none
Windows 7 Movie Screensaver

Question

• Does anyone know what happen to the pic/movie screensaver (that was in Vista). I really liked that my Vista screen saver would display pics as well as my mpg(s)... Windows 7 just does not have it? Thanks, Tom.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:31 PM

Answers

• If you are referring to the 'Dreamscene' feature which was part if Vista Ultimate Extras, then it has been removed from Windows 7.  It's not hard to add it back, however, as this article explains:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/14/how-to-install-and-enable-dreamscene-in-windows-7/
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:16 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi tommich,

The feature you mentioned called DreamScene as Techwrighter mentioned. Since this feature eats a lot system sources, it has been removed from Windows 7. However, if you still would like to use the video file as screen saver, you can download third party screen saver from the internet. Please search screensaver as the keyword from the internet and you shall find a lot of screensaver download websites. Or, use the workaround in the link provided by Techwrighter to add DreamScene in Windows 7.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:28 AM
  • thanks for the quick response. I am not sure if i am talking about Dreamscene or not. Dreamscene seems to be desktop backgound enhancements.. Does Dreamscene modify screensaver funtionality?
    Hi Tommich

If you have Windows Live Photo Gallery installed there is a screen saver included that will show Videos.

Right click the Desktop and select Personalize/Screen Saver.

Click the drop down menu and select Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Click the Settings button.

Select the 'Use photos and videos from' option.

Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder that contains the videos.

Click the Save button.

Click the Preview button to see the results.

If you do not have Windows Live Photo Gallery installed, you can download/install it from the following website.

Windows Live Essentials free software

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• If you are referring to the 'Dreamscene' feature which was part if Vista Ultimate Extras, then it has been removed from Windows 7.  It's not hard to add it back, however, as this article explains:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/14/how-to-install-and-enable-dreamscene-in-windows-7/
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:17 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:54 PM
  • thanks for the quick response. I am not sure if i am talking about Dreamscene or not. Dreamscene seems to be desktop backgound enhancements.. Does Dreamscene modify screensaver funtionality?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Well, I am using 7 enterprise and its part of the default install.  Right click on an empty part of the desktop and choose Personalize.  Click on Screensaver in the bottom right and choose Photos.  Not sure about the Mpg bit.  I have also installed the Windows Live Photo Gallery and that is an option in the list of things to select as well.

Do you see the same options tommich?
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Hi tommich,

The feature you mentioned called DreamScene as Techwrighter mentioned. Since this feature eats a lot system sources, it has been removed from Windows 7. However, if you still would like to use the video file as screen saver, you can download third party screen saver from the internet. Please search screensaver as the keyword from the internet and you shall find a lot of screensaver download websites. Or, use the workaround in the link provided by Techwrighter to add DreamScene in Windows 7.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:28 AM
    Hi Tommich

If you have Windows Live Photo Gallery installed there is a screen saver included that will show Videos.

Right click the Desktop and select Personalize/Screen Saver.

Click the drop down menu and select Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Click the Settings button.

Select the 'Use photos and videos from' option.

Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder that contains the videos.

Click the Save button.

Click the Preview button to see the results.

If you do not have Windows Live Photo Gallery installed, you can download/install it from the following website.

Windows Live Essentials free software

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:35 AM
  • I have Windows Live Photo Gallery and when I browse for video I have saved it is not even showing the video in the folder.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Try This :

Microsoft Video Screensaver (International Edition)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6405ff4f-9bc4-40dd-aa30-ed4ffe02baac&displaylang=en
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:55 PM