none
Windows 7 computer is stopping other computers from access unRaid box

General discussion

• ok, going to start from the beginning...

Got a new Radeon 7850 card and installed it.

System wouldn't boot after that with Ethernet cable inserted. (it would not even POST)

I tested the cable and even used another one. Soooo..

Installed a Netgear GA311 and system boots with cable inserted.

Soon as it tries to access the mapped drives on the NAS and reports its not accessible, all other machines on the network are no longer able to access the NAS properly.

It can still access the internet and other PC's on the network. I can ping any other system on the network just fine, but the NAS box is unreachable.

On the WinXP system it states Z:\ is not accessible. Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.

On Win8, it takes a minute (Never was slow before) and then opens the drive and works just fine.

On another Win7 machine it does the same as the Win8 system... slow to open and then it's fine.

There are no domain controllers on this network, nor any windows servers.

While using EMCO's Ping monitor, the NAS will have a 40% connection uptime while the win7 machine is plugged into the network and 100% when disconnected.

All the other PC's work fast and efficient accessing the NAS if the problem Win7 machine has not been started since it is mapped to the NAS and at startup it tries to connect.

Of course I can disconnect the mapped drives and everything will be fine on all other systems...

But that machine is my main system and needs access to the NAS.

I appreciate any ideas since this is driving me crazy.

Thanks

*********SOLVED********

I did a lot of ping testing with EMCO's Ping Monitor and finally replced the GA311 with another one I had and everything is working normal again.

Not sure why the NIC would knock the NAS off the network, but it's fixed.

Thanks

********SOLVED********

Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:23 PM

All replies

• I suspect the motherboard is failing and causing your problems.

There is no way a video card should affect any Ethernet connection.

You need to have some in depth diagnostics performed on the offending motherboard.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, March 03, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to it hear everything is now working fine!

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:44 AM