none
Windows 7 64 Bit -- Becomes unresponsive, mouse still moves.

Question

• I have a Dell laptop running Windows 7 / 64 Bit.

It locks up 3-4 times a day--wherein I'll still be able to move the mouse, but I can't click or type anything.

CTRL-ALT-Delete doesn't do anything.

But, it'll unfreeze after a minute or two.

I can't find anything in the Event Viewer that corresponds to the lock-ups.

Any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:55 AM

Answers

• Sounds like a hardware issue. I would start by upgrading the BIOS and possible also resetting the BIOS to the default settings. Also make sure that all your drivers are up to date by scanning Windows Update and visit the Dell Support pages for downloads for your specific machine.
    Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:36 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:07 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a hardware issue. I would start by upgrading the BIOS and possible also resetting the BIOS to the default settings. Also make sure that all your drivers are up to date by scanning Windows Update and visit the Dell Support pages for downloads for your specific machine.
    Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:36 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:07 AM
  • I have the same exact issue. This started happening at some random point in time after windows 7 was running smooth for months. There were no hardware changes and I have been checking everything I can. Its a very annoying bug, the mouse moves but you cannot do anything. If you click on things or type CTRL+ALT+DEL nothing happens but all your actions are queued up so as soon as windows comes back from the dead your actions trigger.

The response from Microsoft is pretty generic, there is more at play here then simply updating your BIOS and doing a windows update. Seriously, what if my stuff was already up to date before this happens? What do you check for besides this? There is no good way I have found that you can trace the problem. Even with all services and programs set to not startup automatically and only the bare minimum windows services running it still happens just as often so it tells me there is an issue within Windows that is causing this.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:46 PM
  • I am "now" experiencing the same thing, my computer used to go to sleep? just fine, the monitor would would turn off first, then the computer would shut down, all fine.

Next - I press the start button on the computer case halfway in and it would restart Win 7 64 bit ready to use in under 10 seconds. It's been working that for months on my new "custom" system build. - Great...

Now I'm getting the same symptoms as you are. My monitor shuts down, but no sleep, the monitor will wake up though with mouse movement, and the mouse may or may not move again.  It will eventually freeze the mouse and the computer will again respond after maybe 1 or 2 minutes of trying to wake it up. Then it is useful again, but no power savings and computer life for me.

I haven't made changes to my computer hardware/software either.. just Microsoft updates !

btw- my bios has always been set to S3

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Check out the Task Scheduler.  Enable task history and check currently running tasks.  Many things could be running:  System Restore, Defrag, Antivirus (Defender), Power usage stats, Customer Experience, System Assessment Tool, etc. 

Also check Indexing Options.  By default, anything under C:\Users is indexed.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Mine is doing the same thing too - except it's a desktop.  I've checked Event Viewer, Task Scheduler, and can never seem to find what's causing the stall.  The computer just stalls...mouse moves fine, but everything just comes to a halt for about one full minute or longer, after which point all of my accumulated actions start rolling out in sequence of how I executed them during the freeze.  During the freeze, I would try to switch to a different app, I'd try to go into Control Panel, I'd try to minimize a window, I'd try to open or type a reply to an email, I'd try to do whatever, and nothing would happen until the stall was completed.  Don't know what's causing it but it's incredibly frustrating for as long as it lasts!
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:11 PM
  • Mine is doing the same thing too - except it's a desktop.  I've checked Event Viewer, Task Scheduler, and can never seem to find what's causing the stall.  The computer just stalls...mouse moves fine, but everything just comes to a halt for about one full minute or longer, after which point all of my accumulated actions start rolling out in sequence of how I executed them during the freeze.  During the freeze, I would try to switch to a different app, I'd try to go into Control Panel, I'd try to minimize a window, I'd try to open or type a reply to an email, I'd try to do whatever, and nothing would happen until the stall was completed.  Don't know what's causing it but it's incredibly frustrating for as long as it lasts!
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:11 PM