none
Hardware-Assisted Virtualization

Question

• I'm a beginning user who is supposed to make sure Hardware-Assisted Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS.  I can't find that place. Search doesn't seem to know have avery good map. I'm lost trying to boot Virtual Windows XP for Windows 7.  Is there hope?  Sincerely, robertleekumpf@live.com
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Every bios is different. What make of machine do you have, what bios do you have? I have three different bioses on three different machines. With two machines, I went through almost every option until I found it.

On a Dell, look under POST Behavior to find the Virtualization setting.

On a machine with Phoenix AwardBIOS, I used this procedure:

1. Selected Advanced BIOS Features and pressed the enter key.
    2. On the Advanced BIOS Features menu, highlighted Press Enter (the one to the right of CPU Feature) and hit the enter key.
    3. On the CPU Feature menu, selected the menu item to the right of Virtualization Technology and hit the enter key.
    4. On the Virtualization Technology submenu, selected Enabled and hit the enter key.

On another machine with a different Phoenix AwardBIOS, I never found the setting. If you want to know if a machine is enabled for hardware virtualization, use Securable, which you can obtain from here: http://www.grc.com/securable.htm
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Hi,
    Can you please share the system specs - brand, model etc.  As John has pointed out below, there is no standard place where this setting can be found under - each BIOS vendor tends to put this under a diff tab.  Based on the model and brand, someone in this forum may be able to help you.

Thanks, Praveen "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Or just install Sun Virtual Box for free and does not require the VT option which MS REQUIRES. (Other VM technology do not)
    Monday, July 06, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi

Can you please share the information as asked above ? We need to hear from you within 3 days or we will need to close this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Nitin
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 12:34 PM
  • I'm closing the thread as per info above.
    In case there is more information, please unmark this answer.

Thanks
    Nitin
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:34 PM