none
Windows 8 refresh - mails gone in Windows Live Mail

Question

• After Windows 8 failed to boot properly, I did a 'refresh' because it promised only to remove programs, no data or personal files.

After the refresh everything worked fine again, but It seems all my e-mails in Windows Live Mail 2012 are gone?

Are they kept somewhere on my harddrive as promised and do I overlook them? Or are they gone forever?

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:52 PM

Answers

• If you download mails from mail server via pop3, they are stored locally as part of your user profile.

In this case these mails eventually may not be part of the preserved data during a refresh, since as each other 3rd party application Windows Essentials are not part of a default Windows setup. The description says that data, settings and metro style apps are preserved, but I do not use WLM on my Windows 8 system, so I cannot tell, where it stores the messages. Maybe they are still somewhere, and the new installation of WLM 2012 only did not know about it, or there is a bug not considering the mails as data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please understand that the email should be saved on Mail Server site. As a result, refresh system will not affect it. Please try to access Windows Live Mail via Internet directly and check if the mails still exist.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Thank you for your answer, but I mean the Windows Live Mail 2012 software, part of Windows Essentials.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:03 AM
  • If you download mails from mail server via pop3, they are stored locally as part of your user profile.

In this case these mails eventually may not be part of the preserved data during a refresh, since as each other 3rd party application Windows Essentials are not part of a default Windows setup. The description says that data, settings and metro style apps are preserved, but I do not use WLM on my Windows 8 system, so I cannot tell, where it stores the messages. Maybe they are still somewhere, and the new installation of WLM 2012 only did not know about it, or there is a bug not considering the mails as data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:28 AM