none
Windows 7 Backup Failing error code 0x81000037

Question

• I have the same problem trying to do a Backup to a USB attached 500GB harddrive.  I've used msconfg to turn off all but MS services and eliminate the normal startup items, but Backup still fails reading the shadow copy.  This system came with Vista Ultimate 64 installed, and backup worked fine.  The OEM supplied me with the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 upgrade which I installed with no problems, except for the Backup failure.  The backup failure was not noted until approximately a month after the installation was complete.

Friday, January 15, 2010 7:09 PM

Answers

• Sorry to hear about your issue not getting resolved, I had a feeling the repair wouldn't fix it.  Unfortunately the VSS / Shadow copy is configured different than it was in the past, I can't find its com+ dependency on my Win7 load, and we don't to break your Win7 install (or mine :) )

You can do a clean install with the upgrade disc - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

I've always done the method of install clean, not putting in a product key for demo, then upgrading the clean install with the product key.

Have a good one.

• Marked as answer by Bobem Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:56 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:47 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem trying to do a Backup to a USB attached 500GB harddrive.  I've used msconfg to turn off all but MS services and eliminate the normal startup items, but Backup still fails reading the shadow copy.  This system came with Vista Ultimate 64 installed, and backup worked fine.  The OEM supplied me with the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 upgrade which I installed with no problems, except for the Backup failure.  The backup failure was not noted until approximately a month after the installation was complete.

Hi

See Issue 2 in the following document for the description and fix for this error message.

How to troubleshoot Windows Backup and Restore issues when a reparse point folder or its subfolder is added to a user library in Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, January 15, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Hello Ronnie,
    I tried your suggestion by eliminating all user libraries from the files to be backed up, and Backup still failed but ran for a longer time.  Is the troubleshooting guide suggesting that any compressed file format in any folder can cause this problem?

Thanks for your help.
    Bob
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Do you have any errors in the event logs?

Have you tried system restore to a time when it was working?

Have you tried cleaning VSS from the Disk? Start (orb) -> My Computer -> Right click on C: and select 'properties' -> Disk Cleanup -> More Options -> Shadow Copy / System Restore cleanup

Also, can you post the results of doing the following:

Start (orb) -> CMD (in the Search Programs and Files portions) -> then run 'vssadmin list writers'

You may need to rebuild VSS, if its crashing in the the middle of the backups - but I'll wait for your responses to include that.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:28 PM
  • I have 3 errors in the event log relating to the backup problem, all relating to shadow copy in the order of their occurance:

The first one:  volsnap eventID =4 - "the shadow copies of Volume C were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C"

The second: Backup eventID = 517 - Windows Backup cannot find the shared protection point.  It has an error code 2155347999

The third:  Windows Backup eventID 4104 with error code 0X81000037.

I'm not sure that Backup ever worked since the upgrade to Windows 7, so I have not done a system restore.

I do not see a "More Options" option under disk cleanup.  Is there a way to run My Computer as administrator? 

I ran the vssadmin as administrator and that ran with no errors detected.

Thank you for your suggestions

Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:15 PM
  • First things first - an IO error may be bad sectors or a failing hard drive.

Go to start (orb) -> type in cmd (in 'Search Programs and Files, right above the orb) -> Open CMD -> type in chkdsk /r and press enter
    This will give you an error that you need to schedule this for your next boot, do so. Reboot your PC.

After that check your hard drive with Manf. diagnostic software. If it comes back clean, try your backup again - if it fails, check the logs again.

Start > Right click 'My Computer' > Manage > Device Manger > Disk Drives > you can find your hard drive model here

As far as the Disk cleanup / More option goes - The More Options is a tab after you click 'disk cleanup' on your C: Properties

For more info on your Second event error - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692290%28WS.10%29.aspx

I wouldn't worry about that second error though, until you fix your IO error.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:24 PM
  • I've run chkdsk before, but I did it again and no problems were found.  I ran the OEM disk diagnostics, and again no problems found.

Regarding the disk cleanup, you must run cleanup as administrator to get the More tab on this system.  It is Windows 7 64 Ultimate.  I did what you suggested - Shadow Copy / System Restore cleanup , and Backup still fails with the same errors. 
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Did you get the same errors? I was able to run cleanup under my account, although I am part of the admin group. Your backup that runs, does it run under an administrator account?

I've rebuilt Shadow Copy ver 1.1 before, but not under windows 7, so I'll just start with the files that need to be registered.

1. From command prompt:

Cd windows\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll -------- I had XP, I guess this should work for 2003 only.
    regsvr32 msxml.dll -------- the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll -------- if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll
    net start vss
    net start swprv
    exit

test your backup again.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hi

Here are the steps to get the more options in disk cleanup.

1. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Cleanup.

2. In the drop down menu, select the drive you want to clean up and click OK. The drive will be scanned.

3. In the next window, select the Clean up system files button.

4. Select the drive again and click OK.

5. In the next window, select the More Options Tab. In the System Restore and Shadow Copies section, click the Clean up button and click OK.

6. In the next window, select the Delete Button.

This will remove all of the temporary files and all but the latest System Restore Points.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:03 AM
  • I got the same errors as before. Backup might run slightly longer but the errors remain the same. 
    My account has administrator rights and that was the account I was using to run Backup.  However, I re-ran Backup as sdministrator and got the exact same failure on Backup as before.  The IO errror I get is a failure to read the shadow copy file.  I'm not sure I made that clear before.

Before following the steps you provided, I checked my windows\system32 folder for the dll files to be registered and here are the results. 

I have them all, until we get to vssui.dll. I have a vss_ps.dll, a vssapi.dll, a vsstrace.dll, and a vsswmi.dll but no vssui.dll.  I haven't a clue which one to use in place of the vssui.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll -------- the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.

No msxml.dll but I do have msxml3.dll, msxml3r.dll, mssml6.dll and msxml6r.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

I assume that this entry shold be either msxml6.dll or msxml6r.dll and that the one above should be msxml3.dll or msxml3r.dll.

If you can give me some idea of which of these dll's to use in each step I'd appecicate it.  I don't want to make my problem worse than  it is. 
    Thanks for your help and suggestions
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Thanks, your suggestion worked to get to the More Optios Tab. I've deleted the System Restore and  Shadow Copies but Backup still fails as you can probably tell be reading the prior post.  I'm open to all suggestions to get this problem fixed.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:41 PM
  • I got the same errors as before. Backup might run slightly longer but the errors remain the same. 
    My account has administrator rights and that was the account I was using to run Backup.  However, I re-ran Backup as sdministrator and got the exact same failure on Backup as before.  The IO errror I get is a failure to read the shadow copy file.  I'm not sure I made that clear before.

Before following the steps you provided, I checked my windows\system32 folder for the dll files to be registered and here are the results. 

I have them all, until we get to vssui.dll . I have a vss_ps.dll, a vssapi.dll, a vsstrace.dll, and a vsswmi.dll but no vssui.dll.  I haven't a clue which one to use in place of the vssui.dll

No msxml.dll but I do have msxml3.dll, msxml3r.dll, mssml6.dll and msxml6r.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

I assume that this entry shold be either msxml6.dll or msxml6r.dll and that the one above should be msxml3.dll or msxml3r.dll.

If you can give me some idea of which of these dll's to use in each step I'd appecicate it.  I don't want to make my problem worse than  it is. 
    Thanks for your help and suggestions
    I can't give you a definite answer on that, but personally I would register all of the above, I really can't see it making anything worse. Also, you can easily un-register the .dll's - Plus you may run into an error when you register them, which could lead to a resolution!

Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:54 PM
  • I started to register the dll's and got to swprv.dll and got this error code:

Module swprv.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

I started chasing this error code but I have to give it up for today.  Maybe this will provide a clue.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:57 PM
  • I'll start taking a look when a I get a few. Thanks for the update.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you run System File Checker or perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

In-place Upgrade

============

1.    Start the computer.

2.    Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3.    Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

a.     If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

b.     If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b2. Click Install now.

4.    When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:59 AM
  • I started to register the dll's and got to swprv.dll and got this error code:

Module swprv.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

I started chasing this error code but I have to give it up for today.  Maybe this will provide a clue.

When you register these DLL's, set the VSS and MSSCP services to manual (they SHOULD already be @ manual and meant to for the backup) and stop them -

Also, run the CMD elevated (right clicking on CMD > Run as Administrator), ensure you are in the c:\windows\system directory when you register

Lastly, you can replace (after renaming it to .old) the file with an original

You can also try all these things under a Clean Boot, to ensure that nothing is stopping the register - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

If you still can't get it to register, I have a feeling the issue is the link to Com+ which I have fixed multiple times in XP / Server 03 - but not in Windows 7...

I would have to agree with Arthur_Li with a repair install on Windows 7 - Outlined here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Good Luck!
    Monday, January 18, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions jpag4947 and Arthur_Li.  I'll be busy for a while trying these steps.  I'll let you know how this project progresses.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 5:25 PM
  • I first tried registering the dll's from an elavated cmd prompt in the c:\windows\system32 directory.  I ignored the 0x80070715 errors for the time being and continued on.  When I tried to register es.dll I got a message "The module es.dll was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.  Make sure that es.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."  It is valid and located in the System32 folder.  At this point I ran sfc /scannow and that ran error free.

I then decided to do a repair install per Arthur_Li's suggestion.  Well the Windows 7 install disc is supplied by Toshiba and is different apparently from the ones supplied by MS.  I have 3 options on the supplied disc: 1. Modify the Installation, 2. Repair, and 3. Remove Windows 7.
    I ran Repair, it ran with no errors detected and no re-install of the system.  I ran modify, but all features were already installed so no reload of the system took place.  Backup still fails - no change.

This machine is a 64 bit Toshiba Laptop which originally shipped to me with Vista Ultimate 64.  Toshiba supplied me with the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 upgrade and it installed with no problem.  I've contacted Toshiba about this Backup problem previously, and they say it is beyond their expertise to resolve and told me to contact Microsoft. Microsoft is willing to work with me for a price.  Wonderful!

I plan on contacting Toshiba tomorrow to find out what state the machine is left in if I do a complete Remove.  My assumption is that I would then have to reload the original Vista Ultimate 64, and then repeat the upgrade in place.  I don't believe that I can do a clean install using the Update Disc that they supplied to me.  I'd really hate to have to go all the way back to Vista 64 and then, assuming the problem is related to the upgrade in place to Windows 7, repeat this whole scenario bug and all.

Monday, January 18, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Sorry to hear about your issue not getting resolved, I had a feeling the repair wouldn't fix it.  Unfortunately the VSS / Shadow copy is configured different than it was in the past, I can't find its com+ dependency on my Win7 load, and we don't to break your Win7 install (or mine :) )

You can do a clean install with the upgrade disc - http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

I've always done the method of install clean, not putting in a product key for demo, then upgrading the clean install with the product key.

Have a good one.

• Marked as answer by Bobem Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:56 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Hi Bobem,

As you have pointed out that your backups were working fine in the beginning, I think there is some AV holding a lock on a file inculded in your backup. You need to run the AV installed on your machine and delete/quaratine the infected file. They retry backup.

For more details you can follow this thread:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/8be1ce21-a23d-4d2b-8563-5882dc73a383

Please revert back with your findings.

Thanks,
    Neha
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Neha, I may have been unclear about when Backup worked.  It worked when Windows Vista Ultimate 64 was installed on this machine.  It has never worked since I did the upgrade in place to Windows 7 Ultimate 64. 
    I run McAfee AV scans on the entire system weekly and it is enabled at all times.  I have no infected files, quarantined or otherwise on this machine that I am aware of.  The only time I turn off AV is when I try to do a Backup, and during those times I am disconnected.  I have done a full system scan within the past three days, and a "quick scan" daily. 

Thanks for the suggestion, Neha
    Bobem
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:55 PM
  • jpag4947,
    I'm going to try your method re the clean install later on today.  It makes more sense than trying another dance with Toshiba.

This is the one issue that I have with Win7.  By and large I am really happy with the performance of the system.  I can do a data file backup but not being able to back up the system is not something I want to continue with.  Sooner or later it will come back to bite me.
    Thanks for your help and the links...

Bobem

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Finally success!  I talked w Toshiba and found that I could use their supplied disc to do a Clean Install.  Backup works after doing the install!  Now all I need to do is reload all my stuff.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.  It all helped to get to the solution.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Bobem -

I am glad to hear your issue is resolved! Too bad it had to come to a clean install, I am always interested in portions of Windows that break and what it takes to fix them! Never the less, having a backup is more important than not having a backup.

Have a good one!
    Josh
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:24 AM
  • I had this problem and scanned for virus'.  A malware was found and removed and the backup ran successfully.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Here's what worked for me ... The Shadow Copy service was stopped. malware had set the Shadow Copy Service to manual and it was NOT started. Set the service to automatic and started the service. Perfect backup. Volume Shadow Copy is the service ....
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:11 PM