none
How to Remove "Internet Explorer (64-bit)" Shortcut from Windows 7 Start Menu

Question

• I am looking for a way of removing the "Internet Explorer (64-bit)" shortcut from the 'Start\All Programs' folder in a Windows 7 image.

Our customer wants us to remove the shortcut from our image which we are creating using MDT.

We have tried using Group Policy Preferences to delete the icon but have had no success.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Jonathan Conway | My blog: Conway's IT Blog | Twitter: jonconwayuk | Linkedin: Jonathan Conway

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator • MCP • MCSE 2003 • MCTS SCCM 2007, Windows 7 Config & Deploying • VCP

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:17 PM

All replies

• That's what I'm trying to assertain as part of finding a solution to this.

The shortcut is there by default when you install 64-bit Windows and I've tried removing it from "Default" user but that doesn't resolve the problem. So it looks like it is created by Windows Setup.

Jonathan Conway | My blog: Conway's IT Blog | Twitter: jonconwayuk | Linkedin: Jonathan Conway

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator • MCP • MCSE 2003 • MCTS SCCM 2007, Windows 7 Config & Deploying • VCP

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

How about prevent Internet Explorer from being pinned to Taskbar and Start Menu. You can try modify related registry to make Internet Explorer unavailable for pinning to the taskbar or for inclusion in the Start menu's MFU list.

More detail, you can refer this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378459(VS.85).aspx#exclusion_lists

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Hi,

How about prevent Internet Explorer from being pinned to Taskbar and Start Menu. You can try modify related registry to make Internet Explorer unavailable for pinning to the taskbar or for inclusion in the Start menu's MFU list.

More detail, you can refer this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378459(VS.85).aspx#exclusion_lists

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Thanks for your response but I've already seen that article. I'm afraid this isn't the issue - the taskbar has the 32-bit shortcut for Internet Explorer which we want to keep (i.e. we have no requirement to remove the taskbar item) and the 64-bit shortcut on the Start Menu isn't an MFU, it's a proper shortcut on the root of the "Start\All Programs" menu.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Please have a test with following steps, thanks for your time.

Delete the following to prevent the 64bit shortcuts from being created:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}\Stubpath

Delete the following to prevent the 32bit shortcuts from being created:
    HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}\Stubpath

Best Regards,
    Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Please have a test with following steps, thanks for your time.

Delete the following to prevent the 64bit shortcuts from being created:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}\Stubpath

Delete the following to prevent the 32bit shortcuts from being created:
    HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}\Stubpath

Best Regards,
    Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

I'd seen an article with this one before and when we tried the 64-bit key we found it caused issues with the 32-bit shortcuts! In the end we had to revert as the 64-bit key removed all of the IE9 entry points on the machine.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Could you please refer to following links for reference:

Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/08/pin-items-to-the-start-menu-or-windows-7-taskbar-via-script.aspx 

How To: Customize the Windows 7 Start Menu and Taskbar Using unattend.xml
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/03/16/how-to-customize-the-windows-7-start-menu-and-taskbar-using-unattend-xml.aspx

Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Could you please refer to following links for reference:

Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/08/pin-items-to-the-start-menu-or-windows-7-taskbar-via-script.aspx 

How To: Customize the Windows 7 Start Menu and Taskbar Using unattend.xml
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/03/16/how-to-customize-the-windows-7-start-menu-and-taskbar-using-unattend-xml.aspx

Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Hi Kevin.

I've seen both of these articles before unfortunately. They are both focused on "adding" items as opposed to removing them.<o:p></o:p>

I guess what I'm really looking for is someone who has actually accomplished what I am trying to achieve and who can demonstrate exactly how they did it.<o:p></o:p>

So far I am starting to think that this might not be possible to do.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Jonathan,

did you ever get this worked out? what problems were you having using Group Policy Preferences? how did you have it set up? i don't see that it initially deletes the shortcut when a user logs in to a machine for the first time, probably because the shortcut is created after the group policy preferences are run. but at the next refresh in ~90 minutes it should delete it, right?

nobody's mentioned running a good old login script to delete the shortcut. i think login scripts run last but i could be wrong.

del /F /Q "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer (64-bit).lnk"

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Hi @ all!

Just copy the string from

to

or modify the last one as followed: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ie4uinit.exe -UserIconConfig"

Roman.

• Proposed as answer by richmond132 Friday, September 21, 2012 5:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by richmond132 Friday, September 21, 2012 5:34 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 1:52 PM
  • I just did it using group policy preferences

User Configuration, Preferences,Windows Settings, Files

Create a new file and for the action select Delete and for Delete Files use this %ProgramsDir%\Internet Explorer (64-bit).lnk

• Proposed as answer by richmond132 Friday, September 21, 2012 5:38 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 5:38 PM
  • This does really work.  Just be patient with the initial log in.  The deletion of the 64bit link only happens after the second or subsequent log in.

Thanks for the find richmond132!

Cheers

~D

Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:00 PM
  • I have used small vbs script for that.

On Error Resume Next
    dim filesys
    Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 
    strUserName = objNetwork.UserName
    strFilePath = "C:\Users\" & strUserName  & "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer (64-bit).lnk"
    filesys.CreateTextFile strFilePath, True 
    If filesys.FileExists(strFilePath) Then
       filesys.DeleteFile strFilePath 
    End If 
    WScript.quit

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:38 PM
  • As Roman said

Just copy the string from

to

or modify the last one as followed: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ie4uinit.exe -UserIconConfig"

and there is additional step that you need to do. delete the shortcut from Default profile

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

I tried this today in the morning and it works, the shortcut doesn't appear for the new user who logs in. thanks to everyone who replied to this. it helped me a lot to figure it out and this my first post. please check it and let me know.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:16 PM
  • I endorse richmond132 solution: the key here is %ProgramsDir%\Internet Explorer (64-bit).lnk . I tested "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs etc. to no avail.

here's GPP variables syntax:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-en/library/cc753915.aspx

best regards

Adam

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:44 PM
  • I struggled with this problem as we had many users launching the 64-bit IE and then raising support calls because browser plugins weren't working.

I originally tried the registry key method suggested but deleting HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}\Stubpath stopped it creating any IE shortcuts at all!

I managed to fix this properly by using a Group Policy Preferences Registry GPO to "Update" HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}\Stubpath to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ie4uinit.exe -UserIconConfig"

For me this works correctly and creates only a 32-bit IE shortcut for a newly logged in user. Of course it does nothing for existing profiles (the but I think this is a superior solution for new PCs as the method posted below of deleting the shortcut takes 2/3 reboots to take effect (as the shortcut has to exist before it can delete it, this stops it being created at all).

Hope this helps someone!

• Edited by BenSBB Monday, February 11, 2013 5:56 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Coomber Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:30 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:56 PM