none
Cannot edit registry ?

Question

• Not sure if this is a Window 7 bug or something else...

I upgraded from Vista to 7.  Trying to edit something in the registry and I am getting "Access is Denied".  Tried setting Permissions and I am unable to set Permissions on the key either.  I am an Administrator of the computer.  Also tried running RegEdit as Administrator and get the same results.

Any ideas out there ?

Thanks. 
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Which key are you trying to edit?

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:31 PM
  • You need to run regedit as Administrator and then take ownership of the Registry key
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:53 PM
  • You need to run regedit as Administrator and then take ownership of the Registry key

I'm having the same issue at the moment.  I'm running regedit as administrator.  How exactly do I "take ownership of the Reistry key"?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:48 PM

• Right-click a key, choose Permissions..., click Advanced button, click Owner Tab.

You can also start from the MenuBar Edit option.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Some keys can not be manipulated while the system is completey active. Try inserting the installation media and selecting repair my computer and open the command promt. From there type regedit.exe and attempt to change premisions.

Also, in the registry while in windows, somtimes changing permisions for the subkeys with the parent key has no effect and if you change permission for an individual child subkey it works.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:37 AM