none
Domain user set to temporary status and not letting it save the Profile

Question

• I'm trying to set up Window 7 Enterprise and when I set up my user account by right clicking on My Computer/Manage/Local Users and Groups/Groups and setting them up there (the way i have been doing it in XP for years), the profile will not save any of the settings.  You can set your desktop and save a file to My Documents, log out then log back in and it says Preparing your Desktop and nothing you set up is there including the saved file in My Documents (this was only a test files, no actual files were harmed during this procedure). You go into Control Panel/User Accounts/Configure advanced user profile properties and it says the status is Temporary.  The only thing i have been able to see on the web talks about a corrupt profile.  How can it be corrupt when i just created it.

Also i have searched this forum for an answer to no avail.  If this has already been answered please direct me there.

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Monday, August 10, 2009 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is the account you create a domain account or local computer account?

In Windows 7, we do not need to manually setup a domain account. When we log on with the domain account the first time, the profile will be create automatically. If there is a user with the same name exist, there are several possible result. It may create another account, for example, your name should be domain/user, the new created can be domain/user1. In some other situations, it may try to load the existed profile. If the profile cannot be loaded, a temporary profile will be generated.

Therefore, please do not manually create the account. Remove the profile, and boot with your domain account.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:44 AM