none
Windows 7 compatibilty with DOS programs and how to run dos. I cannot load Dos as i purchase 64 bit

General discussion

• i have talked to microsoft they say it can't be done ? is their and advise
    Friday, November 06, 2009 4:57 AM

All replies

• Natively, it's impossible to run 16 bit code on a 64bit OS. The only chance you have is to run it inside a VM. If you run Windows 7 Professional, go online and download Windows XP mode, which is essentially a 32bit XP VM. Inside of that VM you can run 16bit code (like DOS programs) again.

Hope that helps,

Daniel
    Friday, November 06, 2009 5:52 AM
  • dosbox... free and open source... works great even under x64
    Friday, November 06, 2009 3:07 PM
  • I got dosbox, but haven't figured out how to actually open and run a DOS program with it...any idea?
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:54 AM
  • thereis a config that you have to edit to specify where your paths are... there are shells that you can download that will do the config for you... but i cannot remember which one.  Google.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Its actually pretty easy... After you install DOSBox, launch it through the shortcut.
    You should be presented with a prompt Z:\>

To run your dos program the first thing you must do is mount the directory where the dos program is located.

For example: If your trying to run a program called twzero.exe and its located in c:\timewave\something\this Then in DOSBox simply type mount c:\timewave\something\this then hit enter.

Next you must change drives from Z:\ to C:\ by typeing c:\ then hitting enter.

now simply type in twzero.exe and hit enter, it should launch. It does run pretty slowly though but if you hold CTRL and hit F12 like 10 times it will be faster.

Hope This Helps.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Thanks for the info....Will this work if the program I'm attempting to run is on another computer via a network server?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:17 PM
  • How to run Turbo C in Dosbox?

I open turbo c but cant able to create output in it.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Every time I run dosbox it works fine for about a minute, then makes my whole computer flip from landscape to portrait orientation. Any ideas why that would be happening? Drivers, etc all updated/installed, happing on a fresh copy of 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    Jessie Holloway MCDST
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:38 AM
  • Natively, it's impossible to run 16 bit code on a 64bit OS. The only chance you have is to run it inside a VM. If you run Windows 7 Professional, go online and download Windows XP mode, which is essentially a 32bit XP VM. Inside of that VM you can run 16bit code (like DOS programs) again.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

I'm a former Digital Equipment employee. It sounds really strage to hear, from a former partner that developed a Virtual DOS Machine for OSF/1 (64-bit Unix flavor - it was even a FOREIGN OS for Microsoft) EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS AGO (1993) that ran DOS apps (even games) perfectly and even faster than an average i386 did by that time...

...that DOS Boxing and 64-bit OSes aren't compatible.

If it's not a lie, don't trust anyone else for good.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:02 PM
  • It can be done with ExDOS too, more fitted for software than DOSbox (which is for games). 

http://www.exdos.com

• Edited by Kendril Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:16 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Yes, you can. First map local drive letter to a network share in Windows and then map this Windows drive to a DosBox drive.

An alternative you could install the legacy Microsoft Client for DOS and the Microsoft TCP/IP stack for dos, but this won't be as easy the solution above.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:17 AM
  • YOU CAN USE GO2DOS UTILITY SOFTWARE TO RUN DOS APPLICATION INTO WINDOWS 7 OR 8 IN BOTH x86 OR 64 PLATFORM.

RUN DOS PROGRAM IN FULL SCREEN.

PRINTING ON DIRECTLY USB PORT.

you can purchase it from below website

www.siliconsoftwaresolution.com

s.d.kathiriya

Monday, December 24, 2012 1:59 PM
  • you can use modified dosbox like GO2DOS with printing facility....

refrence : www.siliconsoftwaresolution.com

s.d.kathiriya

Monday, December 24, 2012 2:00 PM