none
Windows 7 Freezes at "Completing Installation"

General discussion

• So, I was installing windows 7 and everything was going great, fast, etc. Computer had just restarted, blah blah. Windows had said "Upgrading Registry and what not" and then when I got to the "Completing Installation" after about 5 minutes it just freezes, I gave it a good 20 minutes of just sitting there before coming to the conclusion it might be a hardware problem?

Then again, why would I get so far in the installation before it doing that? It was at about the 70% marker.

Btw, I'm upgrading to Windows 7 32bit, I'm running Vista 32bit atm, and Vista is freshly installed after a Hard Drive format about a week ago.

Soes any help would be great, if it matters any deal about my computer specs I'm on:

- AMD 64X Dual Core 3.00ghz.
    - GeFORCE XFX 6600 512mb
    - Default High Def Sound Card

Running a HP PC, but would have really matter?

Anyway, if anyone has any fixes for this or solutions, suggestions, what ever have you, I'm interested.

And also, I should note that I've tryed installing 3-4 times now with the exact same outcome.

I've tryed just the "Update" option, then after that I tryed the "Custom" option in the installation while it was already booted up.

Would a clean installation be the possible fix? The reason I haven't tred I clean installation is cause I just reinstalled Vista and formatted my hard drive a week ago meaning I'd have to make a 100gig backup of my programs, but if doing a clean sweap would have a 100% success rate, I'm all in.

Oh, one more thing, I first tried writing a CD with a RW DVD but I've tryed with 2 different types as well all going at 2x write speed. I still get the same installation Freeze.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:17 PM

All replies

• The same thing keeps happening with me. Although I have been able to install the 64 bit version, but with the sound does not work no matter what driver i use, which is a pain. If I could get the 32 bit to work I would rather have that. Did you figure out anything yet? 
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:32 AM
  • I am getting the same problem. Does anyone have any clues as to why this could be happening and how to prevent it??
    "To study or not to study, that is the question?"
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:01 PM
  • As I have mentioned in a more recent thread, one thing that might be causing this lock is if you have ANY USB devices plugged in.  During installation and system boot, make sure nothing is connected until you have a full boot into Windows 7.  After you are in Windows, then plug in the USB devices, and the OS will automatically install the necessary drivers needed. 

IF, that isn't the problem, it may have something to do with installing 32OS on a 64PC..... but I personally haven't tried that, so I can't be sure.

Good luck ;)

Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:08 AM
  • hi,

i'm trying clean install on an averatec 1150 GME855 chipset on centrino 1Ghz.

I've exactly the same sort of freeze in completing freeze. the only thing i notice is that screen is flickering just before freeze.

i try this night to install without any usb device plug and share my new experience.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:54 PM
  • I had exactly the same issue.. Installation went smooth and fast.. Got to completing install and just stayed there for ages... I did notice however that my external hard drive which was still attached to my pc was active for over 30 minutes... 1 hour later and it was still showing hd activity and then 1hr 30 mins afterwards the install completed. i will try an install without the external switched on to see the difference...
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:49 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem.

After much frustration, I finally found something that worked.

Once you have gone through the initial stages, and the first reboot happens, unplug EVERY USB device you have.  Even the mouse.  Leave nothing in the USB ports at all.  Literally just the PS2 keyboard, and the monitor plug...

... then it all worked.

Once you get through that stage, and it reboots a final time you can then plug your USB devices back in.

Good luck!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:13 PM
  • i was having the same problem. my desktop would freeze on the "completing installation" step.  i got it to work just fine on my laptop. i tried several times and it happened every single time. i started thinking why and it came to my attention that the most unique thing about my desktop is i have dual video cards running in it and a tv capture card. so i took one video card out and my tv capture card and used just one video card and it installed just fine.

im not sure if you have dual cards or a tv card but if you do try taking them out and see what happens. or maybe even use onboard video if you have it.  hope this helps someone.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:39 PM
  • After installing and rebooting, I got a BSOD, error code "0X00000024". I rebooted to CMD prompt and ran CHKDSK/f and now it runs great.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:55 PM
  • By the way, I'm duel booting with XP.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:57 PM
  • ive had 2 seperate computers both with successful installs using a usb keyboard.  take any expansion cards out of your computers if they arent required for your computer to boot up.  after it installs you can plug them back in and windows 7 will automatiacally detect them and find drivers.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Unplugging all USB devices worked for me... wonder what the issue is... hope they resolve it soon!

Martin

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:13 AM
  • unplug all USB device and pcmcia card, works for me too.

all work good, but i still can't boot with pcmcia card inside. i need to remove card to boot, and after getting inside W7 i can "plug" and use this pcmcia card.

world would'nt be funnny without Microsoft ;)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:03 AM
  • When you install windows remove all the plug ins like usb printer and so on start up from a clean disc,make sure you have ennouch space on drive,then install. mostly it starts up like a baby and you will have fun believe me.

Qriqua

JK
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:24 PM
  • TURN ON SATA AHCI IN BIOS . (and turn on native sata mode, not legacy mode). This is the only reliable and working solution. If you cannot find it in your bios, upd8 the bios. I had to upd8 my from F8 to F13.
    NO removing of devices, NO disconnecting network, NO removing cd, NO TURNING OFF AHCI!!!
    TURN ON AHCI . Period. Goodbye.

You're welcome.
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:39 PM
  • did work for me, thank you vratnik
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:08 PM
  • How do you connect the keyboard then?    My computer does not have any way to connect a mouse or keyboard except via USB.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 3:37 PM
  • My computer does not have  a PS2 connection for the keyboard.  It does not have any PS2 connections at all.
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Thank you!   New computers connect keyboards and mice via USB.    If you can't sell windows OEM on a new machine, that's kinda gonna limit sales...
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 3:39 PM
  • I have no expansion cards in my computer.   It's as it came from the factory.
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 3:44 PM
  • try to upgrade your bios and turn on ACHI like vratnik said, did works for me with USB keyboard & mouse
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 8:25 PM
  • I'm using F12 BIOS.. Turn from IDE to AHCI.. and still did not work.. does it matter? F12? I'm using Motherboard GA-965P-S3(rev.1.0)..
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:18 PM
  • I had the same problem.  My Windows 7 x64 installation was freezing at "completing installation".  The display & mouse stopped responding.  The system had been running Vista x86 fine for about a year.  I was able to figure out the problem, but it took about 10 hours to find (so I though I would share my experience).   I have a Asus Rampage Formula Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 4BG RAM. Things that I did (none of which worked):

Tired both IDE and SATA hard drives.
    Changed SATA cables.
    Removed all but 1GB RAM.
    Flashed to latest BIOS.
    Set BIOS to defaults.
    Turned down memory settings in BIOS.
    Disabled Execute Enabled Bit in BIOS.
    Tried two different graphics cards (one modern, one old PCI).
    Tried three different media (two Win7 x64 and one WinVista x64).
    Set SATA to compatability mode in BIOS.
    Removed All USB devices (used only a PS2 keyboard).
    Let the installation create the paritions.
    Removed all hard drives except the one that I wanted to install on.
    Ran Burn-in test on hard drive.
    Turned off most optional/performance setting in the BIOS, trying to improve system stability.

The thing that solved the problem was to remove all expansion cards (except for Video) from the motherboard.
    When I did that, the installation work fine.  The two cards I removed were the sound card and a serial/parallel port card.  Since the sucessfull installation, I have re-installed the sound card and all is well, so I suspect the serial/parabllel port card.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Had the same problem and found a solution I'd like to share.

I bought a new system with a 1TB hard disk from Western Digital (Caviar Green).
    I've tried everything to install Win7 but nothing helped.
    Finally i tried using a 750Gb Hard disk (same brand & type) and it installed without a problem.
    After installation i connected the 1TB disk again and it works.

Short after that installation i had to reinstall Wwin7 again.
    I installed it on same partition of the 750Gb disk and didn't disconnect the 1TB disk assuming it wouldn't be a problem since i wasn't installing on it.
    That assumption was clearly wrong as i had the same problem as before.
    So i disconnected the 1TB disk just in case. And yes, installation went fine.

So basically my problem is i can't install Win7 when there's a 1TB disk connected.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:52 AM
  • After trying most of the above solutions, I finally figured how to get Windows 7 to complete
    the install.

I seems Window 7 x64bit ver does'nt like USB to be opperational ,  So I disabled the USB
    controller in BIOS.

Now after Win7 gets to the completing install part, the screen blank out and returns with
    a higher resolution screen (before it just restarted and gave the can't continue message)

I think its BULLS%$T that I had to attempt 9 installs, trial / error before a solution emerged
    thinks to the above pasted post.

SO IF ANYONE IS HAVING A PROBLEM INSTALLING WIN7 TRY DISABLING USB CONTROLLER!!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I tried to install 64 bit Windows 7 and had the same problem.

But I solved by removing any hdds except for the windows, all usb connections, and a projector which is connected to VGA.

It was so painful to figure out.

Good Luck!
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Had the same problems everyone else has had with the install freezing at the completing installation window.  Remove my nVidia GT6600 video card and replaced it with a Visontek ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro card.  Used two 1GB sticks of memory instead of the four 1GB sticks.  Removed all USB devices after first reboot of installation.  Haven't had a problem since.  The conflict appears to be between the nVidia card and the installation.  Put the nVidia card back in after 7 completely installed, put in updated drivers from nVidia website and the system seems to be stable for now.  Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:34 AM
  • I'm having same error, tried to install several times without any usb things plugged in, but that didn't work I've got a Nvidia 9600 gs, Havnt got any spare cards to try. if it is a conflict with the installation and nvidia?

Might have to buy a cheap graphics card  off ebay to test.

all this just to install windows 7 lol!  still. im not giving up.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Hey guys,

How does it freeze ? like mine have mouse working and keyboard and I could even click cancel button, but its already on that step for the last couple hours, hard drive is active too, sounds like its doing some copy stuff..   ANYONE ?
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:52 PM
  • hi Derik, well mine doesn't pause, it just gets to the finalising installation bit and gives me an error message, saying something about hardware or stuff,  im going to test out an old graphics card to see if it installs with that instead of my new one nvidia 9800.

what ploblem have you got with yours?

Sunday, November 01, 2009 5:26 PM
  • well lol, after moving my hardrive to another computer and installing it their, finally worked, then once installed I put it back i n   my comp,   after deleting the motherboard drivers from the other comp, ,,  so now got win 7! yay lol,  works a charm, it must be a conflict between nvidia drivers or something. will be sorted out in future prbably,

oh and Sims 3 works on it lol
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Hey guys,

How does it freeze ? like mine have mouse working and keyboard and I could even click cancel button, but its already on that step for the last couple hours, hard drive is active too, sounds like its doing some copy stuff..   ANYONE ?

I have the same issue. It gets to the "completing installation" stage and the HDD can be heard to be working for about 10 seconds, and then nothing happens. The HDD light stays on indefinitely but there is no activity.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:48 PM
  • I have finally got Windows 7 installed after a simple BIOS flash to F14. My motherboard is GA-965P-S3 (rev 1.0)
    I tried everything listed in this thread: Unplugging USB, setting SATA to AHCI, taking out my 1TB HDD. None of them worked.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Things I've tried so far:

Updating BIOS. As far as HP is concerned, I'm as updated as I can be, and I don't see a "AHCI" option anywhere.
    Taken out my video card
    Unplugging USB
    Clean install (Now I have have to use another computer, thanks...)

I'm using a a6500f HP pavilion with a 500GB HDD and onboard video (Which is also a brand of nVidia... hmmm)

I've tried everything listed here, and nothing works. It still freezes at "Completing installation"

Help.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:24 AM
  • iv got same problem tried everything but dont understand what f8 or f14 for bios means iv updated my bios and had to change back as it turned raid on which game me lots of probs
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Unplugging USB helped in my case
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:35 AM
  • I must say, unplugging everything, all extra cards on mainboard, leaving only monitor and keyboard (ps2) connected helped me.. thx for thelp people..!! Learn from this Microsoft!!
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:36 PM
  • TURN ON SATA AHCI IN BIOS . (and turn on native sata mode, not legacy mode). This is the only reliable and working solution. If you cannot find it in your bios, upd8 the bios. I had to upd8 my from F8 to F13.
    NO removing of devices, NO disconnecting network, NO removing cd, NO TURNING OFF AHCI!!!
    TURN ON AHCI . Period. Goodbye. Enjoy win7.

You're welcome.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:19 AM
  • I had the same problem - Windows 7 freezing at "Completing Installation" and managed to fix it.  What I did was that I used the USB keyboard and mouse to go through the initial steps, where you have to click some options, and then as soon as I finished those, I removed the USB controller device (for the wireless keyboard and mouse) from the USB port.
    Friday, January 01, 2010 2:21 AM
  • Currently on this phase of this problem. Did a fresh install on a new build in about twenty min.

Installing on anther pc going on 4hrs now. Hope the usb trick works

PC build info 

Foxconn945p7AA mobo 2 gig ram

not sure of which 3ghz dual core processor it is

segate 160 7200rpm sata hdd 

geforce gts 250.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:36 AM
  • it seems i got d same problem here..cant complete the installation and the screen goes blank..base on the solution u guys given, there is one i cant try where to remove the gc since my mobo has no on board graphic..huhu..can anyone help me..my rig spec...intel q66oo, mobo asus p5q pro, ddr2 800 8gb kingston, gigabyte 9800gtx+,
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:46 AM
  • My Windows 7 64 bit installation froze at "Completing installation".  No response at all, had to reset.

Vratnik's solution worked for me -- enabling AHCI in the BIOS.  I have an ASUS motherboard, and the AHCI option for SATA was buried in menus but I found it.  I didn't have to do anything else -- didn't disconnect USB mouse or keyboard, didn't create the 100 MB partition.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:46 AM
  • Just a heads-up to everyone, I've seen this so many times on the net I can't believe it hasn't been remedied in the latest Windows 7 installation disks and ISOs by now . . . but I can tell everyone a few helpful things.

1. Windows 7 install hang-ups happen for multiple reasons on multiple systems with a insurmountable array of solutions, so the most helpful suggestion is to get your computer to it's most basic, ground-level state. That said . . .

2. Your BEST bet is to do the following:

A. Remove and disconnect all unnecessary hardware (internal cards, external usb/firewire/esata/etc devices).

*REMEMBER: You only need a keyboard, mouse, monitor and power plugged into your computer. Anything else can be disconnected for now!

B. Update your motherboard/mainboard to its most recent revision and then reset it to factory defaults

*If you're an over-clocker, be sure to write down or backup your current BIOS config if you have to

C. Replace all NECESSARY non-standard hardware with standard hardware (i.e. over-clocked memory and/or graphics card w/ standard parts)

3. If you've downloaded the Windows 7 installation as an ISO, do it again and then burn it again using a burn speed of no greater than 8x (4x recommended)

4. Keep in mind that some hard drives will pick configuration information up off of your motherboard, so be sure to download and apply your hard drive manufacturers "drive wipe" application and (after backing up all of your files) wipe your hard drive completely clean of all data (unless you are upgrading, then this step might be "optional").

5. Again, check with your hard drive manufacturer to be sure there aren't special jumper settings you will need to put in place. For Windows 7 you do not need to "align" or otherwise disable advanced formatting on the newer hard drives being released, but it's something to keep in mind when experiencing trouble.

6. Don't give up, literally. I've seen it where on the 6th attempted install, little more than a simple "I disconnected my USB keyboard and used a PS/2 keyboard instead" was the final solution. Better yet, I've also seen posts where a Windows 7 install completed successfully after a simple reboot without any modifications what-so-ever!

I'm speaking from experience here, so I don't want you to think I'm just posting only what I've seen during my forum trolling. I was having the fight of my life for the past couple days trying to install Windows 7 on a custom workstation I built quite a few years ago. The hang-up ended up being the factory over-clocked RAM I had installed. Prior to discovering that snagging point I tried hard drive jumpers, drive utilities . . . all of the things you see listed above, but in the end I had to find standard DDR400 PC-3200 RAM to perform the install and, once completed, I was able to put back the over-clocked RAM without trouble.

I'm sure none of this should be necessary, but I hope this information helps someone else having the same troubles I was when my Windows 7 install locked up at "Expanding files" and then later at "Completing Install". Not fun, but Windows 7 is great and worth the hassle in my opinion, so keep at it. Take care out there and GOOD LUCK!

Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:33 AM
  • This helped me through the hanging installation problem.  Thanks vratnik.  Now on to the other 5 problems getting it to come up...
    Friday, June 04, 2010 7:00 PM
  • I fixed my installion by taking 1gb of ram out leaving it with 2gb, for some reason windows 7 doesn't like getting installed with lots of ram. :l
    Monday, June 07, 2010 9:19 AM
  • On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:19:30 +0000, Tcoward17 wrote:

> I fixed my installion by taking 1gb of ram out leaving it with 2gb, for some reason windows 7 doesn't like getting installed with lots of ram.

I don't know what your problem is, but it is very definitely *not*
    true that "windows 7 doesn't like getting installed with lots of ram."

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake
    Monday, June 07, 2010 6:19 PM
  • FWIW, I just got my install to work after 2 days of trying ...

1 - Went down to 1 memory chip

2 - Removed the SATA dvd-rom drive and put in an ATA dvd-rom drive

When I did this combo, it not only installed, but installed FAST

The memory chip helped the install go deeper, but the removing the SATA dvd drive did the trick.

Remember - remove every peripheral possible before installing.  No USB, no TV cards, just 1 video card, as minimal as possible.  Add parts after the OS is installed.

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:43 PM
  • I was also having the same problem but i have solved it :-)

let me tell you what to do

when it freezes at that time just click on the button on your dvd drive and reinsert it. this will spin the DVD really really fast and you will be able to install it. and within 5 minutes installation will be completed

Regards

Vaibhav Gautam

www.connectallprogrammers.com

Thursday, July 08, 2010 12:50 PM
  • I was also having the same problem but i have solved it :-)

let me tell you what to do

when it freezes at that time just click on the button on your dvd drive and reinsert it. this will spin the DVD really really fast and you will be able to install it. and within 5 minutes installation will be completed

Regards

Vaibhav Gautam

www.connectallprogrammers.com

i had same problem for cpl of weeks even my dvd drive is not find i try to update all hard ware + dvd drive but it didn't work so i make a bootable flash memory than i start it work but final part got freezing problem again and i try many time untill last nit when i read to remove usb from my pc ya right that was the selution JUST REMOVE ALL USB FROM UR PC
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 6:24 AM
  • I had the same problem of the install freezing. I've got 2 displays on a NVIDIA 8800GTS. The install hung after altering the resolution on the master screen, in desperation I eventually disconected the secondary display and the install went fine.
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hello everyone.

First off, what I did:

• I had windows7 running just fine on my fairly new machine.
    • I bought a new CPU cooler and disassembled my entire computer and re-assembled it with the new cooler
    • Tried installing windows7 about 5-6 times and no fix.

Now, what worked for me was this:

I have DUAL monitors connected to GeForce 8500GT. I disconnected my DVI monitor and tried with VGA (D-SUB) only and didn't work. I then removed VGA (D-Sub) and connected DVI. I also went into my BIOS and reset to factory settings and disabled Legacy Floppy (it takes forever to launch the setup program off the CD if u have Legacy Floppy enabled). I have an ASUS P5N-D board with a Q6600 and 4GB of RAM.

Yes, try and remove all possible USB devices, leave the USB Keyboard + Mouse that you have connected (keep it connected). I also have an AverMedia TV Tuner and i kept it in, i also have a D-Link PCI wifi card which i kept in.

So, in conclusion, use DVI ONLY if you have dual monitors connected at time of installation. Or VGA (either could work depending on your situation). Reset BIOS to factory defaults and disable Floppy.

Good Luck everyone!

Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:25 AM
  • I just had to disconnect my USB flash drive then the installation automatically finished.

BTW I was installing Windows from that USB drive.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:50 PM
  • USB seems to be the trick, I had a newish microsoft (??) mouse caused problems. I have installed/reinstalled windows at least 2-3 times with the same hardware (besides the mouse) and never experienced the problem before.
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:45 PM
  • OK, this thread is getting awfully long without any response from MS people. Where are they?

I would like to know how to debug this :

1.  is there any way to get a display of the installation process ? In order to see on what driver / process it hangs on. Surely this is possible, how else would developers test their drivers on Windows 7 ?
    2.  is there a log file where the installation process writes error messages ? location of any such log files and/or how to turn logging on and configure it to write everything on to the log.

However, expecting no answer from MS people (hiding in some cave probably) I dared to explore the TechNet myself...

Found this:

•  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521

It explains all the logging done and their locations.

However in order to go deeper you need to be able to do the install via WDS:

•  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730906%28WS.10%29.aspx

I'm doing an install into a brand new Fujitsu Esprimo P5730 box. Works with its own install media but fails with MS retail dvd.

Let us not give up fellows!

Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Hi...I am having the same problem installing windows 7 Ultimate...I tried all the options mentioned in this thread. 

1) I tried the BIOS setup to AHCI 

2) Removed 6GB ram (Removed 8GB to 2GB)

3) Disconnected all the USB devices from the and also disabled the USB Controller option from BIOS

4) Tried to bootup from DVD Rom

5) Removed the PCI Express card from the PC

6) Used PS2 Keyboard and mouse not the USB ones

None of these worked for me....I am getting struck up at Completing Installation stage. 

My Config is AMD 9600 Quad Core Processor

4*2 DDR2 Ram (Total 8GB)

Gigabyte Motherboard (sorry I didn't know the model of this one). This is an assembled PC

Can somebody please help me? I am frustrated trying to install this for the past 4 days.

THanks,

Master

Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Master,

When the installation gets stuck at Completing installation note the time and press shift-F10 to get commandline interface screen.

Go to windows\Panther directory on the harddrive. There you see a bunch of file which are all the logging done during the installation process.

Read the latest ones with command type <filename> | more

See if you can figure out what the installation process was doing the last time before it got stuck.

You might also want to examine the unattend file there. It has lists all the procedures done during the installation process. The \actionqueue directory will have the section of the unattend file it is dealing with at the moment. The \unattendGC directory will have a run down of all the logging of the unattended processing. Have a look at setuperr.log and setupact.log files there.

- Ransu

Friday, November 05, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Replying to myself, but anyway...

Which ever way I configure the unattend.xml - to join securely or unsecurely the last line on my Panther\UnattendGC\setupact.log is always

<timestamp> info [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended join: Calling DsGetDcName for <domain>...

and there is nothing in windows\debug\netsetup.log.

Unable to debug any further since I get no error messages or logging.

Having read every possible technet article on the issue and looking for forum posts no one seems to have a similar error. Only option left is to start backtracking: install and configure the whole WDS again - create a new reference machine and image it - a week of work to try to find a simple error.

Well, it could be worse. I could be doing something 'productive'...

Friday, November 05, 2010 8:55 AM
  • JUST TAKE THE CD OUT! :P

I had the same problem and removing the Installation CD made it reboot and prepare the system for first use ;D

Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Master,

When the installation gets stuck at Completing installation note the time and press shift-F10 to get commandline interface screen.

Go to windows\Panther directory on the harddrive. There you see a bunch of file which are all the logging done during the installation process.

Read the latest ones with command type <filename> | more

See if you can figure out what the installation process was doing the last time before it got stuck.

You might also want to examine the unattend file there. It has lists all the procedures done during the installation process. The \actionqueue directory will have the section of the unattend file it is dealing with at the moment. The \unattendGC directory will have a run down of all the logging of the unattended processing. Have a look at setuperr.log and setupact.log files there.

- Ransu

How do you hit shift-F10 when the installation completely hangs up the computer??
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:13 PM
  • I've just finished getting windows 7 64 bit on my system and thought I would share my drama as it may help a few people.

I'm running 

Gigabyte 9800GTX 1GB

Gigabyte ep45-ud3p

intel Q6600

Like most people here it froze with a black screen after the first reboot and always at the same spot. I tried every suggestion one by one listed here with no luck until I managed to find my old PCI video card which I bought about 12 years ago. Surprised I still had it.

Windows 7 managed to install with the old video card in but when the 9800gtx was replaced the black screen returned and would not boot up (always stopped just after the colored animated logo) but would boot up in safe mode. 

My solution was to download some old drivers for Vista, Nvidia 178.13 for 64 bit. Installed these in safe mode and it is now working beautifully. setting AHCI did not work for me and I think it may have even caused me some problems once I did get it all installed.

I was so frustrated and was starting to think my video card or motherboard was at fault as I had decided to install win7 when my power supply went on the blink and bought Win 7 with the new power supply. I thought it may have taken out a few more components with it due to the problems I was having. I nearly just went and wasted money on a whole new system.

The trick is to not give up and keep trying different things. If you had a system that was working and is 64 bit compatible with XP then it should work with Win 7 64 bit give or take a few hair pulling hours or as in my case days. 

After a lot of research I believe that the Nvidia 9800GTX cards are causing problems all over the place for XP and Win 7 alike so if you have one of those try out the method above. Good luck, it's all worth it in the end.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Just a heads-up to everyone, I've seen this so many times on the net I can't believe it hasn't been remedied in the latest Windows 7 installation disks and ISOs by now . . . but I can tell everyone a few helpful things.

1. Windows 7 install hang-ups happen for multiple reasons on multiple systems with a insurmountable array of solutions, so the most helpful suggestion is to get your computer to it's most basic, ground-level state. That said . . .

2. Your BEST bet is to do the following:

A. Remove and disconnect all unnecessary hardware (internal cards, external usb/firewire/esata/etc devices).

*REMEMBER: You only need a keyboard, mouse, monitor and power plugged into your computer. Anything else can be disconnected for now!

B. Update your motherboard/mainboard to its most recent revision and then reset it to factory defaults

*If you're an over-clocker, be sure to write down or backup your current BIOS config if you have to

C. Replace all NECESSARY non-standard hardware with standard hardware (i.e. over-clocked memory and/or graphics card w/ standard parts)

3. If you've downloaded the Windows 7 installation as an ISO, do it again and then burn it again using a burn speed of no greater than 8x (4x recommended)

4. Keep in mind that some hard drives will pick configuration information up off of your motherboard, so be sure to download and apply your hard drive manufacturers "drive wipe" application and (after backing up all of your files) wipe your hard drive completely clean of all data (unless you are upgrading, then this step might be "optional").

5. Again, check with your hard drive manufacturer to be sure there aren't special jumper settings you will need to put in place. For Windows 7 you do not need to "align" or otherwise disable advanced formatting on the newer hard drives being released, but it's something to keep in mind when experiencing trouble.

6. Don't give up, literally. I've seen it where on the 6th attempted install, little more than a simple "I disconnected my USB keyboard and used a PS/2 keyboard instead" was the final solution. Better yet, I've also seen posts where a Windows 7 install completed successfully after a simple reboot without any modifications what-so-ever!

I'm speaking from experience here, so I don't want you to think I'm just posting only what I've seen during my forum trolling. I was having the fight of my life for the past couple days trying to install Windows 7 on a custom workstation I built quite a few years ago. The hang-up ended up being the factory over-clocked RAM I had installed. Prior to discovering that snagging point I tried hard drive jumpers, drive utilities . . . all of the things you see listed above, but in the end I had to find standard DDR400 PC-3200 RAM to perform the install and, once completed, I was able to put back the over-clocked RAM without trouble.

I'm sure none of this should be necessary, but I hope this information helps someone else having the same troubles I was when my Windows 7 install locked up at "Expanding files" and then later at "Completing Install". Not fun, but Windows 7 is great and worth the hassle in my opinion, so keep at it. Take care out there and GOOD LUCK!

Battlestorm, thanks a lot for this summary and the couragement. I also s*cked for two days with the freezing at the 'Completing install' part (with clean install). My HP machines is with:

- Intel Pentium D950, 3.4 GHz

- ASUS EMERY2 motherboard

- Intel i945P chipset

- Phoenix BIOS quite old though from 2006

- 1 GB DDR2 RAM

- Nvidia Geforce 7500 LE

- WD Serial Ata HDD

What I tried but did not solve the issue in itself:

- unplugging USB keyboard and mouse before first restart

- ejecting DVD at freeze time

- enabling AHCI in BIOS for SATA

- using PS2 keyboard

What finally worked was a combination of the below things:

- 1. Some suggested to plug SATA HDD into a different slot on the motherboard, I did (checked with a system info program which ones enabled (actually 2 and 3 were disabled, so I used 4)

- 2. I kept the SATA AHCI setting in BIOS

- 3. I used a borrowed PS2 keyboard (and unplugged USB keyboard, mouse)

- 4. I took out unnecessary cards from motherboard, i.e. TV card, Wifi card, just kept the video card

- 5. Disconnected from the net, to leave updates for later

And it worked! IMHO the removal of the 2 cards from motherboard was the main thing in my case. I would recommend to all having similar problem to try a similar option (take out what's unnecessary for the install and put them back when the system already runs). Thanks a lot guys for your help. Good luck to those still stucked with this.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:22 PM
  • I tried doing many of the other solutions but couldn't get anything to work.The only things I didn't try were setting my SATA to AHCI because I was installing on a 3 drive RAID 0 and I couldn't use a PS/2 keyboard due to lack of a port. As it turns out though it was my Logitech G15 keyboard. The keyboard has a screen built into it and it has to be plugged into an outlet to make it fully functional. So on my last attempt it just sat at completing install again and I decided to try unplugging the power from my keyboard. Then the installation instantly went to the full resolution of my screen (1080p) after it had been at a lower resolution surrounded by black which I didn't really pay attention to before that. After that the progress bar started moving and I plugged it back in and it kept going and about 10 seconds later it was done. Hope this helps if anybody is still stuck and doesn't have any other keyboard options. I had some other USB keyboards that probably would've worked but that's just too much work. :P
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:29 AM
  • Yet another half baked garbage software product from the masterminds at MS
    Monday, March 14, 2011 12:36 AM
  • I can't be sure you will ever see this... but what if SATA AHCI isn't offered in bios? Only legacy mode?

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:51 PM
  • !!! SOLVED !!! For me at least :D

On a customer gateway desktop machine,

quadcore intel 775

shitty intel mobo

3gigs ddr2 @ 667

gf 8500

I tried everything previously posted (remove gf, 2 gigs, disable usb, use ps2, swap sata plugs, disable onboard sound, lan, and serial, sacrificed a chicken with dancing - you know, the usual)

Eventually I was just examining the case and realized that the front media reader plugged into the mobo via an unlabled lead, and wasn't disableable through bios.

So I unplugged it, restarted the installation dance:

BOOM! SUCCESS!

YMMV, mine wasn't a full crash, it just sat and animated ellipses forever :S

Good luck ya'll :D

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:48 PM
  • My current personal standing on this usb issue is:

THOSE BUTT MONKEYS AT MS JUST WASTED AT LEAST 1 HOUR OF MY TIME AGAIN WHILE I TRIED CONSECUTIVE WIN7 INSTALLS> COULDNT THEY WARN USERS TO UNPLUG USB AT THE INSTALL SCREEN???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

//////////////???????????????????????????????????

THEY NEED TO RESTRUCTURE THEIR BETA TESTING AND SOFTWARE DESIGN ARMS ABIT AGAIN

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:25 PM
  • I am using same computer with same setup almost,

I even changed HDD from Hitachi to WD 1TB, Please if you fix yours sent me the way or post it here, thanks

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:12 AM
  • Been pounding my face into a wall for about a week now trying to figure this one out. Was about to send my mobo back and complain about how it is disagreeing with my OS's (was having the same problem pop up with linux). Thank god i found this thread. Switched my bios sata controller from IDE to AHCI and all problems solved so far. didnt have to remove a thing (other than my second drive to ensure that the system partions was on the right drive but thats all basic).

AMD Phenom x6 1100T

Gigabyte G4-870A-UD3 MOBO

8GB (4x2) DDR3 1333 Ram

EVGA 9800 GTX+ Superclocked

WD 640GB 7200RPM

and now (after facepalming for hours) Win 7 64bit

THanks for the info guys helped a ton.

edit: now to fix the freezing in windows issue (ughs)
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:32 AM
  • Guys, I am now at the point that I have to post my problem.

I have been batteling this issue for a week now and I am losing this battle.

Atm I have no USB plugged into my PC, The only card on my motherboard is my VGA, and Im only using my p2s Keyboard. I turned on my AHCI and it still does not work. I did everything, even made the 100 mb partition. what the hell should I do ?

Thnx

Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:35 AM
  • If you get to that spot and those dots are still moving then its not messed up its just really slow let it take its time if the dots stop moving completely after the Completeing Installation then it froze and i cant help you soorry:(
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Depending on your hardware and your current edition of Windows Vista, you can use the Upgrade option during Windows 7 installation to upgrade from Windows Vista to a corresponding or higher edition of Windows 7

Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:22 AM
  • Like a lot of people here, I was having the same freezing issue at "completing installation".

I had to remove both ALL the USB devices (including mouse and keyboard) as well as remove the installation DVD.

It's quite asinine, really.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:39 PM
  • I would like to share how i got mine to install. I had to use gparted live cd to format my hard drive to NTFS. then pop my install dvd in, and it worked like a charm, i didnt have an issue with usb, but it was still hanging until i did this.
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Hi All

My original computer information

My Computer Information

HP Pavilion Elite m9200t

Motherboard Name    
        ASUS: IPIBL-LB
        HP: Benicia-GL8E

Chipset    
        Intel G33 Express

Front-side-bus (processor dependent)    
        1066/1333 MHz

Processor
        Core 2 Duo E8200 (W) DC (2.66GHz /1333 MHz) 6 MB L2 cache; Dual Core

Memory
        2 GB (2 x 1 GB) DDR2 PC2-6400

Hard Drive    
        750 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

TV    
        PCI Express x1 TV tuner card (includes remote control & receiver) 

Graphics
        GeForce 8800 GT

My Problem/Issue

Three days ago during a stormy weather, I lost power which causes my computer to improperly shut down. When the power came back on, I was not able to past the window 7 starting logo. I did the Windows Diagnostics and everything passed. So I went into safe mode and was able to transfer most of my files over before trying to reinstall window 7.

Now I'm experiencing the same issues as everyone here is. The only different is that I had Window 7 install before without any issues. Now my window 7 just stalls at completing installation stage.

This is what I have done

- Update My Bios

- Install Vista and reinstall/updated all of my drivers. Then try to upgrade (wasn't able to)

- Switch from "RAID" to "AHCI"

- Removed All USB Connection (including the keyboard and mouse after the first restart)

- Didn't use my DVI Monitor and tried to use my HDMI TV

- Finally Removed my extra 2x 512 Ram and left it at 2 gigs vs. 3 gigs

None of those steps has worked and I don't want to takes this to someone else when I have been fixing my own computer since the age of 16. I'm at a complete lost on what the heck happen and what to do to fix this.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Well I found a option for the stalling at "completing installation" stage.

Option 1
    Delete the partition that you going to install the Window 7 on and that should create a “System Allocated” that is only 100mb

Just install the Window OS on the Unallocated Space

Note: This work for some, didn't work for me but I decided to share it because this may be a solution to many.

Option 2
    Do option 1

Make sure you have a "PS2 keyboard", mouse, and your internet connection connected and working

Once you have reach the "Completing Installation" stage, press "Shift+F10" and that will bring up your CMD. Type explorer.exe and press enter on your keyboard and that will kick start the rest of the installation. It should restart on it own, if it doesn't, do a hard reset and that should boot you to creating a username etc.

Note: Shift+F10 DIDNOT work on a USB keyboard, it only worked on a PS2 keyboard.

Option 2 worked for me, but I still had my original problem of having window 7 stuck at the "start window" screen. If anyone knows why that is happening I would be extremely thankful. If I find a solution I will share it.

Friday, July 08, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Option 3
    Do Option 1

Make sure you have a "PS2 keyboard" and mouse connected to your computer. NOTHING ELSE!

Brief Summary
    What you going to do is load your installation window 7 files during safe mode, reboot and during safe mode disable all the driver that has the yellow exclamation via CMD. Below are the step by step instruction (found this wonderful fix via a forum).

STEPS

Step 1, With the Windows 7 DVD in your DVD drive, press any key when prompted 'Press any key to boot from CD / DVD...', as soon as the message is gone, quickly press F8 to show the boot options list. Select Safe Mode and install 7. It will allow the initial stages & file copying.

Step 2, When the Window 7 installation has done all the stages, such as copying, expanding, installing features, and then installing updates, it going to restart. REMOVED THE DVD.

Step 3, When 7 restarts for the first time, press F8 and select 'safe mode'. When you boot to SAFE MODE and after waiting for a few minutes at the "SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS FOR THE FIRST TIME" screen, then you'll get the popup that states "WINDOWS CANNOT CONTINUE SETUP IN SAFE MODE, CLICK OK TO RESTART"

NOTE: DO NOT restart, AND DO NOT click on the 'X' (close button) in the upper-right of the pop-up. You going to do step 3 first before clicking to restart!!!!!

Step  4, Simply press SHIFT+F10 -  that will bring up a COMMAND PROMPT after a few seconds.

Step 5 From there you can enter COMPMGMTLAUNCHER

Step 6: Go to your device manager and disable all your driver that display the YELLOW TRIANGLE.

If you DO NOT know which driver is causing the problem AND you CANNOT see an obvious driver with a YELLOW TRIANGLE or EXCLAMATION POINT in Device Manager then try disabling any drivers and changing any services from automatic to disabled for any that you don't recognize or that seem VENDOR (software or hardware) specific.

--> Also keep in mind that Video is always a huge culprit... I found some "unknown video device" under "other devices" in device manager. I disabled that as well. Be sure to disable any devices that show up as "unknown" or "other devices" either in a the OTHER DEVICES category in Device Manager or in some other category.

Step 7: Once you have disable all of your drivers. Close command window and click ok on the dialog box. Windows will use a standard driver (with less functionality) when it restarts. Once installation has finished & you actually have a screen up & running you should be able to install your original drivers as well as re-enable these drivers and devices

Note: If this fix install window 7, then you have a driver that is either missing or corrupted. I would suggest enable only the internet driver and re-download all your drivers from the manufacture site. Turn out my SM Bus Controller was stopping window from finishing  installing, as well as the upgrading. Once I install that from intel, that completely stop the window 7 "starting window" from hanging as well.

Please share this information if it has help you. Thanks!!!!
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Thank you Sheila,

Your comment gave me a hope to find a problem. Unfortunately I couldn't fix it yet even done all that you recomended.

I will appreciate if any body can give any new ideas.

My Hardware is:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LE B3 Intel P67

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300,

RAM: 8 Gb DDR3 1600 2 chanel.

Thank you,

Michael

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:32 PM
  • I am glad to say that issue solved! Thanks a lot to all of you from that forum, but key problem solver was a guy Alex from MS Technical support.  The problem has been solved after disabling video card in device manager. I was scared to do that before. I believed that this will lead to “no video” situation since I have only one vide card. In fact that action disabled only driver.

So the successful installation steps were following:

1.       Minimize comp configuration:

-          Only 1 HDD;

-          Only one chip of RAM (4 G in my case);

-          Only PS2 keyboard;

2.       Optimize HDD as recommended at : (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91339-ssd-hdd-optimize-windows-reinstallation.html)

3.       Run complete installation up to the “Completing installation step” freeze.

4.       Activate Computer Manager as described by SheilaP at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/7d765b66-17c6-46e8-94e2-dd39b5b504c1?prof=required;

5.       Disable all devices with “!” mark and video card also (even if it doesn’t have “!”, as it was in my case). Continue the installation.

Again special thanks to :

Bare Foot Kid from http://www.sevenforums.com;

SheilaP from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/7d765b66-17c6-46e8-94e2-dd39b5b504c1?prof=required;

Alex from MS Technical support.

Sincerely,

Michael

Monday, July 25, 2011 1:47 PM
  • I've tried all SheilaP said and Michael Thorn and nothing seem to work.

Then I found it could be the new SSD, since the SDD should be set in BIOS to AHCI (Instead of IDE). This can only be done without a problem for new windows installations. Check the internet for info about it.

I also used SheilaP's way to show the Safe Mode menu by pressing F8. But this time I used only the option:

-Disable driver signature enforcement (which probably means it will install drivers more flexible)

After installing, windows restarts and then again I chose the disable driver signature enforcement and.. it all installed!

So the solution for me was:

1. Make sure your BIOS has the right settings (SSD = AHCI, checked at the manufacturers website)

2. Don't worry about connected USB devices / number of RAM / number of HDD's or whatsoever

3. Start installation from DVD and quickly after the "press to setup from DVD" message, press [F8]

4. Go for: "Disable driver signature enforcement"

5. Let Windows setup and choose the drive / partition to install (No need to use all kinds of difficult DISKPART stuff)

6. Wait untill Windows restarts

7. Press [F8]

8. Choose "Disable driver signature enforcement"

9. Be patient for the Completing installation part (Since I had USB stuff connected, I could see the Completing Installation process was not stuck, since the Logitech G15 keyboard and Razer mouse were turned off and on several times)

10. See the Installation being finished and windows being restarted

Best Regards

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:42 PM
  • I removed the CNR Modem and it worked fine.
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:52 AM
  • I don't know if this thread is still active, but I am in very big trouble.

I was running fine on Windows 7, and all I did was a reboot and my machine would not boot.

I tried everything to get it back but ultimately decided to do a fresh install.

The main reason I'm in such big trouble is that I'm in danger of loosing all my data from my entire life using computers.  It was such a stupid turn of events.  I have external drives that hold all my backups but I ran out of room and decided to delete the backups and recreate a new version.  I had thought I ran that backup.  It turns out I did not.

My setup is as follows, I have two 120 GB SSD drives setup in RAID 0, to gain some performance and get a larger GB size.  So when in RAID 0 I get one 225 GB drive.  These SSD's are using only for Winodws 7 system, none of my data is stored there.

So reinstalling Windows 7 should not be an issue and my data should be ok.

I have two 2 TB hard drives, they are setup as RAID 1, so they are mirrored for protection.

I should be OK but at one point I did originally set those drives up with Windows 7 but somehow the boot sector got corrupted.  But I didn't care about that, I was not boot from them. I think it got corrupted when I was trying to get the SSD drives fixed before I decided to do the fresh install.

So when everyone here is saying make sure you set your BIOS with AHCI, I cannot because doing that will turn off the RAID system which is built into the motherboard.  I had talked to Corsair about this and I'm doing it correctly.

I even tried to do a fresh system install to my external SATA drives.  I ran into the same hanging problem.

My desktop is from HP model 'm9200t'.

I was thinking it was doing all of this because the Windows 7 Full Install disk I have is from Microsoft and not from HP, so it doesn't have HP's drivers.

But that should hang the installation, I should be able to get to a desktop and then I would have some of my devices disabled until I got the correct drivers installed.

I'm being to think that I have some sort of virus that got into the hardware?  I know that's not supposed to be possible.  But maybe something was done to break the hardware?

I'm trying right now to install a copy of Vista 64bit Ultimate, and I am having the same issue?

How can that be? Vista as well?

Also, I'm wondering if I'm just not waiting long enough for things to happen.  When you get to the 'Completing installation' line.. how long can it take... or what is the longest I should wait until I can consider it not doing anything?

Some here said 30 minutes should be long enough?  If that is the case, then I don't know what to do at this point.

I pulled as much as I can out of the box.  I pull the graphics card, so I'm running on the motherboard's graphics, I have nothing installed in any of the usb ports.  I even pull the external RAID card that handled my external SATA drives.

I pulled out all the memory and have just a 2GB memory card installed.

I should not have to do any of this.

Would I get results spending the $150 getting MS tech support on the line?

Thanks!

Rob

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:30 PM
  • I had the same problem as most of the posters here.  Moreover, I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 a few months ago in the same machine with the same specs, so I already ran into the problem that Windows requires to be only one drive in my system.  That meant disconnecting my media readers and second hard disk drive.

But this time, even that wasn't enough.  I was reluctant to put the effort into taking everything out, but I'm glad I did.  Here are my recommendations:

1) Update your BIOS.  If there is no option for AHCI, don't worry about it.  (My BIOS didn't support it like others.)  You can get a command prompt from the Repair menu if you need it.

2) Disconnect all other hard drives or media readers

3) Remove video card (this was my main issue this go around)

4) Disconnect USB mouse/keyboard when it is installing

5) Install Windows 7 on a fresh hard drive.  Delete all partitions in the setup and then click Next.   The setup program will do the rest.  If this isn't an option with your drive, buy a new drive, install Windows 7 on there, then recover your old data on your old drive after your OS is up and running.

Good luck!

Monday, July 02, 2012 2:35 AM
  • my install was freezing at "Completing installation" as well.. tried EVERYTHING for 2 days, a hundred forums.. sheesh.. 

freeze was just seconds after the display driver kicked in, everything would go smoothly then the display would reset to max resolution, and bam, stuck. no mouse/kb, the dots (...) stopped moving and no HD activity 

after idk how many formats,failed installs, pulling memory, bios options,  i finally used the device manager trick and i think that did it. 

1. hard  reset the frozen sumbitch 

2. hold F8 and enter safe mode.  after it boots, IGNORE THE ERROR MESSAGE BOX! DO NOT CLICK "OK" .  NO CLICKY! 

3. hit SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt 

4. in the command prompt window, type in "compmgmtlauncher"  (without the quotes)  .. wait about 20 secs 

5. in the new window go to "device manager"  and then "Display Adapters"  .. select the adapter and go to the "driver" tab and click on       "Disable this device"   .. in short, disable your display adapter.  especially if its nVidia.  

6. close the computer management window, and  the command window, then click the "OK" in the error box to restart. 

7. NOW boot from your install dvd and do a clean install, format the partition first for sh*ts n giggles 

8. as soon as it starts copying files, unplug your Keyboard and Mouse from the computer 

9. WATCH and wait, when it gets to "Completing installation",  EJECT THE DVD. just leave it out. 

10.  installation proceeds smoothly, "completing installation" stage takes less than 5 minutes and computer restarts.  

11.   after initial setup is completed, make sure to go back into device manager and re-enable your display adapter and anything else you may          have disabled.

12.  now cram all your crap back into the computer (extra drives, cards, usb devices, etc)  

13.  celebrate! 

this worked for me, after a WHOLE lot of frustration and wasted time.  hope it works for you guys

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:56 AM
  • The fix for me was to simply remove my TV tuner card.  Worked like a champ after that, but it took me a month to figure that out.  Sometimes I would see a "driver state power failure" error and now I know it was my TV Tuner card or the driver for it that was the issue.  For reference, my computer is an HP Pavilion Elite m9300t.

Good luck!

Monday, January 07, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Hi All,

So i've been having issues with windows 7 freezing at the "completing installation" step.  My computer began freezing yesterday morning and i opted to just go straight for a clean install.  i've done multiple clean installs on this computer with no issue (probably 5 to 8).  However, i've now tried about 20 times and it freezes every time.  I've tried:

1) enabling AHCI in bios

2) unplugging all usb, headphones, ethernet cable and 2nd monitor

3) multiple hard drives (3 different ones; it freezes at the same point on all of them)

4) plugging a single hard drive into different sata ports

5) installing windows 8 (also froze)

6) installing 32 bit windows 7 (froze at the same point)

7) installing ubuntu (freezes on initial load screen)

8) unplugging literally everything and holding down the power button for 30 seconds (to try to rid the system of any stray electric signals)

9) disabling vga display adapter (as described by eddie_dominates above)

10) moving the mouse around during the time when it normally freezes (in an attempt to give it other things to process that might break it out of an infinite loop-a long shot but was worth a try)

11) ejecting install disk during the "completing installation" step.

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point and am beginning to suspect hardware.  Does anybody have any other ideas and/or a means of determining for sure that it's a hardware problem (given that multiple hard drives have had problems, i'm suspecting cpu/mobo...anything else it could be?)

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:11 AM
  • I would change the video card since you've already changed the hard drive. Also, what is the make and model of your computer?

Friday, May 31, 2013 11:52 AM
  • Non of these things have worked for me ive done everything. iv removed USB's and disabled video cards and opened command prompt non of it works! ive wiped my hard drive several times. ive tried all windows even 98. and my bios doesnt allow me enable AHCI in bios! and i dont know what kind of mother board i have so i cant upgrade my bios! i dont know what to do ive tried everything.

Friday, June 14, 2013 10:01 PM
  • SOLVED

I had the same problem.

Tried to install from a burned dvd first as I have lost my original.

It stopped at the completing installation stage.

Second, I used the windows bootable usb tool, prepared a usb drive on my wife's pc.

Used it to reinstall, but froze again.

Then I retried to install from start with same usb, and this time it installed without problem.

Hope it helps someone out there. Just reinstall from beginning several times.

SAD but only way to get it through.

Just as a hint, burned dvd are not as stable(missing or corrupt files during burning) as usb, so USB should be preferred over dvd for installing windows.

• Edited by wilbur07 Friday, July 26, 2013 1:14 AM none
    Friday, July 26, 2013 1:13 AM
  • maybe you attach some "cards" on your motherboard..? just try to detached any card and try to install Windows again..
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:22 AM
  • Thank you so much Sheila!
    Thanks to you I have been able to solved this issue and play video games again when there was no more hope for me after five months of breakdown!
    Even a so called IT Help Desk couldn't do anything!

So really thanks again! :)

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:42 PM
  • i would chenge the letter s to b to describe this problem. it's not sad anymore than the rest of their crap since and

including vista.

soon there will be no error messages and no diagnostics and no repair at all.

clone clone clone , daily that's my advice

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:06 PM
  • I had this problem as well. As soon as pulled out my external HDD it continued. 
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:28 PM
  • SHEILA Your AWSOME!!! you fixed my laptop now i just need to get my drivers to install im stuck at the starting windows screen where it goes black way after the first time deal. but thats on me again THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:10 AM