none
Upgrade from XP 32-bit to Win 7 64 bit?

Question

• I have XP Pro 32-bit.  I also have the Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade (both 32-bt and 64-bit CD's).  I want to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit.  It won't let me start the Upgrade with the 64-bit CD. Does this mean I cannot upgrade to 64bit?  Thank you.
    Monday, December 26, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

• No.  You need to have a qualifying Windows XP or Windows Vista operating system installed if you have a Windows 7 upgrade license.  Otherwise, you'll be unable to enter the product key and activate.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by bdids Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:14 PM

All replies

• As long as you have a 64-bit processor, you can install the 64-bit version of Windows 7.  Please download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Also see: Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Monday, December 26, 2011 5:55 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 4:53 PM
  • I have XP Pro 32-bit.  I also have the Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade (both 32-bt and 64-bit CD's).  I want to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit.  It won't let me start the Upgrade with the 64-bit CD. Does this mean I cannot upgrade to 64bit?  Thank you.

Keep in mind that you cannot do an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. 

Therefore, you'll have to do a migration per Microsoft's techniques to do so. 

I use and recommend you use Windows Easy Transfer on your XP machine, and then wipe and install your Windows 7 installation fresh. 

It will help you retain the majority of your user settings, and if you have Office products installed it moves all your settings over for those products (like Outlook e-mail and PST file).  It makes it MUCH more painless to upgrade.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer  <- Easy Tranfer Info.

• Proposed as answer by DunkG Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:58 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 5:57 PM
  • "...and then wipe and install your Windows 7 installation fresh. "    This means I cannot use the Upgrade CD I have.  I need a full Version?   Thanks for responding!!
    William Didsbury
    Monday, December 26, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

First, you need to check whether the processor supports 64 bit. Meantime, Windows 7 cannot support upgrading directly from Windows XP, so you should wipe and install Windows 7 fresh.

Also, for Licence question, you may make a call to Microsoft Support for assistance.

Http://support.microsoft.com

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:21 AM
  • When you say "...install Windows 7 fresh",  can I install "fresh" from my Upgrade CD or do I need to get a full version CD?  Thanks
    William Didsbury
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:17 PM
  • No.  You need to have a qualifying Windows XP or Windows Vista operating system installed if you have a Windows 7 upgrade license.  Otherwise, you'll be unable to enter the product key and activate.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by bdids Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Thank you all for responding
    William Didsbury
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:24 PM