none
error code 0xc0000225

Question

• I was given a laptop to take a look at with hopes I could fix it. However I'm running into issues, and for some reason I can't figure out next steps.

When the computer boots, it goes right to the screen saying 'PC needs to be repaired, with error code error code 0xc0000225

however, when I push F8 the screen just flashes back, It won't boot to disk at all, and won't let me do anything, just keeps popping that screen back up. So before I pull the HD to back up the stuff on it, I'd like to know if there is any possible way I can get in it to at least try to repair it. My initial plan was to rebuild the MBR, but I can't even get past that screen.

In researching, and in past experience, Windows 8 and 8.1 are supposed to automatically go to start up repair options. This is also not happening.

Help please...

Friday, January 31, 2014 2:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please know that status: 0xc0000225 means Windows cannot find the System Files used for booting. The causes may be the following things.

1. The System files are corrupt.

2. The disk File system has bad configuration.

3. Hardware fault.

To boot into Windows Recovery environment, we need the recovery image or partition in your computer or the installation disk.

First, I suggest contacting manufacturer to do a hardware testing.

Also, Let’s try to boot into WinRE by using recovery disk or bootable USB, then try to repair the system if you have Windows 8.

How to Create Bootable Windows 8 USB Drive from ISO Image

http://www.guidingtech.com/10026/create-bootable-windows-8-usb-drive-iso-image/

If you have Windows 8.1 media, we can also try to reset your system by using this.

We need to boot into BIOS to change the boot order to start from other media except local HDD, then we can enter WinRE.

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, February 02, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

We need to enter BIOS to change the boot order:

ASUS - p5b, a7v600, a7v8x, a8n, a8v, k8v, m2n, p5k, p5n, etc.
    Press Del right after starting the computer to enter BIOS.

Some other ASUS motherboards use Ins and some, like the p5bw-le, use F10 instead.

Otherwise, as Robert mentioned, find the manual book or contact AUSU support for help. 

Kate Li

Friday, February 07, 2014 3:09 AM

All replies

• And to clarify, I have gone through the other related posts, but they are of no use to me, as I can't get to any repair options, not the WindowsRE or command prompt... It's just weird...
    Friday, January 31, 2014 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

Please know that status: 0xc0000225 means Windows cannot find the System Files used for booting. The causes may be the following things.

1. The System files are corrupt.

2. The disk File system has bad configuration.

3. Hardware fault.

To boot into Windows Recovery environment, we need the recovery image or partition in your computer or the installation disk.

First, I suggest contacting manufacturer to do a hardware testing.

Also, Let’s try to boot into WinRE by using recovery disk or bootable USB, then try to repair the system if you have Windows 8.

How to Create Bootable Windows 8 USB Drive from ISO Image

http://www.guidingtech.com/10026/create-bootable-windows-8-usb-drive-iso-image/

If you have Windows 8.1 media, we can also try to reset your system by using this.

We need to boot into BIOS to change the boot order to start from other media except local HDD, then we can enter WinRE.

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li

Sunday, February 02, 2014 3:03 PM
  • I am able to access the drive and all the files externally through my Sata enclosure, which is how I ultimately backed up the data. I have a bootable disc, but it won't boot to the disk. It just boots to the error screen and gives me no other option. I have run a test on the actual hard drive and it appears to be fine. 

The laptop is out of warranty through ASUS by 2 weeks. When the owner called them, they told her they couldn't help her, but for 200$ she could send it to them to analyze. Unfortunately she is a full time student with 2 kids and doesn't have the money to do that. Hence why she called me as this is what I do, but this is the first time I've have this occur, where I'm unable to boot into WinRE by disk or USB, and it won't allow me to do repair the boot files that way. 

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 9:19 PM
  • unable to boot into WinRE by disk or USB 

Check the user manual.  There may be a keyboard shortcut you need to switch the boot device order. 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

We need to enter BIOS to change the boot order:

ASUS - p5b, a7v600, a7v8x, a8n, a8v, k8v, m2n, p5k, p5n, etc.
    Press Del right after starting the computer to enter BIOS.

Some other ASUS motherboards use Ins and some, like the p5bw-le, use F10 instead.

Otherwise, as Robert mentioned, find the manual book or contact AUSU support for help. 

Kate Li

Friday, February 07, 2014 3:09 AM