none
Start Menu / Taskbar Pinning Disappeared?

Question

• I don't know when it precisely happened, but somehow the option to "pin" programs to the Windows taskbar has suddenly disappeared. The normal behavior of course, is when you right-click on almost any program shortcut and bring up the context menu, you should see options to pin the program either to the Start Menu or the Taskbar. Now, however, it's completely gone somehow. How do I fix this?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Seems this is caused by disabled pin program setting. You can follow these steps to check the setting.

Click star menu and type gpedit.msc in the search box, press enter. Then you will see Local Group Policy Editor form.

Click User Configuration ->Adiministrative Templates ->start menu and taskbar.

Find Remove pinned programs from the taskbar and Remove pinned programs list from the start menu in the setting list.

Have these two setting been setting to enable? If so, change the settings to disable or not configured, this will let the “pin” item show again.

The following is an article about Pinned Taskbar Programs in Windows 7.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-pinned-taskbar-programs-in-windows-7/

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ling Wang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:42 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:32 AM

All replies

• I read your last thread, and you changed some Start menu settings. Look through the settings you changed and see if you accidentally turned the pin to taskbar item off.

Workaround: Drag program shortcut to taskbar and release mouse button.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:20 PM
  • "Pin to TaskBar item"? There's no such thing. Please clarify. I even tried dragging a shortcut from the desktop to the taskbar, but it won't let me do it. I just get a red circle with a slash through-it indicator.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:16 AM
  • OK exactly what Start menu settings did you change?

I know there is no such thing as that setting, but maybe you turned off another setting that allows / is a major factor in taskbar pinning?

Obviously I didn't explain my point very well in the last post, sorry!
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Okay, respectfully, that's impossible and more importantly "irrelevant" for me to say. Look through all the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties yourself. There is absolutely NOTHING listed in there which has anything to do with pinning, nor should have any effect on pinning. I theorize some sort of registry setting got manipulated because of a program I might have installed. I need someone's feedback with insight where they know what their talking about with solid evidence, and not just guessing.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Seems this is caused by disabled pin program setting. You can follow these steps to check the setting.

Click star menu and type gpedit.msc in the search box, press enter. Then you will see Local Group Policy Editor form.

Click User Configuration ->Adiministrative Templates ->start menu and taskbar.

Find Remove pinned programs from the taskbar and Remove pinned programs list from the start menu in the setting list.

Have these two setting been setting to enable? If so, change the settings to disable or not configured, this will let the “pin” item show again.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-pinned-taskbar-programs-in-windows-7/

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ling Wang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:42 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Ling Wang, I greatly appreciate your input in this matter. I checked the appropriate settings you referred me to, but unfortunately it would appear that both of the "Remove pinned programs..." settings are already in a "Not configured" state. In fact, all the settings under "User Configuration ->Adiministrative Templates ->Start Menu and Taskbar" are in a "Not configured" state. Let me know if you have any other insights or instructions.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Some system icons cannot be pinned to the new taskbar - why? I don't know, but one workaround that works for me is to create an artificial "quick launch" toolbar. I right click on the taskbar and go to new toolbars >> new toolbar and navigate to

J:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

and select the folder "quick launch",

unlock the taskbar and deselect "show title " and "show text", drag it all the way to the left hand side

and now I have two taskbars for the price of one, one for previews and whatnot and the other for pinning and one click multiple launch.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Mr. Seven, I did contemplate this method as a temporary measure since the pinning feature disappeared on me. However, this does not solve the problem. I want the ability to pin programs and such back. It should have never disappeared in the first place, and the fact that it did somehow disappear therefore creates a genuine bug in the operating system which needs to be resolved.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Yup. I hate workarounds but with this operating system am pressured into using them to retain the faster performance and copying ability and others perks but I agree the inclusion of libraries seems to have made pinning less flexible for the fact that the taskbar is not a simple folder structure as it used to be but complex code order to implement the new features. There is another trick to pinning certain items without quick lunch. That is quick launch.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Have you changed the setting?

I suggest you to change the setting to enable, disable, not configured and see if this will make some changes.

Best regards,

Ling Wang

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Have you changed the setting?

I suggest you to change the setting to enable, disable, not configured and see if this will make some changes.

Best regards,

Ling Wang

I tried changing the setting of the items in question that you specified from their status of "Not configured" to "Disabled", but no change.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 11:12 PM
  • I am having a similar difficulty. I have bean attempting to pin a folder (not a shortcut) and seperately an internet shortcut to the taskbar and all I see is this peculiar red circle with a diagonal lin through it. Most unusual.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Today I have fenced with this issue as well. the gpedit.msc  solutions doesn't work at all.
    And there is no switch in all windows to change this...

I don't know what happened that, I have never had it before when I was on 32bit RC.. now when I am on 64bit RTM since few days...
    this cr*p happened.
    Any solution to pinning taskbar issue?
    (It is surely something in regedit... but what is it? which key is responsible?)

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:18 PM
  • I had the same problem. looked at a lot of solutions that didn't seem to work.
    then I stumbled across the fact that it wont let you pin folders to the taskbar unless "store and display recently opened programs in the start menu" is enabled.

right-click start menu --> Properties
    turned on "store and display recently opened programs in the start menu"

Done. folders now pin the the taskbar

hope this helps.

Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:37 PM
  • I have the same problem. The policy edit that Ling Wang mentioned were not changed yet the "pin to taskbar" option disappeared some while ago.
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:20 AM
  • One strange thing I discovered when I try to pin control panel to the taskbar I get a red circle with a diagonal line unless I first open control panel and drag the icon at the left of the address bar to the open program indicator for control panel in the taskbar and there you have it.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

Click User Configuration ->Adiministrative Templates ->start menu and taskbar .

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ling Wang

In Windows7 x64 Home Premium, there is no "gpedit.msc ".

On mine I get the ability to pin to the Taskbar, and the shortcut gets placed into the "C:\Users\User's Name Here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" -BUT- the program never is seen on the taskbar (even after a reboot).

There are three other programs that are on the taskbar, are in that above shortcut, yet I when adding icons to his folder they have yet to be displayed on the taskbar itself.

Have opened Outlook 2003's folder for instance, shift+right-clicked the actual exe program, and told it to Pin to Taskbar. Only a shortcut gets added to the User Pinned > Taskbar, yet the program is never actually seen on the taskbar.

So how does one add a program to the Taskkar if pinning fails, and so does the shortcuts to the folder?

Sunday, July 04, 2010 3:56 AM
  •  Like jmine83, the icons on my taskbar (though not the context menu option to add programs to the taskbar)  mysteriously disappeared today.  I'd really like to know the cause for this, as well.   I haven't done anything to the registry today: no installs, no uninstalls, no setting changes, nothing. For now, I've implemented Defcon's workaround (thanks Defcon)!  But it is not a solution, especially since open applications/windows have also disappeared from the taskbar.  Now I must open Task Manager to see which programs are running and to navigate between minimized windows.  Very troubling and a big time waster.  If anyone out there has an answer, I'd appreciate it.  
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I have the same Start Menu problem but with Vista x64. Some place in the updating the display on the Start menu has dissapeared and I do not seem to be able to go into the properties and turn things back on. Each time I do this the setting are rest to the previous ones and noting happens. It was working just fine until this last update session and now a flag somewhere is turned off that I can not find. Yes I tried the "Local Group Policy Edit" suggestions but it still doesn't work. Also I can not find the "Remove Pinned Programs List from the Start Menu" can not find the Task bar entry. All the entries were already set to Not Configured.
    Monday, October 04, 2010 5:25 PM