Windows installation and 200MB bootable partition just in front of it. The first step is to shrink your Windows partition by about 300MB. Simply right-click the partition and "Move/Resize." Drag the left side over by about 300 MB. After this go to the boot partition and, again, resize it. Drage the right side of the partition all the way to the right to incorporate the extra space you have just freed up. Close the windows and go to Edit > Apply Changes. It will take about an hour depending on the size of your Windows disk. After this done restart your system and the Ubuntu Disk will slide out. Remove it and reboot. You will probably not be able to boot into Windows because the Master Boot Record will now need fixing. Simply insert your Windows Recovery Disk and restart. When prompted to boot from disk press any key. Select Command Line from the repair options.Enter the following commands:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Now run Startup Repair.

You will now be able to reboot into Windows and backup to an external disk.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:28 PM
  • I have a seagate drive.  The fix was simply formatting in extFAT with the smaller sector size.  
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:46 PM
  • I have the same problem with a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 3TB -- error 0x8078002A on Backup. The Western Digital utility will probably not work for the Seagate. http://www.cmoullas.net/windows-backup-error-0x8078002a-2-5tb-3tb-wd-drives/ The utility does the following for a WD drive:

This is how the drive appears out of the box:

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo H:
    Bytes Per Sector : 4096
    Bytes Per Physical Sector : <Not Supported>
    Bytes Per Cluster : 4096
    Bytes Per FileRecord Segment : 4096

This is how the drive appears after the “Factory Default” format:

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo H:
    Bytes Per Sector : 512
    Bytes Per Physical Sector : <Not Supported>
    Bytes Per Cluster : 4096
    Bytes Per FileRecord Segment : 1024

So I suppose one could format the Seagate with the same settings to get around the problem. I don't know if this is possible with the Windows formatter or I would need another program.

However, I have decided to just break up the Seagate into two partitions (2TB & 1TB). I am now formatting the 2TB with Windows formatter. The formatting has been running now for 12 hours and is still just 75% done. Hopefully Backup will work on this partition.

------ " as Windows writes the backup it saves a "ghost image" inside the partition it is currently backing up. If you do not have as much free space as filled space then the backup will encounter errors" ----- I wonder if Unix people just make this stuff up or they really believe that Windows works this way.

• Edited by jpank Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:52 PM
  • The format that I said I started in my last message just finished. It took about 18 hours to format 2TB. I ran Backup and selected to just create a system image. It failed immediately with the following error:

"One of the backup files could not be created. (ox8078002A)
    Additional Information:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)"

I also have another problem now. The other 1TB of the drive is unavailable. DIsk Management shows the space as unallocated but all of the options to create a volume are grayed out and unavailable.

When I run "Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo P:", I see:

Bytes Per Physical Sector :       <Not Supported>

Perhaps I should have set the sector size to 512 when I formatted.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:14 PM
  • I used EaseUS Partition Master to put back my two unallocated spaces into one.

I next tried formatting the disk using GDT instead of MBR. But when I tried to do a system image onto this, Backup told me that GDT was not supported.

I tried a backup of just my data partitions. This worked with no problems. So it seems that there is just a problem with doing system images.

I found this very interesting comment from a Vikas Ranjan from Microsoft:  

Hi,

We have enabled 4k Sector size Disk support in Windows 8 backup solution. In Win8 Server you can take backup to > 2 TB disks with 4k sector size.

Win8 Server Developer Preview is available at MSDN here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/

We would like to hear from end users about their experience.

Note: This is not a promotional request. Please reply back if you face any issues in using 4k Sector size disks with Win8 Server backup. This is also applicable for System Image Backup in Win8 Client OS.

Regards,

Vikas Ranjan

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/windowsbackup/thread/889b01be-d333-4fc7-b005-e12b7b236ad7

So unless Seagate will provide a similar utility to that from Western Digital, it appears that we have to wait for support in Windows 8. I wish I had not already thrown away the packaging from the disk. I would return it for a WD.

The windows format command allow changes to the number of tracks, number of sectors and allocation unit size. The WD utility changes Bytes-Per-Sector from 4096 to 512 and the Bytes-per-Cluster from 4096 to 1024. Can anyone figure out what settings one would use on the format command to yield these values?

• Edited by jpank Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:16 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

I answered my own question above about how to use the format command to simulate what the WD utility does:

EaseUS Partition Master gives me the following for the 3TB disk:

Physical Sectors                           732566645

Sectors Per Track                         63

Cylinders                                      45600

Heads                                           255

I would need to make the following changes to match what the WD utility does:

Currently                 WD settings

Bytes Per Sector                     4096                        512

Bytes Per Cluster                    4096                        1024

I can change tracks per disk size, sectors per track and allocation size. Allocation Size is the same as Bytes Per Cluster. So I need to change:

Allocation Size to                   1024

Sectors Per Track to               63 * (4096 / 512) = 504

So the format command would be:

Format X: /FS:NTFS /V:VolumeLabel /A:1024 /N:504

I don’t know if I actually want to try this command at this time. I am able to back up my data to the new drive and I can do my image backups to another internal drive. Bu please, if someone tries this, please let me know the outcome.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:58 PM
  • @jpank

I tried the command and I obtained this result:

Must enter both /t and /n parameters.

FYI I have a Seagate 3TB drive

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Ok, I tried the following command:

FORMAT E: /FS:NTFS /V:BACKUP /A:1024 /N:504 /T:63

Return: Parameters not Compatible

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Elomeli,

Thanks for trying it.

/t is number of tracks. The number of tracks should remain the same as before. The GoFlex drive originally had 732566645 sectors with 63 sectors per track. Therefore total tracks is 732566645 / 63 = 1.1628E7. The number of heads is 255. Therefore the number of tracks per head (or side)  is 1.1628E7 / 255 = 45,600

Therefore the format command should be:

Format X: /FS:NTFS /V:VolumeLabel /A:1024 /N:504 /T:45600

Friday, October 21, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Sorry, same outcome. "Parameters not Compatible"
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:14 PM
  • I made the assumption in my calculations that the number of tracks per side remains the same. From a "real" prospective of looking at the physical disk, this is true.  But looking at the Wikipedia article on CHS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder-head-sector) , it says that for virtual CHS geometries, the sectors per tracks remains at 63.

If we put sectors per track to 63, then tracks per side would be 8 * 45,600 = 364,800.

Could you try:

Format X: /FS:NTFS /V:VolumeLabel /A:1024 /N:63 /T:364800

Friday, October 21, 2011 5:47 PM
  • *** CORRECTION TO THAT LAST COMMAND ***

We need to add "/Q" to the command. Otherwise after the format command tells the disk controller what CHS geometry to use, it will attempt to write zeroes to every single sector on the disk. Since it now thinks there are 732566645 * 8 = 5E9 sectors on the disk, it will try to do 5 followed by 9 zeroes of sequential writes to the disk which could take forever. Please try:

Format X: /FS:NTFS /Q /V:VolumeLabel /A:1024 /N:63 /T:364800  

It took me 16 hours to format a 2TB partition when it thought the sectors were 4k each. Now it thinks there are 8 times as many sectors on the disk. I believe that when it formats, it writes each sector seperately and checks the error code that comes back, in order to build it's bad sector table.

• Edited by jpank Saturday, October 22, 2011 2:42 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:25 AM
  • jpank, my Seagate Expansion external drive [USB 2.0, 3 TB] has a slightly different number of Sectors:

Number Sectors :                  0x000000002ba98073

732,528,755 Sectors / 63 Sectors Per Track = 11,627,440.5556 Tracks, which seems odd, due to being fractional.

I work at Microsoft, but not on Windows. This is a post as a user.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Jeremy,

My sector count, as reported by EaseUS, is 732566645. This divided by 63 is also fractional. What did you use to get the sector count? It seems these reported sector counts can not be correct. EaseUS reports:

Physical Sectors   732566645

Sectors Per Track   63

Cylinders   45600

Heads   255

63 * 45600 * 255 = 732564000 sectors

The calculations that I used for the format command ignored the total sector count and relied instead on the sectors per track, cylinders and heads. For a new sector size of 512 instead of 4096, and assuming the sectors per track remains at 63, gives us a new count for tracks per head of 364800.

Did anyone try the last format command above? I can't reformat my drive at this moment, but I would be very interested to know if this possibly could work.

Format X: /FS:NTFS /Q /V:VolumeLabel /A:1024 /N:63 /T:364800

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:16 PM