none
Registering custom dll using \syswow64\regsvr32.exe - MUST be local administrator - not just a menber of the administrator's group

Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to use \syswow64\regsvr32.exe to register a custom Visual FoxPro8 DLL which is dependent upon a few other Visual FoxPro8 DLLs. I have them all in the syswow64 and the system32 folders in 64 bit Win 7. I am running the command prompt as administrator and am logged in as a member of the administrators group. I receive an error message that the DLL was loaded but a component is missing so the registration fails. If I am logged in as THE local administrator, the same process works fine. Anyone know what this issue is all about? It seems as though it is some form of security issue?

Thank you,

Jim Sanford

Jim

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:03 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

From your description, I would like to say that the local built-in administrator has the highest user account privileges, and it is not controlled by the UAC because it has the higher privilege. The other accounts won't have the same privilege as the built-in administrator even if we add them into the local administrator group. Also, the built-in Administrator account does not run in Admin Approval Mode.

Base on the current situation, you may try to disable the UAC as a workaround.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, March 02, 2012 1:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by jimsanf Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:15 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:11 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Did you add this account to the local administrator group?

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Hi Sabrina and thank you for your time. Yes, I am logging in as a member of the administrators group.

Jim

Jim Sanford

Friday, February 17, 2012 1:01 PM
  •  

Hi,

From your description, I would like to say that the local built-in administrator has the highest user account privileges, and it is not controlled by the UAC because it has the higher privilege. The other accounts won't have the same privilege as the built-in administrator even if we add them into the local administrator group. Also, the built-in Administrator account does not run in Admin Approval Mode.

Base on the current situation, you may try to disable the UAC as a workaround.

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, March 02, 2012 1:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by jimsanf Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:15 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:11 AM
  •  

Hi,

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. 

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Hi Sabrina,

Thank you. I will post my results of trying your UAC suggestion as soon as I am able to get back to trying this.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Sanford

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I've been seen a growing number of calls after this past weekend regarding single user PC's w/Win7 running into registration issues. I cannot confirm for sure, but it seems an update has affected UAC settings. The only recourse I've been able to use is to open a command prompt window as admin, (Right click shortcut ->  "Run as Administrator"). If you weren't admin you couldn't do this, but you'll be able to, and you'll be able to register your dll I would suspect as well. 

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Thank you for your time, CubeXombi. I'm afraid I do this as a matter of habit anyway and this did not solve my issue. Of course, I can always stop what I am doing and log out to be sure to login as the local admin but I just think it should not be necessary.

Jim

Jim Sanford

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:21 PM
  •  

Hi Jim,

How about the status of the issue now? Does it work after turnned off the UAC?

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:12 AM
  • Sabrina,

I am sorry that I do not have anything to report on this effort yet. I surely do appreciate your follow-up.

I will report as soon as I have anything valuable to say.  :-)

Jim

Jim Sanford

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:06 PM
  • I did NOT mark any response here as an answer. Somone marked Sabrina's response of 2/20 as an answer. I do not know who did that.

Jim

Jim Sanford

Thursday, March 01, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Sabrina,

I can now report that logging in as a member of the Administrators group and turning off UAC (and then rebooting) does allow this registration to take place. I then turn UAC back on and reboot again.

Thank you all!

Jim

Jim Sanford

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:15 PM