none
How to reinstall IE8 on windows 7

Question

• I uninstalled IE8... was having to many issues. I downloaded IE8 and it wont install correctly due to similar error message... Library error message...
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:25 AM

Answers

• You cannot uninstall IE8 in Windows 7, you can only remove access to it.

KB957700 does not apply to Windows 7.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:12 PM
  • How does one unhide ie8?

You can unhide/re-enable access to/turn-on IE8 via Turn Windows features on or off.
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:00 PM

All replies

• You cannot uninstall IE8 in Windows 7, you can only remove access to it.

KB957700 does not apply to Windows 7.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:12 PM
  • How does one unhide ie8?  I seem to be in the same boat.  running win 7, "hid" ie8 and now wish to try it again.
    thanks in advance, Dave
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:09 PM
  • How does one unhide ie8?

You can unhide/re-enable access to/turn-on IE8 via Turn Windows features on or off.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Two things I learned from other sites that helped me with my issues with IE8 on windows 7.  Updates were also not working because IE8 was having issues with connecting to the internet even though I could connect through other browsers.

1. To hide/unhide go to control panel, programs, and then click the option in the top left that says "turn windows features on or off"  Internet explorer is one of those options.  Make sure the box is checked.

2. To fix the issue I was having with IE8 I ran IE8 then selected tools, internet options and then the advance tab.  Click on "reset" and it'll reset IE8 to default options.

IE8 is now working and windows updates work as well.  Good luck!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:03 PM
  • To fix the issue I was having with IE8 I ran IE8 then selected tools, internet options and then the advance tab.  Click on "reset" and it'll reset IE8 to default options.

FYI:

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-Internet-Explorer

HOW TO Reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings 

How do I reset Windows Update components?
    [Ignore the APPLIES TO section; run the Fix It in Default and Aggressive modes]
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

IMPORTANT! => Access KB971058 via IE8 32-bit, not any other browser.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:04 PM
  • I have similar problem, but mine has another twist. My turn Windows Features on / off box is completely empty, so cannot change the hide / unhide option. When reinstalling IE9 get a catastrophic error. If I try to install ie8 again, get "unsupported version" . Windws 7 pro 32 bit .

MAny thanks for any assistance.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:40 AM
  • @Louis_c, I fixed this issue by running "Windows Update" on windows 7, which helps you get IE8 back. 
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:36 PM
  • ok, win 7, HP dv6, had IE8, it sets up 9 by itself on a update...9 is horrible for me, tried to do all the mention things but it appears I no longer have ANY IE on here....thought that was impossible tho. I need my 8 back, but says windows version not supported...there is no 9 nor 8 on this right now

thanks

Max Meyers

IE desktop icon is there, but then searching for iexplorer.exe window comes up, then says cant find and would I like to delete icon.....for years been trying to remove this cursed IE off machines, knowing its integrated, but now somehow I managed to remove both 8 & 9 on this now
    • Edited by Hollywould Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:31 PM
  • I am having the same problem on my HP dv6, which came with IE8 and when my computer udated itself to IE9, I have had nothing but problems. I have looked over all responses and tried some of them but nothing works.

When I un-install IE9 there are no other versions that I can find on my computer. It does not revert back to IE8 plus under Turn Windows features on or on, only IE9 is listed. No one I have found has come up with a solution to our problem. IE9 sucks.

Thanks

Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Christina - Please stick to your other thread.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:19 PM