none
Upgrading Windows 7 to Ultimate using the Ultimate disk

Question

• I just bought a new desktop computer that came with Windows 7 home premium loaded.  I previously upgraded my old computer to Windows 7 Ultimate and have the disk for that upgrade.  How do I upgrade my new computer to Ultimate using that disk?  I tried to do it by inserting the disk, but that ultimately referred to Windows Anytime Upgrade.  I can not find a site that uses my disk to do the upgrade.  How do I do it?  Thanks for your help.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:46 PM

Answers

• You need to use Anytime Upgrade as the prompt told you.

Anytime Upgrade Using An Already Purchased Retail Pro/Ultimate Key

In Windows 7 Home Premium, type Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box in the Start menu and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon.  From there, you can enter your retail (Full or Upgrade) Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate product key and perform a simple upgrade. Online Anytime Upgrade is not available in all countries. All programs and files will stay on the computer, no disk is needed and it takes about 10 minutes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Since Ultimate was installed on another computer you might need to use phone activation.

If online activation fails:

Call Microsoft Using Manual Phone Activation

If you have trouble activating Windows 7 you can call Microsoft to activate by doing the following:
    1. With Windows running click Start, then in the Search box type:  slui.exe 4
    2. Press Enter on your Keyboard
    3. Select your Country.
    4. Select the Phone Activation option, then call the number given and hold for a real person.

For more details:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html

Also, if your copy of Ultimate is OEM - you can not move it from the old computer, you can only move retail copies.

Can You Move Windows 7 To A New Computer

If it's a retail Full or Upgrade license - yes. You can move it to a different computer as long as it's only installed on one computer at a time (and if it's a Windows 7 Upgrade version the new computer must have it's own qualifying XP/Vista/7 license). The previous Windows 7 installation on the old computer must be formatted/deleted. You might have to call Microsoft and explain what happened to complete the activation. Activating it on the second computer will automatically in effect "deactivate" the license for the first computer. The key will work with both 32 and 64 bit, but only one can be installed at a time.

If it's an OEM license - no. OEM licenses, including Windows preinstalled on a computer before purchase and Windows bought separately, are tied to the first computer they are installed on and can not be transferred to a different computer. To install Windows on a different computer you will need to buy another copy.

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:13 PM

All replies

• The Windows Anytime Upgrade is the method used to go from Home Premium to Ultimate.  Have you tried to use your Activation key using the Anytime Upgrade feature.  Tell the Anytime Upgrade you already have a key and enter it.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:10 PM
  • You need to use Anytime Upgrade as the prompt told you.

Anytime Upgrade Using An Already Purchased Retail Pro/Ultimate Key

In Windows 7 Home Premium, type Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box in the Start menu and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon.  From there, you can enter your retail (Full or Upgrade) Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate product key and perform a simple upgrade. Online Anytime Upgrade is not available in all countries. All programs and files will stay on the computer, no disk is needed and it takes about 10 minutes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Since Ultimate was installed on another computer you might need to use phone activation.

If online activation fails:

Call Microsoft Using Manual Phone Activation

If you have trouble activating Windows 7 you can call Microsoft to activate by doing the following:
    1. With Windows running click Start, then in the Search box type:  slui.exe 4
    2. Press Enter on your Keyboard
    3. Select your Country.
    4. Select the Phone Activation option, then call the number given and hold for a real person.

For more details:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html

Also, if your copy of Ultimate is OEM - you can not move it from the old computer, you can only move retail copies.

Can You Move Windows 7 To A New Computer

If it's a retail Full or Upgrade license - yes. You can move it to a different computer as long as it's only installed on one computer at a time (and if it's a Windows 7 Upgrade version the new computer must have it's own qualifying XP/Vista/7 license). The previous Windows 7 installation on the old computer must be formatted/deleted. You might have to call Microsoft and explain what happened to complete the activation. Activating it on the second computer will automatically in effect "deactivate" the license for the first computer. The key will work with both 32 and 64 bit, but only one can be installed at a time.

If it's an OEM license - no. OEM licenses, including Windows preinstalled on a computer before purchase and Windows bought separately, are tied to the first computer they are installed on and can not be transferred to a different computer. To install Windows on a different computer you will need to buy another copy.

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:13 PM