none
Windows 7 Folder Redirection Questions/Issues

Question

• Hi,

I have Windows 2003 servers right now. We are having issues with the users folders on Windows 2008 being created with Admin Read Access so we won't be upgrading for awhile until we come up with a solution.

I have installed Windows 7 RC 1 as a Domain Client.

I have installed RSAT to see the new Group Policies.

The question I have is how Folder Redirection is done. Right now we use mandatory roaming profiles so users cannot save into their profiles. My documents is redirected as is My Pictures etc.

With Vista and Windows they have taken the folder out of Documents and put into the Profile folder which is an issue.

Right now the Manual redirect isn't working because I don't have offline file caching and we can't index users Home Directories.

I have gone into RSAT and tried to set Folder Redirection on a Test OU

1> Based on Group (multiple users have multiple folder locations based on Group)
    2> Redirect to the following location \\server\abc users\%username%

When I click Apply I get an error

"If you have any folder's setting that is not applied to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP and Windows 2003 OS's you will no longer be able to change any folder redirction settings in this GPO from those OS's"

"Do you want to Continue"

What IS this? Is it saying I cannot change the GPO's on my Server 2003 any Longer?  The weird thing is my previous settings on this GPO are there and working.

How is one suppose to handle multiple platforms with Windows 7 and Windows Vista?

Thanks
    Lara
    lforbes
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:27 PM

Answers

• OK - I actually found the info on this one but I left the post for others.  Under the Settings Tab there is a "Also apply redirection policy to Windows XP...." and this needs to be ticked in order for it to work.  It also makes the Pictures, Video and Music follow My Documents thank goodness.

Now on to figuring out all the other tricks for running a dual platform.  Weird that it was easier running Windows NT and Windows XP in the same domain then Windows Vista/Windows 7.

Found this info too which is helpful.  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=73760
    lforbes
    • Marked as answer by lforbes Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:46 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:45 PM

All replies

• OK - I actually found the info on this one but I left the post for others.  Under the Settings Tab there is a "Also apply redirection policy to Windows XP...." and this needs to be ticked in order for it to work.  It also makes the Pictures, Video and Music follow My Documents thank goodness.

Now on to figuring out all the other tricks for running a dual platform.  Weird that it was easier running Windows NT and Windows XP in the same domain then Windows Vista/Windows 7.

Found this info too which is helpful.  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=73760
    lforbes
    • Marked as answer by lforbes Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:46 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:45 PM
  • as you can see from my 1st post the folder redirection and home path is set up correctly as it works on a xp client, my issue is on the windows 7 client in my computer the home folder drive (network mapping of H:\) is not visable and the my documents does not redirect to the users home folder.  and as i said it does work on a XP client.

if i try to manully map the H:\ drive then H is being used  but does not show.

also i dont use roaming profiles all i want is the folder redirection.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Hey Guys

I experienced the same issue where Folder Redirection is not working on my Windows 7 client, however it works for XP. I had just configured for my My Documents to be redirected. Are there any solutions to this issue???????

Regards

jk
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:30 PM
  • I have run across this same problem today.  I am testing Win7 in my student labs and need to direct Documents to their networked H: drive as I do not allow them to have profiles, so when they logout, anything that they would have saved to 'Documents' would go *poof*.  It was very simple on XP, when I try to redirect with W7, the H: doesn't even show up, when I select it manually it says I can't use it because it's not able to be indexed??
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I have run across this same problem today.  I am testing Win7 in my student labs and need to direct Documents to their networked H: drive as I do not allow them to have profiles, so when they logout, anything that they would have saved to 'Documents' would go *poof*.  It was very simple on XP, when I try to redirect with W7, the H: doesn't even show up, when I select it manually it says I can't use it because it's not able to be indexed??

There is a group policy for that. You will need the Windows 7 GP's loaded though on a Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 server to see them.

The policy is User Configuration - Admin Templates - Windows Components - Windows Explorer - Turn off Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data = Enabled.

Also make sure you do Folder Redirection and tick the box "Also apply redirection policy to windows 2000 etc" in the Settings of the Folder Redirection. (only seen on Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2). If Folder redirection is created on Windows 2003 it is auto ticked.

lforbes
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:46 PM
  • I checked my Server 2008R2 and those don't exist in my GPO nor are they on the local policy on the Win 7 desktops.  Where am I supposed to be making these changes?  I even checked my Server 2003 since it's supposed to have it's AD updated to work with Server 2008 and it doesn't have it either!
    Friday, May 07, 2010 8:15 PM
  • I checked my Server 2008R2 and those don't exist in my GPO nor are they on the local policy on the Win 7 desktops.  Where am I supposed to be making these changes?  I even checked my Server 2003 since it's supposed to have it's AD updated to work with Server 2008 and it doesn't have it either!
    It won't appear on 2003. Have you created the central store for you GP's and put the most recent ones from the inf folder on the Windows 2008 R2 server? I got the admx from the beta of Windows 7 so the Library setting should be where I stated It above. Also is H: set as the home directory in AD because you can redirect to the home directory as an option. I use that or UNC path. If folder redirection is working for XP then the legacy option is already enabled. What does the event viewer say? Is it a DNS issue?
    lforbes
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:42 AM
  • I pointed it to \\servername\%username%$ as the instructions stated I was allowed to.  Didn't do anything.  On the XP boxes I selected My Documents on the desktop and redirected that specifically to H: for the Default Policy.  I'd like to change that to a GPO setting so I don't have to run around doing it manually.  There are no DNS errors in event viewer.  I have not loaded any admx from the Windows 7 computers, where should I go to get these?  I laugh when administration thinks that deploying a new OS is as simple as pulling a computer out of the box and dumping it on someone's desk...
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:13 PM
  • I pointed it to \\servername\%username%$ as the instructions stated I was allowed to.  Didn't do anything.  On the XP boxes I selected My Documents on the desktop and redirected that specifically to H: for the Default Policy.  I'd like to change that to a GPO setting so I don't have to run around doing it manually.  There are no DNS errors in event viewer.  I have not loaded any admx from the Windows 7 computers, where should I go to get these?  I laugh when administration thinks that deploying a new OS is as simple as pulling a computer out of the box and dumping it on someone's desk...

Windows 7 comes with a complete different way of handling Group Policies. They are called admx instead of adm and are located in the C:\Windows\PoliciesDefinitions on ANY Windows 7 Professional or Windows Server 2008 R2 machine. You also need the corresponding en-US folder which contains the rest of it.  Follow these directions to create a central store for your domain so you don't have to copy the files to each computer running Group Policy http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929841?p=1

On my Windows 7 Professional machine I ran gpedit.msc and located the setting for the Libraries to turn off indexing. It is located in Users-Admin Templates-Windows Components-Windows Explorer- "Turn off Windows Libraries features that require index data"

Are the home folders created?  What I do is in AD I have the profile tab set to Map to H:\ for \\servername\usersshare\%username% which creates the folders. Then in GP I do folder redirection to Home Directory or to directly \\servername\usershare\%username%

If you want Redirection to create the folders you will need to give permissions to the root share to do so.

Deploying Windows 7 vs. XP is a HUGE deal because 7 isn't backwards compatible in the least with Group Policies or profiles. With XP, I could load Windows NT profiles, with 7 you need new ones.

The Domain has to be Windows 7 ready which requires a lot of extra work on the backend which is why we won't be deploying without a lot more testing.

DNS must be working for policies to apply correctly which means you need a forward and reverse AD Integrated lookup zones and machines must be registering.

Check a test account with other easier to notice Group Policies to see if they are working.

A gpupdate /force will force the machine to pull the updates.

lforbes
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:10 AM
  • I have a domain and several PC 's Windows Seven, and I'm having trouble using folder redirection of my documents on these PC's. The historical pattern is that which is inside the My Documents, but when the user receives an instant message which is for several at the same time, Windows Seven, the messenger crashes and closes. There is also the situation, that the times have conflicting historical conversation, give access denied when closed a conversation with anyone on the list of conflict.

please if anyone knows or is going through the same problem as I'll try to find the solution here.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Thank you! Your solution worked perfectly!
    Monday, October 25, 2010 5:52 PM
  • After you set:
    User Configuration – Administrative Templates – Windows Components – Windows Explorer - Turn off Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data

You still cannot add non-indexed locations through the GUI, but you can use a trick.

1. Using the SUBST command in a CMD window, substitute a folder on your local disk for the mapped network drive letter you will use for the remote share you want to add to the library (i.e. SUBST H: C:\DocsTest)
    2. Add the drive letter you just created to the library with the GUI and then close all Explorer windows
    3. Remove the substitute drive letter (i.e. SUBST H: /d)
    4. Map your network drive to the same drive letter you used in step 1

Now you'll have the share you wanted in your library, but remember you must first set the GPO setting (or if not in a domain, set this in the Local policy)

SQL MCP

Friday, March 09, 2012 3:33 PM