none
My Recycle Bin Exceeds the Maximum Size Setting

Question

• The custom Maximum Size setting for my Recycle Bin is currently set at 10240 MB (10 GB) for one of my external hard drives, but the current size of my Recycle Bin for that drive is almost 42 GB, way above what the max is supposed to be.  It looks like starting around July 17, old files stopped aging out whenever new ones were deleted and moved to the Recycle Bin. 

I was using the same max size setting for my internal hard drive and another external hard drive, but I wouldn't think that would affect the size of the recycle bin for the older drive that's having the problem, I assumed they were independent.  Just to make sure, I reduced the max size for the other two drives to 5120 MB but it didn't change anything.

Anyone have any idea why my Recycle Bin isn't automatically aging out old files anymore?  Thanks.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:02 PM Moved to more appropriate forum catagory (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Friday, November 09, 2012 9:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know older files are removed from the Recycle Bin when newer files are deleted and the Recycle Bin exceeds the maximum size allocated in Recycle Bin properties.

As you mentioned that “the current size of my Recycle Bin for that drive is almost 42 GB”, “my Recycle Bin is currently set at 10240 MB (10 GB)”, I suspect this 42GB may contain some older files from other drives.

You can make a test to check if your Recycle Bin work normally, please empty the Recycle Bin and delete some files more than 10GB from that external hard drive, then check the total size in Recycle Bin.

By the way, you can also make a test for internal drives.

For more information about How the Recycle Bin Stores Files, please see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136517

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:45 AM
  • I sorted my Recycle Bin by Original Location, it turns out that there were very few files in it from my internal hard drive or the other external hard drive, maybe 700 MB total.  I permanently deleted all of them, which dropped the size from 42.34 GB to 41.66 GB, all of which were originally located then deleted from the external drive (which is only supposed to keep 10 GB).  I then deleted several big files and the size is now up to 44.56 GB, all deleted from the external drive.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:28 PM